Automatic parking brake feature - some thoughts

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
J-R

Automatic parking brake feature - some thoughts

Post by J-R » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:28 am

Some thoughts about the automatic parking brake feature which might be useful for anyone just getting their bear...

For the first two weeks I had the car, this feature totally annoyed me and I turned if off (which, luckily, remains off indefinitely, even after many new drives). It annoyed me, because every other car I ever had started moving forward slowly when I released the brake pedal, but with this feature engaged, the car just sits there until you tap the gas pedal.

However, during a couple of hours of driving yesterday (both city and highway), I decided to give it another go. Once I started getting used to it, I actually found it to be quite convenient, it just takes unlearning some old habits.

The idea of the about the automatic parking brake feature is that as soon as you come to a complete stop (and I mean, immediately), the parking brake automatically engages. This takes some getting used to, but it means that every time you stop (e.g., at a red light), you can immediately relax both feet on the floor instead of holding the brake pedal the whole time until the light turns green. This is convenient and comfortable.

The only time I find that this feature interferes is during parking maneuvers. When making small movements, I want to be able to take my foot off the pedal so that the car can inch forward in idle. When you're forced to tap the gas pedal to get moving each time, it's too easy to give a bit too much gas and the result is jerking forward and stopping hard. So, for these situations, it might be a good idea to temporarily disable the feature.

JR
2019 Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 150bhp, 7-speed DSG, 2WD, 18" wheels, 7 seats, metallic silver, Kessy, Bolero, 3-zone climate, wireless cellphone charging, 9 airbags, Adaptive Cruise Control, blind spot warning, front & rear parking sensors, reverse camera.

Kenny R

Re: Automatic parking brake feature - some thoughts

Post by Kenny R » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:03 am

Don’t forget with autohold on, if you just lightly touch the brakes you can stop and if your release the brake the car will creep, it’s only a harder push that engages the autohold. Takes a bit of practice.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

old man

Post by old man » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:36 pm

The only time I find that this feature interferes is during parking maneuvers. When making small movements, I want to be able to take my foot off the pedal so that the car can inch forward in idle. When you're forced to tap the gas pedal to get moving each time, it's too easy to give a bit too much gas and the result is jerking forward and stopping hard. So, for these situations, it might be a good idea to temporarily disable the feature.

When I pull up outside of my drive and then put the DSG in reverse, there's always an annoying delay before the car actually begins to move backwards.
After reading the above comment, I thought that disabling the auto parking brake might eliminate this delay but unfortunately it didn't :(
I assume all DSG cars are the same ?

J-R

Post by J-R » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:51 pm

When I pull up outside of my drive and then put the DSG in reverse, there's always an annoying delay before the car actually begins to move backwards.
Agree. This one-second delay is a nuisance, and it happens whether the auto parking brake is on or off. Would also be happy to hear if there is a solution.

JR
2019 Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 150bhp, 7-speed DSG, 2WD, 18" wheels, 7 seats, metallic silver, Kessy, Bolero, 3-zone climate, wireless cellphone charging, 9 airbags, Adaptive Cruise Control, blind spot warning, front & rear parking sensors, reverse camera.

KennyG

Post by KennyG » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:49 pm

I’ve had problems with the brakes not coming off after I’ve stopped, and having to turn the handbrake off manually!🙄😡😡

C2atb

Post by C2atb » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:09 am

Was it when you was on a hill by any chance ?
Black magic 1.4 SE ,7 seats , canton , rear view , privacy glass with tints, heko wind deflectors , ambient lighting , Amundsen , kessy , power tailgate/foot ,DCC, 22” OZ wheels , sportline style grill,montecarlo badges , ghost lights

Zach

Post by Zach » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:30 am

Auto hold doesn't use the EPB (electronic parking brake), and instead maintains the hydraulic pressure in the brake lines after you let go of the brake. If the EPB came on from using auto hold alone, you were stopped for too long (~10 mins) or the seatbelt unclipped/driver door opened/ignition off.
BW32 2017 Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey Metallic + Sirius rims, Extended Warranty, Panoramic Sunroof, heated washer jets, sleep pack, rear heated seats, 3rd key + driver profiles| RS to come..?

DrMatt

Post by DrMatt » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:12 pm

If you want to use the brake pedal to manoeuvre you can press the autohold button near the gearstick to turn it off.
Ordered in September 2018; collected 18th December. 1.5TSi ACT DSG Edition in Black Magic (the one true colour!) with Virtual Pedal. What a beast!! Why did I waste 20 years of hard earned cash on Audis?

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”