Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Ouch new tyre needed

12K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Alan Chapple 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I found a 2 inch screw in my tyre the other day and phoned around for prices, I have Hankook Ventus S1 evo2 and had to pay £176.00 to get one fitted. I wouldn't have minded but the car has only done 3,900 miles.

Steve

#2 ·
One of the reasons (there are others) I don't like taking my Kodiaq to work and so I take the old Honda instead.

The place next door recycles consumer electrics, but because they occupy two units, the forklifts peddle crates of scrap metal back and forth.
They are supposed to regularly clean the roads [edit:between both units], but they don't do so always.

Avg price of new tyre for Honda: £50
Avg price of new tyre for Kodiaq: £150

#3 ·
Has anyone put any all season tyres on the Kodiaq? Any recommendations?

#7 ·
Fraid not, it was only 2cm from the tyre wall.

Steve

#8 ·
I'm still not fully buying all season tyres. If the performance in the cold / wet / snow was as good as a winter, and when hot they don't wear faster than a summer, then why aren't they just the new standard tyre? We run winter tyres on our Skodas.

#14 ·
Kenny R said:
Hugh Fanism said:
Alan Chapple said:
My local tyre guy is offering this as an option when I put my Reg in to see how much he would charge.
Tyres aren't an area you want to be cost cutting on. No chance I'd be putting them on my car.
I'm of the same opinion why spend £30K + on a car then contemplate fitting cheap Chinese ditch finder tyres?
Here in NZ, a lot of the rich Chinese F.O.Bs buy fancy Jags and Range Rovers and proceed to put shitty China tyres on them!!! Idiots imo.

Advice to those with the same mindset... don't skimp on your tyres!!!

#15 ·
Have you checked your tyres for self sealing. The Pirelli Scorpio verde have seal inside, so that when the nail/screw is removed it seals the tyre back up. If you look on the tyre wall you will see "Seal inside". This is just under the 'O' is Scorpio. I pretty sure that the Hancook's have the same sort of thing.

#16 ·
Tyres and brakes are the most important thing on a car, the rest is niceties. Grip and being able to stop effectively are the 2 areas where cost and maintenance should not be skimped on, ever.

#17 ·
markymate said:
Have you checked your tyres for self sealing. The Pirelli Scorpio verde have seal inside, so that when the nail/screw is removed it seals the tyre back up. If you look on the tyre wall you will see "Seal inside". This is just under the 'O' is Scorpio. I pretty sure that the Hancook's have the same sort of thing.
Be careful though as Pirelli state it's for getting you home rather than continued driving.

We had a hole in ours and it didn't seal even with the bolt that had punctured the tyre still in place.

Ours was away from the shoulder though so a repair was possible although it's a bit more of a faff as you ha e to scrape the sealant away from the inside of the affected area before the plug is applied. I had to call around a couple of fitters before I found one prepared to do the work

#19 ·
Hugh Fanism said:
Alan Chapple said:
My local tyre guy is offering this as an option when I put my Reg in to see how much he would charge.
Tyres aren't an area you want to be cost cutting on. No chance I'd be putting them on my car.
Agree totally, I wouldn't either but I assume there must be a market for 'budget' tyres and they suit some people in certain circumstances so just posted up the screenshot for comparison purposes.

As an aside, the website I 'quoted' you just put your Reg No. and it offers 3 options, a budget (see above) a mid range which seems to be circa £100 per tyre and a premium option which was £150 last time I checked. They are literally around the corner from me, and I always use the website for comparison purposes before buying tyres anywhere for either of our cars, and I don't always use them but it gives me something to compare against quickly before I begin shopping around.

P.S. Oddly enough I just put my Kodiaq Reg and they currently have no tyres in stock at any price range.

G
#20 ·
#21 ·
Kenny R said:
Hugh Fanism said:
silver1011 said:
£149 on Blackcircles...

Capture.JPG
Apologies for quoting you again. The price looked too good to be true and it is. The tyre here for £150 might look the same as those fitted but it's not the sealguard variety that comes with car.
This one has sealguard.
https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/hankook-ventus-s1-evo2-k117a-suv-235-50-r19-99-v-sealguard#193043611
That's very decent, even when you add on fitting somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.