Pitting on chrome bits after hand/carwash

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
old man

Re: Pitting on chrome bits after hand/carwash

Post by old man » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:18 pm

Well, after the problems I had last year with tree sap marking my chrome trims and getting rid of them, I've just been in a French auto lavage and
my trims are absolutely pickled with white staining. Now I used these twice last year at the same time I had the tree sap staining and experienced no problems at all. Nothing was allowed to dry on my car during the wash and I dried it immediately afterwards with a microfiber cloth.
I tried removal with some paste polish I had in the boot which didn't touch them, so I now have to wait until I return home to see if Autosol will do the job again, but I'm somewhat dubious this time.
I'm totally hissed off this time as it looks bloody awful!!!
Moral of the story I guess, beware cleaning products you know nothing about especially if you're cleaning a Skoda with them. :o

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:06 pm

Pjmartin wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:19 pm
Well oddly enough, I spoke to the salesman who sold me my car and he said “not another one! We’ve had a few of these lately on the Kodiaq and superb”

I’ve asked him to look into replacing for the Sportline trim instead.
Sounds like Colin owes you £10.

Apart from that the Sportline is in my option such a better looking car than the SE, SEL and Edition and to be honest it may have less standard equipment than things like the L&K it would be my first choice apart from vRS. I find chrome to be a dated concept of prestige, worked on British Leyland cars of the 1970’s. It makes the Kodiaq look like a Allegro Vanden Plas.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey
Somewhere in Scotland.

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 am

Most styling things date eventually. One of my pet hates, seen on many cars, is what I can best describe as fake exhaust pipes incorporated into the rear bumper. A closer look reveals no exhaust pipe. Quite what these are for I do not know and don't get me started on the fancy shapes some tail pipes are. The triangular ones I think look particularly silly. Rear spoilers on ordinary cars are another thing; I call them handles. The SE of course has the advantage of no chrome around the windows. As is so often the case, less is more. The SE does have a chrome surround on part of the front grille which I note on my 6 month old car is not faring well.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:11 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 am
The SE does have a chrome surround on part of the front grille which I note on my 6 month old car is not faring well.
However, the chrome round my front grille is perfect after 18 months. Could it be a matter of what wash/wax you use? For me it's Halfords Wash/Wax.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:29 pm

Old and Grumpy wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:11 pm
Silverbear wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 am
The SE does have a chrome surround on part of the front grille which I note on my 6 month old car is not faring well.
However, the chrome round my front grille is perfect after 18 months. Could it be a matter of what wash/wax you use? For me it's Halfords Wash/Wax.
Me too.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”