SIM cards and Data allowance

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Kodaskodiaq

SIM cards and Data allowance

Post by Kodaskodiaq » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:27 am

Morning all.

So I’m just about to purchase a SIM card for the car to setup Skoda connect and thought I’d ask what data packages people have gone for and how much data your car uses per month?

Skodiaq
https://www.instagram.com/koda_skodiaq
Edition 1.9 (190) DSG Moon White, PanRoof, Front & Rear Sensors, Black Leather, Sirius 19’s, off road pack, ACC, Ambient, DCC, Virtual pedal, Rear camera, electric towbar, trizone climate, etc etc.

iwarv

Re: SIM cards and Data allowance

Post by iwarv » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:15 am

For the benefit of the Skoda Connect service, my understanding is that there is already a SIM card in the car.

In the UK, the Kodiaq will be on Vodafone.

You can indeed put a secondary SIM card in the glovebox so you can provide WiFi in your car.
This secondary SIM might even have other benefits, such as with the infotainment system, but as I don't (yet) use that SIM slot I cannot make definitive statements about that.
SE-L 1.4 150bhp DSG 4x4, 7 Seats, Quartz Grey, Front Sensors, Front DashCam

Kodaskodiaq

Post by Kodaskodiaq » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks iwarv,

I contact the dealer on this then.

Regards

SKODIAQ
Edition 1.9 (190) DSG Moon White, PanRoof, Front & Rear Sensors, Black Leather, Sirius 19’s, off road pack, ACC, Ambient, DCC, Virtual pedal, Rear camera, electric towbar, trizone climate, etc etc.

Daddy Pig

Post by Daddy Pig » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:30 pm

I purchased a family BT sim for my bear. I know its pricey at £16 per month so after the 12 month contract I may look elsewhere. In the meantime in the one month I've had my bear I've eaten into nearly 4gb of my 20gb allowance.

I have the bear setup as a Wi-Fi hotspot, 2 of my three girls have used it while travelling and I use google earth more or less each day for sat nav to / from work.

Dave
A Bear named 'Huggy'. Midhurst, West Sussex- 1.4 TSI DSG SE L 7 seat Cappuccino, Front / Rear sensors, Heated Seats & Tow Bar

Kodaskodiaq

Post by Kodaskodiaq » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:40 pm

Daddy Pig wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:30 pm
I purchased a family BT sim for my bear. I know its pricey at £16 per month so after the 12 month contract I may look elsewhere. In the meantime in the one month I've had my bear I've eaten into nearly 4gb of my 20gb allowance.

I have the bear setup as a Wi-Fi hotspot, 2 of my three girls have used it while travelling and I use google earth more or less each day for sat nav to / from work.

Dave
Wow 4GB is way over what I was thinking!
But then I’m not too worried about others using the car as a Wi-fi hotspot for their devices. I just want the car to be able to use google maps and use the Skoda app etc.
I think I need to look into this further.

DaveM

Post by DaveM » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:49 pm

I bought a 12-month, 12GB card (on "3" network) for £27-odd. It's been in a month, and hasn't yet used 1GB, but then it's only providing data to the nav and info systems (no-one connecting phones or tablets) and I've avoided the Google maps option, which I suspect will suck up data.
Kodiaq 1.4 DSG SEL 5-seat, capuccino, beige leather, rear camera, front sensors, triglavs, tow hook.

black kodiaq

Post by black kodiaq » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:42 pm

Try using Android Auto from your mobile you don't need a specific SIM.
Kodiaq Style (R.O.I) - 2..0L: 150bhp: 7 Speed DSG: Black Magic pearl effect -Beige Leather Upholstery with black trim - Tinted Glass - Chrome around glass - LED Head Lights. Self added: Tow Bar - Wind deflectors - sidesteps.

DaveM

Post by DaveM » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:27 pm

black kodiaq wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:42 pm
Try using Android Auto from your mobile you don't need a specific SIM.
That's true. But trying to use Android Auto on an iPhone won't get you very far ...
:?
Kodiaq 1.4 DSG SEL 5-seat, capuccino, beige leather, rear camera, front sensors, triglavs, tow hook.

Hugh Fanism

Post by Hugh Fanism » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:09 pm

iwarv wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:15 am
For the benefit of the Skoda Connect service, my understanding is that there is already a SIM card in the car.

In the UK, the Kodiaq will be on Vodafone.

You can indeed put a secondary SIM card in the glovebox so you can provide WiFi in your car.
This secondary SIM might even have other benefits, such as with the infotainment system, but as I don't (yet) use that SIM slot I cannot make definitive statements about that.
Your Skoda Connect works from the internal SIM in the UK?

Mine certainly doesn't, all it does in mine is make emergency/service calls and possibly does the odd update. Skoda Connect won't run without tethering to my phone.
1.4 DSG SE L, council blue, acc.
"Johnny ain't so crazy, he's always got a line for the ladies"

idomz

Post by idomz » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:53 am

I ordered a free 3 data sim which gives you 200mb every month.
I don’t intend to enable in-car wifi or google street view so 200 mb for just skoda connect and traffic updates felt reasonable.
My data use in about 20 days with daily moderate driving is less than 70mb.

Link for data sim https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order.
Cappuccino Beige 1.4 150 DSG 7 seat Edition, Black leather, Panoramic roof, Adaptive cruise control, Traffic sign recognition, Area View, Park assist, Drive Mode Personalisation and Child pack. Ordered 29 Sep, Delivered Dec 2nd

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”