Pitting on chrome bits after hand/carwash

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
bobster

Re: Pitting on chrome bits after hand/carwash

Post by bobster » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:25 pm

One suggestion could be that you apply a sealant so the chemicals attack the sealant and not the surface of the trim.

u668857

Post by u668857 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:07 pm

Hi...just bought an ex-demo Karoq (Reg Dec 2017) from Skoda dealer in Slough. It appears I have the same pitting on my chrome window trims. I wonder if you ever heard back from Skoda re. what trims are made of and how to remove engrained stains/marks??
Car still under warranty but sounds like getting them to accept the fault as theirs is tricky! I haven't even washed the car, just had it 3 days now and noticed the quite bad pitted stains on certain parts of the chrome window trim. Hope there's a solution to what seems like a growing problem (Kodiaq and now the Karoq!).

Hamjam

Post by Hamjam » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:10 pm

Hi
About 2 weeks ago I noticed exactly the same thing on my kodiaq. (1 year old now)
I thought it would wipe off but clearly not, it appears ingrained in the chrome (plastic) trim.
I popped into my local dealer to see if they could help or recommend how to get it out. Sadly they don't have a solution and they immediately blamed the hand car washes and specifically Traffic Film remover. (TFR)
I got a quote to replace the affected trims which was silly expensive with labour (£1000+), however whilst talking to the parts man he mentioned they have had the same problem when they wash the cars....(apparently if they do it then they will replace the trims for free). Looking at the various posts it appears the driver and passenger door lower trims are the most frequently affected.... seems a bit odd to me.

It feels like a poor quality trim and skoda should take some responsibility... any suggestions on how I can progress this with my local dealer?
1.4 DSG Edition 7 Seater with a few extras

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:30 pm

I've been following this thread for a while and have been thinking that I've not noticed this on my Skodiaq. Then washing it today I realised that it's because I don't have the chrome trim round the windows on my SE spec. However, my previous Superb Greenline did have them and at five years from new it never suffered from the dreaded pitting. The present Skodiaq has chrome trim round the grill and it's still perfect at a year old. My cars have always been hand washed by me using either Triplewax wash and wax, or more recently Halfords wash and wax. (I wouldn't risk my car with these "hand wash" businesses having seen the mess they've made of my brother-in-law's Jag!). I'm always careful to rinse all the soap off and dry with a microfibre cloth before the water spots have a chance to dry. Perhaps I've just been lucky or by chance I am using the correct products to avoid the chrome damage. Sod's law dictates that I will now get infected. 😮
Last edited by Old and Grumpy on Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, wiggly stick, 5 seater, Petrol blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys. Melton Mowbray.
My best car in 55 years of driving, including my previous Superb. :)

old man

Post by old man » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:42 pm

Looking at the various posts it appears the driver and passenger door lower trims are the most frequently affected.... seems a bit odd to me.

With regard to this comment, many car components are not made in house but are outsourced to other companies. Baring that in mind, I don't suppose it's beyond the realms of possibility that all of the trims are not made by the same company and therefore standards could vary.

It's still a pain in the butt though and shouldn't be happening. :x

Rob M

Post by Rob M » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:57 pm

There are numerous tutorials on YouTube on how to get pitted/rusted chrome back to its former self.

What have you got to lose?
Kodiaq SE L 1.4 150BHP Manual in Moon White Metallic.
1988 Pontiac Firebird 5.0V8 TBI in Red
1991 Lotus Excel 'Hethel Celebration'

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:53 pm

I think that the above may be fine for proper chromium plated steel, but not for the plastic brightwork. It would most likely scratch it terribly that would require a lot of work to bring it back if at all possible.
2019 2.0 TSi 4x4 SE L, 7 seats Business Grey, ACC, front / rear sensors, spare wheel, LED pack.

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”