Pitting on chrome bits after hand/carwash

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Fuzzz

Re: Pitting on chrome bits after hand/carwash

Post by Fuzzz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:08 pm

Bought today Autosol Anodized aluminium polish...its not a skodas fault even my 3 years old Thule bike racks are ruined as my kodiaq chrome trims on one side of the car...
Skoda Kodiaq 2.0TDI 190hp Elegance.

Nickhill007

Post by Nickhill007 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:36 am

I have the same issue with white pitting/staining to the chrome door trims my 8 month old Kodiaq. The "friendly" Skoda dealer sent photos to Skoda warranty department and Skoda decided it wasn't their problem and that the chemical corrosion was my responsibility as it caused by hand car washes. They are at loss to explain why not all of the trims have been affected - only front door trims (the lower ones are worse) and the lower rear trims on the drivers side only! but not the chrome at the front or the roof bars or anywhere at the rear of the car. I queried whether it was a faulty lacquering process in manufacture but Skoda are not prepared to accept any fault at the moment. Interestingly my wife's car a Fiat 500 with a lot of chrome has been to the same car washes and has not been affected at all. Not what I expected from a top of the range Kodiaq from a reputable car manufacturer. Any ideas on how to "encourage "Skoda to admit fault? I am a bit reluctant to pay the £400+ to rectify the problem! Thanks

SteveBag

Post by SteveBag » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:18 pm

I have the same problem with white marks on the window trim. I have always washed the car myself using the Auto Glym products supplied with the car 12 months ago. The only other time my car was washed was 4 weeks ago when the dealer did a summer service, They have sent photos to Skoda but reading similar posts I am expecting them to say it’s my fault. How can I prove it was the dealer his word against mine. I will be contacting the BBC Watchdog program to highlight the problem if Skoda wash their hands of the problem.
Kodiaq SE L TDI 150 DSG - Business Grey, Beige Upholstery, 7 seats, Trailer Assist, Folding Tow Bar + space saver

Fuzzz

Post by Fuzzz » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:35 pm

It's pointless war I quess...as soon as my health is better I'm gonna try to remove these marks from chrome and roofbars and even my bikeracks...let you know!

shep

Post by shep » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Anyone having any luck in resolving this? I've tried Autosol and Brasso but the marks remain. My affected trims are from off side lower, rear off side lower and front near side upper and lower. Odd that this is exactly the same as someone else has mentioned which to me seems to indicate a manufacturing inconsistency.
2.0 TDI 7DSG 190PS AWD | Edition Delivered 14/01/18
Tow bar, Heated screen/jets, Front sensors, resr camera, ambient lights, special spare, rear tables
Build week 47 2017

Fuzzz

Post by Fuzzz » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:20 pm

Not a good news...due to bad weather cant do it...autosol is bought sbd waiting

old man

Post by old man » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:40 pm

I've only had my car for a 5 weeks and I now have many similar, although much smaller marks on my trim too.
I know it's not water staining as I've as I've dried my car after each wash.

My marks are caused by tree sap as the car has been parked under trees whilst on holiday in France. I have spent much time today using various products from the man cave to try and remove them. I was eventually mostly successful, and the thing that worked best was T Cut, which I've had for years and never use. The second most successful product is called Silky, which is a product I use on my caravan to remove black stains that always occur on vans.

The stubborn stains that are left just will not disappear, so I'll just have to live with them.

I have to assume from this that the trim material used by Skoda is of inferior quality as I've never ha this problem in the past.

A pretty poor show from Skoda I have to say. :shock:

Alan Chapple

Post by Alan Chapple » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:01 am

old man wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:40 pm
The second most successful product is called Silky, which is a product I use on my caravan to remove black stains that always occur on vans.
I've got a similar product in my shed/garage for removing black stains from my caravan too, don't think its called Silky though, I will check when I get home.
2.0 TDI 190bhp, Edition, 4x4, DSG, Quartz Grey

old man

Post by old man » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:47 pm

Further to this problem, and bearing in mind that my pitting was due to tree sap, not water.

The one product I didn't use yesterday because I'm not sure what material the trims are made of was Autosol, but as others have tried it I thought it worth a go, so I did.

It went well, as now my marks are all but gone and you'd have to look hard to see any now. It wasn't easy, and took a few applications and some elbow grease, which wasn't easy because the trims are narrow, but it was worth the trouble.

Of course, we shouldn't need to be doing this as Skoda shouldn't be fitting inferior products !!

The next question has to be; what product can I/we apply to the trims to prevent this occuring again ? There must be something on the market that can prevent this happening again.

old man

Post by old man » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:02 pm

And one more thing;
I have just spoken to the very helpful parts manager at my dealer to outline this problem. He's going to try to find out exactly what these trims are made of and if Skoda know of a product that can be applied to stop these marks forming.
I will post here if and when I get an answer.

In the interim I've just applied some Aerospace 303 (developed by NASA) to the trims. This is a product that's really meant for plastics, which contains a UV inhibitor and also claims to repel tree sap and airborne chemicals. I use it on my plastic canoe and it works well for that application. There's also a very similar alternative to this, which is Armorall and can be purchased from Halfords and is cheaper.

Assuming they work as a repellent, the downside is that they need reapplication every few weeks.

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”