1.5 TSI DSG Engine - First impressions

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Steve101

1.5 TSI DSG Engine - First impressions

Post by Steve101 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:26 pm

For those people that have already taken possession of a Kodiaq with a 1.5 TSI engine - what are your first impressions - how does it compare with the 1.4?

Thanks

Steve
On order September 2018, Kodiaq 1.5 TSI Edition, quartz grey, heated window, rear camera, front parking sensors.

Colin Lambert

Re: 1.5 TSI DSG Engine - First impressions

Post by Colin Lambert » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:21 pm

Can't really compare since my 1.5 is in the Karoq. Smaller & lighter. As an engine it is brilliant when warmed up but in the Karoq at least , there is a not uncommon problem when cold in that it sometimes gives a very slight 'kangaroo' unless you give it a quick dollop of throttle. Apparently Skoda are working on a software update. Won't hold my breath then!!
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Professor1999

Post by Professor1999 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:52 am

Kangaroo with a DSG, never heard of that in an auto.
Have to say kodiaq is my first Skoda and bit by bit the demons are occurring. First connect packs up, then dab presets disappear. What joy next - start/stop issues, random boot, door protectors, can’t wait ?
Have to say I just don’t see why you guys are so pro Skoda at least from a reliability point of view. It’s still early days but the omens are not good.
Kodiaq Sportline 1.4 TSI 7st 4WD Velvet Red
Pan roof; Rear view camera; Adaptive cruise control; Spare wheel

SkodiaqDK

Post by SkodiaqDK » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:09 am

Well, they have probably fixed some problems after shutting down the factory this summer and preparing for MY19.
DK - ordered week 17 - Kodiaq 2.0 tsi style 5 seats. Black. Ventilated seats, lane assist, towbar, blis, acc, heated windscreen, sign recogn, amundsen, park assist with area view, rear cam, electric trunk, virtual cockpit. Delivery ~ no one knows

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:52 am

It is not a violent 'Kanga', more like a slight hiccup or hesitation. Giving it a quick dab on the throttle cures it.
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

DrMatt

Post by DrMatt » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:03 pm

To be honest, it isn't limited to Skoda models, I have had three Audi S-Tronic/DSG models now and all of them have done the same from time to time. You get used to it...
Ordered in September 2018; collecting 19th December. 1.5TSi ACT Edition DSG in Black Magic with Virtual Pedal.

saab.si

Post by saab.si » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:19 am

Steve101 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:26 pm
For those people that have already taken possession of a Kodiaq with a 1.5 TSI engine - what are your first impressions - how does it compare with the 1.4?

Thanks

Steve
Hi Steve,

We have it but only done 300 km till now, so still did not take it for a "real drive" waiting to hit the 1500 km before I floor it. Consumption 7,3l/100km (with a mix 30% highway, 40% city and 30% open roads) according to BC. I had a Octavia 1.6 TDI Greenline before, but this one has more power and runs like on butter (was afraid this will not be enough torque for car this size,..., I am happy) . You hardy even hear the engine. I did not drive any 1.4 TSI before, but would say the main difference is in the 7 speed DSG to 6 speed in the 1.4, maybe Colin can comment.
I like the virtual dash, the "space ship" mode is showing you needed kW at speed. If you are doing 90 km/h you use around 20kW ant highway speed 130 km/h it needs 35-40 kW.
1.5 TSI DSG Ambition, Cappuccino Biege, Virtual Cockpit, ACC160, Lane Assist, Family pack, Tow Bar, Kessy, Heated leather steering wheel with flaps, Heated front seats, DAB, Electric boot opening

Steve101

Post by Steve101 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:46 am

Hi Saab

Glad you are enjoying your new car.

Pleased that the new 1.5 TSI is performing well, is it hesitant when pulling off (kangaroo) like others have been saying?

Carryon enjoying your new car!

Steve
On order September 2018, Kodiaq 1.5 TSI Edition, quartz grey, heated window, rear camera, front parking sensors.

saab.si

Post by saab.si » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:39 pm

Thx. By now I know we will be happy with it for the next 15 years, and I am happy that I did not take any compromise on the spend extra 4k€ for equipment. My wife will be the everyday user and she has a 15km one direction drive to work with speed limits 50-70 km/h, so a 2.0 TSI or TDI would be nonsense.

No Kangaroo under the bonnet, to cold I think :lol: .
The only thing I have noticed if you are a bit slow or should I say too gentle on the throttle from standstill it goes to 2nd gear and does not pull off as you would expect. If this is the term Kangaroo I do not think it is worth talking about since it does not happen very often. This is not the case if you come to a short stop and the 2nd gear is still engaged, in this case no lack.
Our company car Superb 2.0 TDI DSG 6 speed, has a far worse problem if you are pulling away on a moderate slope. Have the situation it in my street while connecting to the main road. The Kodiaq does it like driving a manual while in Superb you can really say it will Kangaroo on the main road and does not care about the 18 whellers with Kangaroo bars. Once you are there at the stop sign and releasing the brake- nothing, putting some throttle- nothing, and then wheel spin, and you better hold on the steering wheel tight. The old ladies on the street are raising their hands since it is a pedestrian zone,.....

So 1.5 TSI DSG is super and fits the character of the car. I find myself enjoin the drive and taking it more easy. When you need acceleration it does it way better then the 1.6 TDI Octavia.
If are crazy about PS, Nm, and F1 cornering abilities you ordered the wrong engine and even the wrong type of car.
1.5 TSI DSG Ambition, Cappuccino Biege, Virtual Cockpit, ACC160, Lane Assist, Family pack, Tow Bar, Kessy, Heated leather steering wheel with flaps, Heated front seats, DAB, Electric boot opening

Steve101

Post by Steve101 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:18 pm

Thanks Saab very helpful. Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Steve

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”