Pitting on chrome bits after hand/carwash

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
old man

Re: Pitting on chrome bits after hand/carwash

Post by old man » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:18 pm

Well, after the problems I had last year with tree sap marking my chrome trims and getting rid of them, I've just been in a French auto lavage and
my trims are absolutely pickled with white staining. Now I used these twice last year at the same time I had the tree sap staining and experienced no problems at all. Nothing was allowed to dry on my car during the wash and I dried it immediately afterwards with a microfiber cloth.
I tried removal with some paste polish I had in the boot which didn't touch them, so I now have to wait until I return home to see if Autosol will do the job again, but I'm somewhat dubious this time.
I'm totally hissed off this time as it looks bloody awful!!!
Moral of the story I guess, beware cleaning products you know nothing about especially if you're cleaning a Skoda with them. :o

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:06 pm

Pjmartin wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:19 pm
Well oddly enough, I spoke to the salesman who sold me my car and he said “not another one! We’ve had a few of these lately on the Kodiaq and superb”

I’ve asked him to look into replacing for the Sportline trim instead.
Sounds like Colin owes you £10.

Apart from that the Sportline is in my option such a better looking car than the SE, SEL and Edition and to be honest it may have less standard equipment than things like the L&K it would be my first choice apart from vRS. I find chrome to be a dated concept of prestige, worked on British Leyland cars of the 1970’s. It makes the Kodiaq look like a Allegro Vanden Plas.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 am

Most styling things date eventually. One of my pet hates, seen on many cars, is what I can best describe as fake exhaust pipes incorporated into the rear bumper. A closer look reveals no exhaust pipe. Quite what these are for I do not know and don't get me started on the fancy shapes some tail pipes are. The triangular ones I think look particularly silly. Rear spoilers on ordinary cars are another thing; I call them handles. The SE of course has the advantage of no chrome around the windows. As is so often the case, less is more. The SE does have a chrome surround on part of the front grille which I note on my 6 month old car is not faring well.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:11 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 am
The SE does have a chrome surround on part of the front grille which I note on my 6 month old car is not faring well.
However, the chrome round my front grille is perfect after 18 months. Could it be a matter of what wash/wax you use? For me it's Halfords Wash/Wax.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:29 pm

Old and Grumpy wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:11 pm
Silverbear wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 am
The SE does have a chrome surround on part of the front grille which I note on my 6 month old car is not faring well.
However, the chrome round my front grille is perfect after 18 months. Could it be a matter of what wash/wax you use? For me it's Halfords Wash/Wax.
Me too.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

old man

Post by old man » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:08 pm

Further to this staining. I now know that on this occasion it was TFR that has marked the chrome window trims. This comes out of a separate lance to the water and suds in a French car wash and last year I didn't use it. I wish I hadn't used it this year either.

Anyway, in between rain showers I'm having a go at getting rid of the marks. Autosol doesn't seem to be doing the trick this time as it did last time with the tree sap. However, two products that are making a difference (but will require more time, patience and elbow grease) are Brillo pads and Pink Stuff.
I have been over some of the trims more than once mainly with the Brillo pad and the marks, whilst still in evidence, are fading and aren't anywhere near so standout. It's slow going because the trims are narrow and I don't want to mark the paintwork but with perseverance I believe that I will get the trims back to a state where nobody but me will know they are there.
N.B. When I say Brillo pads, they aren't actually Brillo, I think they probably came from Lidl or Wilkos.

old man

Post by old man » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:13 pm

Take heart people, if you still have chrome staining or you get some in the future, there is a way to get rid of it. It's not a quick fix but it works.
I took my car to the dealer recently and was attended to by very affable young lady who seemed wise beyond her years. She'd never seen or heard of this problem and seemed quite dismayed at how bad it looked, so she went and spoke to the service manager. He knew about as there's a SUK flyer circulating about it stating that it's not a warranty problem – no surprise there then !
As luck would have it, her boyfriend works in a body shop/detailers, so she sent him a video of it and explained how it happened. He reckoned that the only was to maybe get rid of the marks was to use a metal polish (Autosol) together with a small polishing wheel in a drill or some such.

Today I had a go, but not using a drill as I thought that was overkill and could end up causing damage to the car. Instead I borrowed a Dremmel and the only polishing wheel he had left from my father in law. I masked off everything either side of the chrome strips, including rubber trims (because the wheel gets very hot and will burn the rubber) and got to work.
Well buxxer me, it worked. I did one side of the car before the wheel wore out and the trims are almost back to their new state.
This is not a quick and easy fix due to the masking, the care needed and because the wheel spits the polish about (I applied the polish to the trims first) and as the wheel wears down, the fibres fly about and stick to the car, but this all washes off afterwards. When I've finished I'll apply a proper polish or a wax to help protect from further staining and I certainly won't be using TFR in the future.
Okay, we all know that Skoda should be using better materials and we know they can because the chrome trim on the grill isn't affected, but things are what they are and if these marks are really hissing you off, in my opinion it's worth buying a Dremmel type tool and some Autosol and DIY.
I'm over the moon that my marks are gone because they really did look awful when it happened.
Hope this helps :D

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”