Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Dont get it repaired

10K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Estophilux 
#1 ·
Just in case anyone is in the position like me to get their Kodiaq repaired for minor body damage (it wasnt me) then dont bother. Mine has now been with the bodyshop for over a month waiting for repairs, not their fault as they cannot get the parts. Apparently they need to order from the Skoda factory and they are not releasing parts or giving any indication when they are likly to do so. Good old Skoda's customer service at its best.

#2 ·
So what do they expect you to do if the car is un~driveable. Is the dealer going to lend you a courtesy car NO! Of course they aren't!
If I am unfortunate enough to have this happen to me I shall sell it to the dealer in it's mangled state, letting MY insurance pay for the repairs and I am in the happy state that I shall go out and pay cash for a replacement (which would NOT be a Skoda!) and wait for the ££ back from the dealer after it had been repaired. 'SIMPLY' NOT GOOD ENOUGH!
One of the problems these days is that most body shops are actually incapable of REPAIRING anything. If it's bent they replace it.
In the old days a decent panel beater could repair almost anything. If it's actually broken 'bits' then that is a different matter of course.
Moral of the story is, of course, don't bend it, write it off! (but hopefully not yourself! :lol: )

#3 ·
My insurance company has supplied another vehicle so I am not stranded. The issue is that it is a new model and it appears Skoda do not support the supply chain for spares at them moment. I cannot agree with the 'old days' approach as cars were generally poorly built and significantly less reliable, rather have a fitter replace an item than an unproven 'mechanic' prod at it with a screwdriver. I am also of a certain age and I can confidently say things were not better back in the good old days, they simply were not.

#4 ·
Jon Edwards said:
My insurance company has supplied another vehicle so I am not stranded. The issue is that it is a new model and it appears Skoda do not support the supply chain for spares at them moment. I cannot agree with the 'old days' approach as cars were generally poorly built and significantly less reliable, rather have a fitter replace an item than an unproven 'mechanic' prod at it with a screwdriver. I am also of a certain age and I can confidently say things were not better back in the good old days, they simply were not.
My dad had a Jaguar and had the same issue. He had one of the new models a few years back and had to wait 6 months for a part. Think it is the same for a lot of new cars and different brands although you probably wouldnt have to wait for a new part for a Rolls Royce

#5 ·
Jon Edwards said:
Jon.
I am referring to bodyshops not mechanics.
You wont be able to get a front wing for a '1905 Throbmobile' so you have to go to a REAL craftsman who will willingly build you one (at a price)
In my experience modern body shops either can't or can't be bothered to knock out a panel. they just replace it.
I dinged the N/S/R door of my middle Yeti and it cost me a £1000 to replace the door. The door was only £295 the rest was removing all the bits from the damaged door and rebuilding and spraying the new one.
Having completed a 2 year, full time Historic Vehicle Restoration course (BTEC Diploma) I know for a fact that given the right equipment, which obviously I don't have, I could have repaired the door and resprayed it . If the body 'bashers' had taken the trouble to do that it would have cost HALF what they charged me!
I completely agree with 'poorly built' and 'unreliable' Boy, were they!! Brand new Jag MkII 200 miles to the pint of oil, did not improve once run in.

As far as mechanics are concerned, there aren't any anymore, except in the vintage and veteran market, they are simply 'fitters'. (skilled in electronics admittedly)
When I got my first job at 17 as a 'grease monkey' I had to replace speedo drives frequently. we had a coil of inner and I simply cut off the right length, crimped the ends with special pliers and fitted it. The REAL mechanics in the garage were not 'unproven', they were craftsmen and if they could not get a bit they made it! They repaired first and replaced second. Obviously your 'good old days' were not as far back as mine in the early 60's! ;)
I hope your K feels better soon!

#7 ·
Mine needed a new top glovebox. Dealer quoted 3 weeks as it had to come from central parts store in CZ. In actuality it arrived early and was fitted within 10 days of diagnosis (it stopped latching).

#8 ·
Still not repaired after 5 weeks nearly 6 weeks. Now Skoda main dealer cannot recalibrate the assist systems as there is a fault even after replacing the control unit. Also no personnel with training to do it as they are both ill. Seems like no other Skoda dealer in central / southern Scotland has the equipment.

#13 ·
Noooooo!

At least you were able to get out and take the picture.

#16 ·
OHSH*T!
What on earth happened. Looks a though you were pinched between two other vehicles.
The right side is much worse but I would not have thought it was a write off?
I must admit if that was mine I would have to get it repaired (if Poss) and then I would get rid of it. I can't bear driving around in a repaired car!
Hard luck Zach. Do keep us all in the loop as to what happens and what you will do about the whole sorry saga.
At least you have the dubious honour to be the first to have a serious prang. TG you were all ok.

#18 ·
Prefer not to say exactly what happened for confidentiality and insurance sakes but had to make an evasive manoeuvre to avoid rear ending someone after a blind corner (3 lane underpass) but it didn't go well.

I was able to pick up my belongings from the car today but wasn't able to take a look at the car as it was outside viewing hours. I think the damage isn't too bad, no structural damage me thinks. The car will need replacement fenders, bumper and headlights/fog lights, hopefully the hood can just be hammered out without replacement. Left-hand suspension and steering parts will probably need to be replaced - linkages and the sort. Don't think the whole suspension assembly will need to be replaced nor the steering rack. I haven't had a proper look at the car yet, I'll be doing so on Friday.

Regarding Colin's comment about driving a repaired car, I've got no problem as long as the car had no structural damage. It doesn't seem to have and the car is getting fixed at one of NZ's top panelbeaters - they've VAG factory approved so have all the factory specifications for repairs etc.

If the car is deemed uneconomical to repair (which I doubt - seemingly no structural damage) my insurance will pay for a brand new car of exact spec or I will get a payout is one is not available.

I'm a bit annoyed that it happened in the first place, however I'm very thankful it wasn't any worse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.