Optional extras. Are they worth the money

New to the Skoda Kodiaq Forums? Introduce yourself here
hopey

Optional extras. Are they worth the money

Post by hopey » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:46 am

Hi. I have just ordered a 2.0 148bhp 5 seat edition 4x4 DSG with several optional extras. I'm contemplating adding the ambient lighting too. Is it worth it? I don't know if spending £200 on it is or not? Any opinions ?

romanv

Re: Optional extras. Are they worth the money

Post by romanv » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:02 am

As functinal benefit... not really... as a decoration... yeah, definitely.

It is part of Style equipment in Slovenia so I do have it by default.

It is cool for my kids but after 4 weeks we stopped switching the colours altough blue look nice. But it could change in winter time when the night will start at 5pm.

Oh, I've forgot something: if you have ambi light then chosen colour also sets background of colour maxi-dot screen and background of 9,2" Columbus widget on home screen. I am going to make some shots about it.

AndyH

Post by AndyH » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:08 am

The ambient lighting is just LED strips in the doors and footwell lights front and back. You can change the colour of strips and dim the footlights but they are always white. I like it, but it is more of a style thing, the door LEDs are attractive but they do not ‘light’ anything. Other brands do ambient lighting much more effectively, things like interior door handles/cup holders, directed pools of background lighting in specific areas of the vehicle, but you are talking cars that cost twice as much.

Is it worth the money? Maybe, it lifts the interior a little, and that gives a feel good factor, so on balance yes. Just don’t expect the wow factor of some more premium brands and you won’t be disappointed.

Savage

Post by Savage » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:39 am

Any optional extras are not going to benefit resale amounts, but could give your car the edge over another come sale time.
So add what you would want/use that seems worth it to you for the period you intend to keep the car.
I have it and its a nice feature, but not at all necessary ;)
Superb 280 4x4 Sportline in Black Magic.

StephenL

Post by StephenL » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:30 am

Mine also has the ambient lighting, but I had no choice about it. They were already on the stock car I bought. Nice but useless!
Kodiaq 1.4 Tsi 2wd DSG SE Black, black leather heated seats, Canton, mood lighting, spare wheel, kessy, rear camera (3rd party fitted)