Tailgate opens by itself!

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Silverbear

Re: Tailgate opens by itself!

Post by Silverbear » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:43 am

I have the high spec SE which does away with the electric tailgate and has an innovative manual tailgate. The really clever touch is that you must be present at the rear of the car to carefully open it as required. Never had it open by itself and it has always worked. To close it has a rubber handle thingy dangling down which allows my young children to reach up and easily close it...except they don't preferring to leap in the air and grab the tailgate.

My previous car had electric windows and its wheeze was to wind all the windows down while unattended. Never had that happen with manual windows. Happily the garage fixed the issue but it would have been interesting to know the insurance situation had the car been stolen, or items stolen.

Alas the SE only has electric windows.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

Mycar

Post by Mycar » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:09 am

I had this happen last night (New Kodiaq June this year) and have visited the forum to see if it has happened to any other owners, appears that it has!
I note the comment about same problem with Mercs and I had it with an e class estate that I owned many years ago.
I'll be talking to the dealer today as I don't want it happening when the car is left unattended on a public car park. I'll post their comments later.

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:21 am

99% of tailgate opening on its own posts are due to accidental pushing of the tailgate open button usually due to key fob being in a trouser pocket, or squashed in a handbag.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

Mycar

Post by Mycar » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:56 pm

Not this time, the key was nicely packed away in its special pouch and the car was all locked up with all doors closed when I went to bed, looked out of the window in the morning to see the tailgate wide open and judging by the frost on my golf clubs it had been open quite a while, luckily car was on my drive behind a tall hedge and out of view from the pavement.

Daggerit

Post by Daggerit » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:59 am

This was an issues on some models of my last car (Audi S4). It turned out that some models that had the feature where the boot could be opened with your foot, water/rain/moisture was causing an it to open. Some others found that when the boot opening time required on the key fob was changed from 3 to 5 seconds it helped as well.

If neither of those applies then I'm out of ideas I'm afraid. :)
On order: Business Grey MY20 1.5 TSI Manual SE L with Family Pack and Heated Windscreen

CJJE

Post by CJJE » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:49 am

There was a VW recall for their T6 vans that might be linked??

July 2019: VW recall for VW T6 with electric tailgate

More than 11,000 VW T6s with short wheelbase, electric tailgate and sliding door will be affected by a VW recall in Germany in July 2019. This includes models of the current generation, which went off the production line between 23 July 2015 and 13 May 2019. The reason for the recall is a leak above the control unit for the electric tailgate. T6 owners who want to wash their VW bus with the high-pressure cleaner should be careful: Those who keep too little distance from the right side part risk water entering the interior. If this happens several times, the control unit may be damaged and an "incomplete short circuit" may occur. If air enters the site through open windows, doors or the sliding roof, there is a risk of fire. The side of the VW T6 affected by the VW recall is now to be sealed during a workshop visit lasting about an hour. The recall with the code "58D7" is expected to start on July 22, 2019.

Chris
Previously owned an Octavia L&K, currently driving a Golf SV, but looking at changing it for a Race Blue Kodiaq L&K :)

Daggerit

Post by Daggerit » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:50 am

CJJE wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:49 am
There was a VW recall for their T6 vans that might be linked??

July 2019: VW recall for VW T6 with electric tailgate

More than 11,000 VW T6s with short wheelbase, electric tailgate and sliding door will be affected by a VW recall in Germany in July 2019. This includes models of the current generation, which went off the production line between 23 July 2015 and 13 May 2019. The reason for the recall is a leak above the control unit for the electric tailgate. T6 owners who want to wash their VW bus with the high-pressure cleaner should be careful: Those who keep too little distance from the right side part risk water entering the interior. If this happens several times, the control unit may be damaged and an "incomplete short circuit" may occur. If air enters the site through open windows, doors or the sliding roof, there is a risk of fire. The side of the VW T6 affected by the VW recall is now to be sealed during a workshop visit lasting about an hour. The recall with the code "58D7" is expected to start on July 22, 2019.

Chris
Essentially the same issue as the Audi's, and fall within the same age range of cars that seemed to be affected. I assume that they use the same control unit across the VAG cars so it would make sense that it could be a similar issue.
On order: Business Grey MY20 1.5 TSI Manual SE L with Family Pack and Heated Windscreen

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”