Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

How do I know if ACT is working?!

9K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  bother 
#1 ·
Dear All

Apologies for my ignorance but having read a few posts elsewhere, I am wondering if my Kodiaq 1.4Tsi DSG 4x4 has the ACT system and how I know if it's working? Is there a symbol on the dashboard?!

Many thanks.

#2 ·
When you reach a gentle cruising speed, and lift off the throttle (so that the engine is still under load, but only slightly), cylinders 2 and 3 cut out. You can't feel any difference (there's no extra vibration at all), but the maxidot display will indicate the change in two ways:
(1) The lower section will show an "Eco" logo, on the right.
(2) if you've got the maxidot showing Driving Data, you also get something like "2-cylinder mode activated".

When trying those, don't lift off too much, as if you want to slow down. If you do that, ALL cylinders shut down (on any modern engine), so the Eco/2-cylinder indications would no longer be true, and don't show.

#3 ·
Cluke, as your car is a 1.4TSI DSG 4x4, which is the same as mine, your engine code does not have ACT support. I don't know why that is as the manual gearbox 1.4TSI 4x4 does have ACT support. As others have said though it only makes a very small amount of difference anyway so I'm not worried about not having it.

#5 ·
Does it work on manual 1.4 ?

#11 ·
DaveM said:
...When trying those, don't lift off too much, as if you want to slow down. If you do that, ALL cylinders shut down (on any modern engine), so the Eco/2-cylinder indications would no longer be true, and don't show.
Erm, no!

ALL cylinders do not shut down on any modern or old engine! (Except maybe when you turn the engine off manually or stationary with stop-start enabled or maybe if you stall it 😉).

#12 ·
It depends what you mean by "shut down". I meant that they are not getting any fuel. They'll still be moving, and (for petrol) sparking.

As it happens, though, my own Kodiaq has now decided to show the ACT alert when the throttle is completely off, whereas it didn't early on (perhaps running-in requirements?).

#13 ·
I'm pretty sure that no mfrs ACT shuts down all cylinders.

The VW ACT certainly doesn't. Only 2 of the 4 cylinders are 'shut off'.

Mine does it both during light load and after lifting off.

I have noticed that as soon as you tap the brake it engages all the cylinders again. Why though I'm not sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.