Reversing camera video in the dark please

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
kodiaq-ki

Reversing camera video in the dark please

Post by kodiaq-ki » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:06 pm

Does anyone have a reversing camera on the kodiaq who could help me out by posting a short video of how good it is the dark on an unlit road? Is it usable without using your mirrors to reverse?

Trying to decide whether to fit a reversing camera as the reversing lights are so poor the rear visibility trying to reverse down the lane and 90 deg bend in to the garage is almost impossible.

Both our other cars are fine as the lumination is far better.

Has not been a problem until now as only had the car during the summer.

Looked at reviews of other skoda's with rear cameras but they have a lot better reversing lights so hence want to know how good it is with the kodiaq's poor LED reversing lights.

Local dealers do not have any kodiaq's with camera i can look at to see if they are any good.

Hence before deciding to book it in to have one fitted would like to know if any member can help me out or point me to any links as don't want to spend this sort of money having a camera fitted if it does not help.

MrTrilby

Re: Reversing camera video in the dark please

Post by MrTrilby » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:41 pm

I don’t find ours very good either. The image quality isn’t very good without street lighting, and it only takes a tiny bit of dirt on the lens to make it even worse. I tend to use the mirrors out of habit for manoeuvring, and the camera is mostly useful for checking there’s nothing behind for me to hit or keeping an eye on traffic if I ever have to reverse out of a parking space.
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

DaveM

Post by DaveM » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:26 pm

My impression is the opposite: when reversing in the dark, I can see virtually nothing through the rear window and precious little through the door mirrors. The camera image, though, is excellent, and considerably amplifies the light given out by the reversing lights.

Beyond that, I’d highly recommend the camera anyway, as it assists reversing in daylight and lets you know, within a couple of cm, quite where the back of the car is, as you line up against the carpark markings.
Kodiaq 1.4 DSG SEL 5-seat, capuccino, beige leather, rear camera, front sensors, triglavs, tow hook.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:30 am

MrTrilby wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:41 pm
I don’t find ours very good either. The image quality isn’t very good without street lighting, and it only takes a tiny bit of dirt on the lens to make it even worse. I tend to use the mirrors out of habit for manoeuvring, and the camera is mostly useful for checking there’s nothing behind for me to hit or keeping an eye on traffic if I ever have to reverse out of a parking space.
Have you not discovered the camera washer jet? When you spray the rear screen you get a positive tsunami across the camera lens. (well I do on the Karoq anyway.)
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Swindiaq

Post by Swindiaq » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:25 pm

I also find the camera excellent in all conditions. As Colin says just a quick spray of the rear washer jet will clean it perfectly in a couple of seconds.
2017 SE L / 1.4 TSI 2wd DSG / 7seat / black everything / Canton / front sensors / rear cam / ACC / traffic recog / Williams ceramic protection

ChrisL

Post by ChrisL » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:29 pm

I find the camera good.

The reversing lights of the Kodiaq are however the poorest thing about it. It's time an upgrade was available.
Petrol Blue 2.0TDi 190ps DSG 7 seat Edition with black leather, front/rear parking sensors, heated front windscreen/washer jets, ventilated seats, adaptive cruise control, traffic sign recognition, driver personalisation and rear view camera.

MrTrilby

Post by MrTrilby » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:59 pm

Colin Lambert wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:30 am
MrTrilby wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:41 pm
Have you not discovered the camera washer jet? When you spray the rear screen you get a positive tsunami across the camera lens. (well I do on the Karoq anyway.)
Yes. It can help, but it’s not perfect.
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:34 pm

I admit I did't have a camera on the Kodiaq. Perhaps the Karoq camera has been improved. I find mine excellent day or night. Do you have TWO reversing lights? Are they both working?
Karoq has two.
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

StephenL

Post by StephenL » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:10 pm

Mine has a third-party camera and I find it to have excellent light-gathering power. Being mounted next to the hatch handle means that it doesn't seem to get dirty.
Kodiaq 1.4 Tsi 2wd DSG SE Black, black leather heated seats, Canton, mood lighting, spare wheel, kessy, rear camera (3rd party fitted)

ChrisL

Post by ChrisL » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Colin Lambert wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:34 pm
I admit I did't have a camera on the Kodiaq. Perhaps the Karoq camera has been improved. I find mine excellent day or night. Do you have TWO reversing lights? Are they both working?
Karoq has two.
Two whole LEDs!

Most impressive....not.
Petrol Blue 2.0TDi 190ps DSG 7 seat Edition with black leather, front/rear parking sensors, heated front windscreen/washer jets, ventilated seats, adaptive cruise control, traffic sign recognition, driver personalisation and rear view camera.

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”