Tailgate opens by itself!

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Cluke

Tailgate opens by itself!

Post by Cluke » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:01 am

Hi all

In the last week I have got to my Kodiaq in the morning to find the boot open - I'm spite of me locking the car and checking all is secure the night before. I've checked on the web and it appears some Mercedes have had this issue with electronic tailgates?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks

FoxtrotAlpha

Re: Tailgate opens by itself!

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:15 am

Cluke wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:01 am
Hi all

In the last week I have got to my Kodiaq in the morning to find the boot open - I'm spite of me locking the car and checking all is secure the night before. I've checked on the web and it appears some Mercedes have had this issue with electronic tailgates?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks
Others on the forum have had the same issue, I have not. No idea what the final opinion was.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

iwarv

Post by iwarv » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:02 pm

Just a suggestion (I never had this problem).
If this happens again, consider storing your keyfobs in an RFID pouch. Just in case a fob sends the signal that causes the tailgate to open.

I am not ruling out that the car itself opens the tailgate somehow.
SE-L 1.4 150bhp DSG 4x4, 7 Seats, Quartz Grey, Front Sensors, Front DashCam

Ninini

Post by Ninini » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:36 pm

If you're getting an RFID pouch, note that many of them have an inner pocket that's metal-lined, and that's where you should place your keys or credit cards. I've seen a few comments with people complaining the pouches don't work, but they apparently placed their keys in the larger part which wasn't lined.
Kodiaq Style 1,4TSI (150PS) manual 4x4 Lava Blue w/ 7 seats, tow package, etc | Ordered 2017-08-24 | Delivered 2018-02-01 (161 days)

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:28 pm

Ninini wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:36 pm
If you're getting an RFID pouch, note that many of them have an inner pocket that's metal-lined, and that's where you should place your keys or credit cards. I've seen a few comments with people complaining the pouches don't work, but they apparently placed their keys in the larger part which wasn't lined.
The point is you shouldn’t need to store the keys in a pouch to stop the tailgate opening, it’s ridulous. There are two reasons why this happens:

1. There is a technical fault with the car - get it sorted by your local dealership.

2. You are accidentally pressing the button, I cannot see how this can happen, even when carrying them around in my pocket I have never triggered the key fob.

If the only answer to stop this happening is to store the keys in a lined pouch then the system is not fit for purpose, return the car.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

steve1k

Post by steve1k » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:45 pm

Iv had this problem a number of times when the keys are in my pocket.
The button must get pressed by accident in my pocket when im working.
The only problem is it will open from a distance, for instance if im in an upstairs room and i notice the boot has opened i can't close it from the room have to physically go down close to the car to shut it manually or with the key.
I dont know if this can be altered by the garage by pluging it in to there computer and altering any settings.
Also its a pity it cant close the boot with the Skoda connect app.
2.0 TSI Edition 4x4 DSG 7 seat
Moon White, 3 zone climate control, Front & Rear parking sensors, Leather seats black, Adaptive cruise control, Canton sound system, Heated front rear seats, LED interior light, Mythos black dash inserts,

iwarv

Post by iwarv » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:14 pm

Jon Edwards wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:28 pm
it’s ridulous.

The whole KESSY and electric tailgate is ridiculous. It's a solution without a problem.
Let's go back to the old "press to unlock" keyfob.

Safer and not that inconvenient at all.
SE-L 1.4 150bhp DSG 4x4, 7 Seats, Quartz Grey, Front Sensors, Front DashCam

Plodd

Post by Plodd » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:49 pm

iwarv wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:14 pm
Jon Edwards wrote:
it’s ridulous.

The whole KESSY and electric tailgate is ridiculous. It's a solution without a problem.

That's what I've got on mine.
Kodiaq 2.0tdi 190 4X4 DSG SE L in Business Grey. Replacing an SE 150 DSG diesel in moon white.

andyvee

Post by andyvee » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:53 pm

iwarv wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:14 pm
Jon Edwards wrote:
it’s ridulous.

On my 3rd car with KESSY and a powered tailgate, never had it happen to me in over 4 years.
Kodiaq Edition 2.0 TSi 4x4 DSG Velvet Red with Cream Leather
DCC, ACC, Ventilated seats, Virtual pedal, Heated windscreen, washers, rear seats and leather MFSW, ACC, Ambient lighting, Park assist, Travel assist, Area view, TJA.

neilysump

Post by neilysump » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:58 pm

i've had my K nearly a year - it's happened to me 3 times, one of which i only knew because my friends (who also own a Kodiaq) knocked at the door to let me know. i've just had car in for first service, and asked them to check but they coudl find no fault.

i'm not convinced i pressed it in pocket - would be good to know if they can just disable it on the keyfob completely.

note: i have the 'virtual pedal' stick foot under magic boot opening thingy, if that matters (but that's pretty reliable and only works if key is really close - a suprisingly useful gadget tbh).

i do know that 2 out of the 3 times it happened to me, it was after i'd washed the car - probably coincidence, not sure how that would affect anything!

would be good to know if anyone has been able to convince their dealer to look into it...
Ordered. 2.0 TDi, DSG, Quartz Grey, 19inch Black Triglavs, and a bunch of options. Build week 20. In the dealer as of 12th June - pickup 14th June. 2000miles of awesomeness by Aug 1st.

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”