Car thieves can steal your motor in just six seconds using gadget that’s LEGAL

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
J-R

Car thieves can steal your motor in just six seconds using gadget that’s LEGAL

Post by J-R » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:34 am

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8406759/k ... al-gadget/

"With a scanner, it took a mere six seconds to unlock a Ford Focus and start the engine ... Next quickest to be swiped were a Skoda Kodiaq and a Nissan Qashqai. Both took ten seconds."

Very frightening. :o

JR
2019 Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 150bhp, 7-speed DSG, 2WD, 18" wheels, 7 seats, metallic silver, Kessy, Bolero, 3-zone climate, wireless cellphone charging, 9 airbags, Adaptive Cruise Control, blind spot warning, front & rear parking sensors, reverse camera.

wheelwright

Re: Car thieves can steal your motor in just six seconds using gadget that’s LEGAL

Post by wheelwright » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:10 am

Just make it harder for them to steal, Disklok, a good visual deterant, Signal blocking bags for keyless entry.
Both of these I have in redness for my march delivery but unfortunately if they want it......
Ordered 20.7.18 delivery 1.3.19
Black magic 2.0tsi SEL 7 Seats 190 4x4 dsg
Beige heated leather front & rear
Heated steering wheel, Folding tables
Remote folding rear seats,
19" Black Gloss Triglav alloys

Old and Grumpy

Re: Car thieves can steal your motor in just six seconds using gadget that’s LEGAL

Post by Old and Grumpy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:04 pm

I appreciate having keyless start/stop but I never have liked the idea of keyless entry/exit, so I didn't ask for it thank goodness.
Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, wiggly stick, 5 seater, Petrol blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys. Melton Mowbray.
My best car in 55 years of driving, including my previous Superb. :)

ChristianScout190

Post by ChristianScout190 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:11 pm

When you exit the car, press lock on the fob and then touch the outer handle sensor.... This disables the keyless entry.

Jaguar landrover will be releasing keys that have a movement sensor in them. Keyless signal will only work if the key is moving. It cannot be scanned when holing up in your jacket pocket... So simple
Scout 190 TDI 4x4 DSG
Gaffer tape is like 'the force'... It has a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together.

J-R

Post by J-R » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:22 pm

When you exit the car, press lock on the fob and then touch the outer handle sensor.... This disables the keyless entry.
I didn't know about this tip, thanks much! I did find it mentioned in the manual:

Deactivating KESSY
› Lock the vehicle with the button  on the key.
› Within 5 s, touch the sensor on the door handle with your finger » Fig. 51 on
page 61 - . Deactivation is confirmed by a single flash of the direction indicators.
› To check the deactivation, wait at least 10 seconds and then pull the door
handle. The door must remain locked.
The KESSY system is activated again automatically after the vehicle is unlocked.

Probably a good idea to get into the habit of doing this in public garages and the like, where thieves might be lurking.

JR
2019 Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 150bhp, 7-speed DSG, 2WD, 18" wheels, 7 seats, metallic silver, Kessy, Bolero, 3-zone climate, wireless cellphone charging, 9 airbags, Adaptive Cruise Control, blind spot warning, front & rear parking sensors, reverse camera.

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:15 pm

If you de activate the Keyless entry as described when out and about and put your keys in a Faraday pouch when at home, then you’ve done your best to protect yourself from someone stealing your car, I wouldn’t worry too much about it.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”