Door edge protector removal

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
rdguk

Door edge protector removal

Post by rdguk » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi All,

Picked up our new Kodiaq yesterday but today one of the edge protectors deploys no problem but doesn’t go back in again when closing the door

I’ve seen the thread about issues and that people have removed it but any tips on how you do that? I don’t want to break it after only owning 24hrs!

I can only think temporarily remove and get it booked into the dealer to fix

Any tips appreciated

Thanks
1.5TSI SEL DSG in Moon White with F/R Sensors

Old and Grumpy

Re: Door edge protector removal

Post by Old and Grumpy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:09 pm

Try pushing it into its slot with the door open only about 4 inches. It should then click into place.

If not just pull it away from the door to detach it until you get to the dealer.
Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, Manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys.

My best car yet. :)

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:20 pm

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2251&hilit=Beardface

This might help although some didn’t think so.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Edition - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey - Canton
Sportline on order with Virtual Cockpit.

rdguk

Post by rdguk » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:47 pm

Thanks for the replies those videos do help

It’s a very similar issue to the video, but it doesn’t try and retract unless I give it a helping hand

I’ve tried to push it in, but no click so guess that where the issue is

I was worried just pulling hard would do some other damage but will go and give that a bash shortly then

There not a huge amount of options as it won’t shut right now without almost taking my fingers off :)

Cheers

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:39 pm

As I understand from video 3.....You have to pull it out far enough to stick a screwdriver into a slot, to stop the mechanism retracting when you push it back in. Then push the protecter back until it clicks it does if you don't jam it with a screwdriver is retreats away from you.
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

rdguk

Post by rdguk » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:44 pm

Just to say thanks for the help to those that replied the offending edge protector has been removed and my local dealer confirmed that it is the mechanism that is broken, and they have a bulletin from
Skoda saying it is definitely not covered under warranty :( My supplying dealer has been great though and said they will fix as it is so new

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:24 pm

rdguk wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:44 pm
Just to say thanks for the help to those that replied the offending edge protector has been removed and my local dealer confirmed that it is the mechanism that is broken, and they have a bulletin from
Skoda saying it is definitely not covered under warranty :( My supplying dealer has been great though and said they will fix as it is so new
Tell them to stick it!

Fed up of hearing Skoda Dealers saying it’s the owners fault when in reality it’s just bad design. I was told the same but after an open and honest discussion with Skoda Customer Relations highlighting the errors of their ways the repaired it as a ‘good will gesture’.

Don’t accept the dealers word and take it to Skoda UK.

This feature is not fit for purpose and it’s about time Skoda addressed the issue.

rdguk

Post by rdguk » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:28 pm

Yep agreed I will raise it with Skoda too

The supplying dealer is fixing it for me, so no cost either way but clearly is a fundamental issue

My local dealer said they get numerous people coming in every month!

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:32 pm

rdguk wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:28 pm
Yep agreed I will raise it with Skoda too

The supplying dealer is fixing it for me, so no cost either way but clearly is a fundamental issue

My local dealer said they get numerous people coming in every month!
The dealer I went to refused point blank to repair so if your dealer is doing it free of charge then fair play to them and they deserve your custom. Good Skoda dealers appear to be a rarity, still trying to find one.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:02 am

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:24 pm
rdguk wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:44 pm
Tell them to stick it!

Fed up of hearing Skoda Dealers saying it’s the owners fault when in reality it’s just bad design. I was told the same but after an open and honest discussion with Skoda Customer Relations highlighting the errors of their ways the repaired it as a ‘good will gesture’.

Don’t accept the dealers word and take it to Skoda UK.
This feature is not fit for purpose and it’s about time Skoda addressed the issue.
I agree entirely with FA.
My dealer (Meadens of Brockenhurst) also replaced it FOC after both they & I had spoken to a Customer Services Manager, who also said that they would supply and fit the new mechanism FOC for ALL 4 doors.(that was a year ago and it still hasn't materialised as far as I am aware) I sold the car before the latter materialised.
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”