Factory tow-bar retrofit

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
rsk289

Re: Factory tow-bar retrofit

Post by rsk289 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:00 pm

My 7 seat SE L has the factory fit towbar, but has a factory spacesaver spare - so I suspect the seats make the difference.

I have huge distrust of the foam and compressor kits. The compressors are usually toys and not entirely reliable in my experience. I have heard so many stories from tyre fitters, wheel manufacturers etc. listing the damage the foam can cause to tyres, aluminium alloy etc. I no longer know who to believe. And in any case, tyre failures I've had on the road would not be repairable with the foam - they usually involve severe trauma to the tyre, requiring replacement. Back in the day I used to carry a pressure gauge in the door pocket and check regularly, so would pick up slow punctures - these days the TPMs do it for you.

That said, I wouldn't want to drive very far on a spacesaver whilst towing either - no caravans in my case, but some quite valuable bits of motoring kit on a trailer!
2019 Kodiak 2.0TSi, DSG, Magic Black with matching black Triglavs, panoramic sunroof (not an L&K), factory towball

Deleted User 2278

Post by Deleted User 2278 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:54 pm

I have a very straightforward view of punctures having had a great many of them which can be summed up as follows: In the event of any kind of puncture to a single tyre the car must be capable of carrying a spare wheel which returns full capability to the car at the roadside enabling me to continue my journey, be that to local shops, or a distant land, to catch a ferry, get to the airport, climb a mountain pass, or whatever. The car must be able to carry a full load at motorway speeds, continue towing, and the road wheel with the puncture must fit in the space vacated by the spare wheel and not intrude into the probably already full boot.

Time was when virtually all cars carried such a spare. The SE 5 seater has such capability. My previous car, a 7 seat MPV, did not and to date is the only car I have ever owned not to have a proper spare wheel. I had to keep the spare in the boot which halved the boot volume. I hope never to repeat that.

rsk289

Post by rsk289 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:59 am

I couldn't get away with that. Some of these cars have staggered tyre sizes, which means two spares: the little BMW M Coupé has 285s on the rear, a spare for which wouldn't fit in the luggage compartment, let alone leave space for luggage. That one has to have a compressor but luckily I've never had to use it.
Fewer and fewer cars these days carry a spare of any kind. My daughter's had BMW Minis for years and there's no space for anything in those either. Ditto all the recent family cars - 135i, Civic... all the old stuff has proper ones, though. I like the Land Rover's - it's bolted to the bonnet and deters anyone (including me) from fiddling with the engine. It's greatest use, though, is to keep road spray off the windscreen when it's raining. It's surprising how little you need wipers if the roadspray can't reach the screen.
2019 Kodiak 2.0TSi, DSG, Magic Black with matching black Triglavs, panoramic sunroof (not an L&K), factory towball

Deleted User 2278

Post by Deleted User 2278 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:55 am

I could not own a car with different tyre sizes front and back. It's a road car, not Formula 1. I also could not own a car without a suitable spare. My previous MPV was a midsize one, if I had gone the MPV route again I would have investigated full size MPV's to see what they had. For me it is an interesting point with the Kodiaq. I purchased mine in 5 seat guise specifically because it could take a full size spare, if only the 7 seater had been available I would have looked for a 7 seat SUV that could handle a full size spare which would have ruled out the Kodiaq for me, which is a shame as I like it.

When I purchased mine I think 5 seaters were available in various trims, but now I think they are only available in SE trim so that is the only trim I could purchase now. I assume 5 seaters are not popular so it is not economic to offer them in other trims.

My MPV was a 7 seater but in over a decade of ownership I never needed the third row. Clearly many people need 7 seaters but I would guess also that many people, like me, buy 7 seaters and live to regret not having that full size spare, sacrificed for a row of seats that are rarely if ever used.

Dipatrx8

Post by Dipatrx8 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:44 pm

Happy new year everybody !!!
Kodiaq 2.0 tdi 4X4 manual 150 5seats 2019.
And already bought electric Bosal A50-X towbar(the original)
Kufatec Trailer hitch cable set - central electrical system for Skoda Karoq NU, Kodiaq NS
Control unit 5Q0907383G
Switch for swiveling trailer hitch (towbar) for Skoda.
I need some help please.
I need an instalation manual ( can't find for Kodiaq, just found one from Kufatec whuch is for Karoq)
I want to ask if my control unit is compatible Skoda gives now: 5Q0907383N
And the Pin code to setup the car online in a skoda dealer.( they dont't have anything because i bought used towbar and they told me that everything would be in a pack if i order from them)
Any tips please ???
Any solution????
:? :? :?

Avocet

Post by Avocet » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:07 am

Dipatrx8 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:44 pm
Happy new year everybody !!!
Kodiaq 2.0 tdi 4X4 manual 150 5seats 2019.
And already bought electric Bosal A50-X towbar(the original)
Kufatec Trailer hitch cable set - central electrical system for Skoda Karoq NU, Kodiaq NS
Control unit 5Q0907383G
Switch for swiveling trailer hitch (towbar) for Skoda.
I need some help please.
I need an instalation manual ( can't find for Kodiaq, just found one from Kufatec whuch is for Karoq)
I want to ask if my control unit is compatible Skoda gives now: 5Q0907383N
And the Pin code to setup the car online in a skoda dealer.( they dont't have anything because i bought used towbar and they told me that everything would be in a pack if i order from them)
Any tips please ???
Any solution????
:? :? :?

I can't help you, I'm afraid, but I'm following your post with interest! We have a 2017, 2 litre (150) 7 seat DSG and I'm looking for a towbar. I would like to fit it myself and I have come across the same problem as you. The steelwork is straightforward, and you then buy the "dedicated" (some people seem to call it "vehicle-specific") electrics kit that interfaces properly with the CANBUS system in the car. However, I believe that in addition to that, you also need a "software update" for the car itself. This is so that it runs a different map for its Electronic Stability Control when it detects a towbar electrical socket being plugged-in. I think it also does a variety of other thing, like kill the rear parking sensors. Apparently, the "dedicated" electrical kit doesn't do any of this, it's actual software changes that are needed to the cars existing ECUs. I think some companies (like Witter and Westfalia) have mobile fitters who will update the car's software for you. Presumably, a Skoda dealer can do it too?

My question to the forum is: Can the software update be done BEFORE the towbar or any of its electrics are installed? In other words, as a first step to getting myself a towbar, can I just take the car as it currently is, to a dealer, and ask them to update the software prior to me getting a towbar fitted?
2017 Kodiaq 7 seat "Edition" 150 bhp DSG 4x4 (Cumbria).

Ben L

Post by Ben L » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:41 am

Hello to everyone in the forum.
I have a similar question. I have a 3 month old Kodiaq Sportline (MY2021) and I would like to retro fit the original Towbar.
I have purchased a used towbar with the following number 565803881D
I am now struggling to find the cable, ICU and switch that matches. I have contacted 3 different suppliers all are saying that they are not sure if the ICU would work with the MY 21 software in the vehicle.
anyone have any suggestion what parts I need to get?
My vehicle done NOT have the towpar preparation.
Thanks for your help
Ben

Avocet

Post by Avocet » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:27 pm

Again, I can't answer your question, but there seems to be a pretty active Kodiaq Facebook page. I asked my question on there and got a few helpful responses:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1771062 ... &ref=notif

The consensus seemed to be (and ours is a 2017 car, so slightly different to yours) that you must NOT get the software update until you have your towbar electrics, because it needs to be updated with the electrical kit available to make sure the update has worked.
2017 Kodiaq 7 seat "Edition" 150 bhp DSG 4x4 (Cumbria).