Kodiaq chrome trim

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Pete_g

Kodiaq chrome trim

Post by Pete_g » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:44 pm

Almost a month and a half into my ownership and enjoying the new car. Very different to my old BMW 5 series but pleased so far.

I have encountered my first issue related to the chrome trim surrounding the door. It had its first wash on the 31st Dec after a long road trip where I lovingly applied the autoglym bodywork shampoo conditioner ( which was diluted into a bucket of water and used to clean the car). After rinsing and drying off with a microfiber cloth the chrome appears pitted and cannot be dried clean.

This car had driven only 1500 miles and had not been washed by anyone else and all cleaning by me was hand wash.

The dealer has asked me refer the matter to Autogym to investigate if they will admit responsibility to the problem ( unlikely but doing as asked ) and then said they would review it as a warranty claim.

Does anyone else have same experience and if so can they advise what they have done to resolve issue and perhaps protect the chrome trim from more damage from simple washing products.

I am afraid to clean the car now in case more damage occurs.

Many thanks for advice or comments.
Kodiaq Scout 190 TDI DSG 4x4, Quartz Grey. Pano Sunroof, Driver Assist Pack, Area View, Htd steering wheel/ windscreen/ washers, Park assist, Traffic sign recog , Canton , Htd Fr/ Rr seats. Collected 1st December.

Colin Lambert

Re: Kodiaq chrome trim

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:48 pm

Pete,
Some people have had this sort of problem, so hopefully they will pick up on your thread.
I was lucky and did not have the problem so can be no help personally. Over to others.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

old man

Post by old man » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:48 pm

There was a thread about this problem last year to which I contributed, but unfortunately I can't remember if it was here or on Briskoda.
I had a similar problem early in my Kodiaq ownership but mine was caused by tree sap rather than water. I should state here that I normally wash my own car, and I almost always dry it afterwards with a microfibre cloth.
I asked my dealer if this was a known problem, and if so, did they know of a product that would remove the marks. I had negative replies to both questions.
I therefore decided to have a go at removing them myself trying several different cleaning/polishing products in my armoury.
Long story short, the one that worked was Autosol, but it was a slow process which took several careful applications and polishings to avoid rubbing the adjacent paintwork.
Having removed the marks and not wanting them to reappear, I then coated the trims with Aerospace 303. This will need reapplication occasionally. But has worked so far I think, but I can't be sure as I do now make the effort to dry my car each time I wash it.
I do wonder if the marks are caused by hard water rather than a cleaning product, but I think it can be prevented by coating the trims with what I used, or even a normal car polish and then drying the car after washing.

Unless there's a glut of owners documenting the same problem, I think it's unlikely that dealers will replace trims, and how do we know that replacements will be any better ?

It would be good to know if any owners with the same problem have had a positive result after complaining to their dealer.

Steve101

Post by Steve101 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:13 pm

Yes it is on the Briskoda Forum, 18th June 2018, under the heading ‘marking on chrome around front windows’ , do a search and you will find it.

Steve
Kodiaq 1.5 TSI Edition, quartz grey, heated window, rear camera, front parking sensors, mud flaps, personalisation, space saver wheel

Pete_g

Post by Pete_g » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:32 pm

Thanks for your comments. I’m not hoping for much from Skoda based on the comments made so far. All my previous cars have had chrome trims and none of them have ever tarnished during the life of the car and I tend to keep my cars about 8 years.

Appears they don’t make this part of a Skoda with the best quality parts and I may have to suffer the indignity of having a new car which looks like a 10 year old one ( as far as the chrome trim anyway). Certainly not after 1 month of ownership.

Will update you on my progress but for now I will take the advice on how to protect the chrome from further deterioration. Not going to apply any product or even clean the car until the formal response from the dealer.

Autoglym advised me today that their products are PH neutral and that they are proven not to cause issues with chrome trims.

Peter
Kodiaq Scout 190 TDI DSG 4x4, Quartz Grey. Pano Sunroof, Driver Assist Pack, Area View, Htd steering wheel/ windscreen/ washers, Park assist, Traffic sign recog , Canton , Htd Fr/ Rr seats. Collected 1st December.

Steve101

Post by Steve101 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:39 pm

Pete_g wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:32 pm
Thanks for your comments. I’m not hoping for much from Skoda based on the comments made so far. All my previous cars have had chrome trims and none of them have ever tarnished during the life of the car and I tend to keep my cars about 8 years.

Appears they don’t make this part of a Skoda with the best quality parts and I may have to suffer the indignity of having a new car which looks like a 10 year old one ( as far as the chrome trim anyway). Certainly not after 1 month of ownership.

Will update you on my progress but for now I will take the advice on how to protect the chrome from further deterioration. Not going to apply any product or even clean the car until the formal response from the dealer.

Autoglym advised me today that their products are PH neutral and that they are proven not to cause issues with chrome trims.

Peter
Hi Pete

Read the Briskoda forum, other people have had the same problem!

Steve
Kodiaq 1.5 TSI Edition, quartz grey, heated window, rear camera, front parking sensors, mud flaps, personalisation, space saver wheel

Pete_g

Post by Pete_g » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:48 pm

Thanks Steve. I did read it based on your last post.

Basically says Skoda don’t take responsibility for this and it would cost approx £400 per door to replace.

Hoping Skoda review this given age of car and the fact that it’s only been hand washed once with recommended products. I never let my car dry without wiping down so amazed this could happen so quickly. The post from “old man” about using the products to protect it is very helpful.

Honestly though I’ve never had to protect chrome trim from water and ph neutral cleaning products before on any car.

Pete

Steve101

Post by Steve101 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:20 pm

Pete_g wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:48 pm
Thanks Steve. I did read it based on your last post.

Basically says Skoda don’t take responsibility for this and it would cost approx £400 per door to replace.

Hoping Skoda review this given age of car and the fact that it’s only been hand washed once with recommended products. I never let my car dry without wiping down so amazed this could happen so quickly. The post from “old man” about using the products to protect it is very helpful.

Honestly though I’ve never had to protect chrome trim from water and ph neutral cleaning products before on any car.

Pete
Hi Pete

In the Briskoda thread the one dealer is quoted as saying ‘not another car with that problem’. If you get a negative response from dealer I would take up with Skoda UK on the basis that you are aware that other owners have had the same problem, and that if they do not resolve to your satisfaction you will be writing to all the car magazines with the problem and consider a claim through the small claims court. Do not accept it! It’s the door that squeaks that gets the oil. Good luck, I would be gutted if it happened to me.

Steve

old man

Post by old man » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:31 pm

Even if Skoda take responsibility for this, do you want an apprentice or a technician who's never done the job before ripping off your trims and replacing them ?
Might be worth trying Autosol in a very small area to see if it works. What have you lost if it doesn't ?

Steve101

Post by Steve101 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:35 pm

old man wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:31 pm
Even if Skoda take responsibility for this, do you want an apprentice or a technician who's never done the job before ripping off your trims and replacing them ?
Might be worth trying Autosol in a very small area to see if it works. What have you lost if it doesn't ?
Good point!

On the Briskoda thread someone used WD 40 with good results.

Steve

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”