Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Wireless phone charger

15K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  C2atb 
#1 ·
Hi I just bought a Samsung S9 and I would like to charge it wirelessly while driving my Kodiaq.
I don't think my Kodiaq has the wireless capability. Do you know if there is a box than I get buy to charge my phone?thanks.

#2 ·
#6 ·
The Samsung S9 does fit into the phone box compartment on mine but it's wireless charging, not sure if that helps as it doesn't acout for any connection lead.

#8 ·
Breizhoubzh said:
Hi FoxtrotAlpha,
How can I get the wireless capability on my Kodiaq?
And how much is it?
Mines the Edition so it was as standard equipment, sorry if I misled you. I was just saying the the S9 fits in the space (with a case).

#9 ·
This topic has confused me. I charge my iphone with a short USB lead in the cubby space in front of the gear lever. Is there an actual NO WIRE needed facility?

#11 ·
Some Kodiaq have it built in (possibly edition does?). My SEL didn't. I used the solution as per scratch's reply above. £10 wireless charger works absolutely fine (note - plug into the lighter socket not the USB - it charges faster)

Can't remember the make of my one (if tou searh the forum you might find it) but it was just off Amazon. Watch the size as the other one I have would be too big to fit in the gap in the car.

#12 ·
#13 ·
LordJellybelly said:
This topic has confused me. I charge my iphone with a short USB lead in the cubby space in front of the gear lever. Is there an actual NO WIRE needed facility?
The Edition has the wireless Qi interface but not sure about other models, it was also launched with a signal booster but it has been suggested this has been removed from the U.K. specification and in some cases being removed by dealers.

Of course depending on your iPhone model it will depend if you can use one anyway, Apple have been very late in adopting Qi so unless it's a newer model then you are stuffed anyway. Another reason why I hate Apple.

#15 ·
Richjt said:
They have stopped doing the wireless charging option at the moment.
It seems strange that the wireless charging option is available on the Seat Tarraco in the UK yet not available on a Kodiaq, while the option for wireless charging on Kodiaqs is still available in the rest of Europe.

I thought Kodiaqs sold in the UK came with an EU Certificate of Conformity and therefore supposed licensing problems regarding the signal booster should not have been a problem. I believe Skoda UK need to be rather more open as to exactly why the wireless charging option was withdrawn in the UK,

#16 ·
See the response from Skoda UK:
Thank you for your recent contact with ŠKODA Customer Services.

It is unfortunate that Phonebox with wireless charging has been removed from standard specifications and as an option across the ŠKODA range. I apologise for any concerns you may have regarding this but at this time we have no information about its reinstatement

#17 ·
Breizhoubzh said:
See the response from Skoda UK:
Thank you for your recent contact with ŠKODA Customer Services.

It is unfortunate that Phonebox with wireless charging has been removed from standard specifications and as an option across the ŠKODA range. I apologise for any concerns you may have regarding this but at this time we have no information about its reinstatement
That's my point exactly - it only applies to Skoda models in the UK, whereas the phonebox and signal amplifier is still standard fit elsewhere in Europe.

#18 ·
I'm no expert in this, but after a bit of background reading, I learned that:
Use of mobile boosters in the UK is subject to regulation of, and licensing by, Ofcom.
Ofcom announced that they would be allowing certain arrangements for having mobile boosters in cars.
On 12 April 2018, the new arrangements were announced.
They give a limit on power and frequencies involved, but ... they require that a booster deals with boosting the signals of ONLY ONE SUPPLIER. So you can have a Vodaphone booster, or a 3 booster, and so on, but not an all-purpose booster - like Skoda were busy installing!

Ofcom covers the UK, but not the rest of Europe.

Perhaps Skoda haven't yet sorted out a charger that doesn't include a booster?

#19 ·
Thanks DaveM, but (without getting into politics) I thought an EU Certificate of Conformity superceded anything from Ofcom at least until such time as the UK has departed the EU.

Is the Skoda signal amplifier specific to Skoda alone or is it a standard VAG product used by other brands seemingly unaffected in the UK, eg Seat, VW, Audi, Porsche, Bentley? I really do not believe SUK have either been open and honest about the problem nor devoted proper resources to find a solution.

#20 ·
My understanding is that licensing of radio frequencies is a specific to individual countries - for example Ofcom get to decide which frequencies Vodafone can use, but that doesn't mean Vodafone can use those same frequencies in France.

Skoda's mobile signal booster was amplifying a range of frequencies, which is legal in other European countries, but happened to include a frequency that it is illegal to use in the UK. Consequently Skoda had to disable the booster for cars sold in the UK. Presumably either SEAT use a newer booster that doesn't use the same frequency, or their wireless charger doesn't include a booster at all. At the time, VW cars were also affected by the same issue. I don't know if they still are.

It was very poorly handled and communicated by Skoda at the time. My dealer was particularly inept in understanding or communicating the issue to me. Even less impressive that they still haven't managed to fix it.

If you search, there were a number of technical documents shared by people on forums that explained the issue in some detail, and provided links to the specific UK regulations that VW/Skoda fell foul of.

#22 ·
There's a phone box for sale on eBay but not sure if it will just be plug and play

Might be ok for just charging ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.