Happy (hopefully) New Year from Norfolk

New to the Skoda Kodiaq Forums? Introduce yourself here
Grandad Brian

Happy (hopefully) New Year from Norfolk

Post by Grandad Brian » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:40 am

Hi everyone, literally just joined the Forum as I am looking at a Kodiaq to replace my ageing Saab 9-5 2.2 automatic diesel estate.

We drive to Greece at least once, usually twice, a year and the Saab has been a great car for that, big, smooth and above all supremely comfortable. I am hoping a Kodiaq can carry on in that tradition and save my ageing knees as the Saab seems to get lower every year!

Any advice around engines would be well received. With up to £20k to spend it looks like the 2.0 diesel or 1.4 petrol are the engines available both with the DSG box. I have discounted the 4x4 as, although I live in the wilds of North Norfolk, the Saab has always got me there even with summer tyres although CrossClimates are my tyre of choice.
Both engines are 150 bhp but would the diesel serve me better on the long inclines through the Alps or on the mountain roads in Greece?

Colin Lambert

Re: Happy (hopefully) New Year from Norfolk

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:33 am

Brian ,
Welcome to the forum (from a former Saab 9-3 convertible X 3 owner!)
Lovely (thirsty) cars. I HATE GM for doing what they did.

I can offer no comment on driving over the Alps I'm afraid.

I had a 1.4 DSG Kodiaq and was very pleased with it. Very torquey, good consumption and performance.

I assume you are buying privately? So personally I would avoid diesel like the plague. Prices are continuing to drop rapidly. If you intend to keep it 'til it dies, fair enough. You might also consider a petrol KAROQ if it is big enough. all the petrol engines are 1.5 with active cylinder control (it turns off 2 cylinders under light throttle load, thereby saving petrol. I get 40 round town and up to 51 on a non motorway extra urban journey. (2020 Karoq Sportline 1.5 TSi DSG)

Things to consider TSi Vs Derv are .... cost of fuel. Yo will have to work out the cost of derv with the consumption and the same for petrol and consider the difference in the cost of each fuel.. With petrol engines becoming far more efficient the advantage of Diesel is diminishing.
Also read the What Car review I have posted with reference to Skoda and you will see that the oil burners have more problems than the TSi's.
Good luck in your search.
Sportline .1.5DSG. Race Blue. S/s spare, KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:08 pm

What Colin said.....and certainly avoid diesels if you do lots of short journeys without some intermediate longer ones - you will likely get DPF problems, which probably accounts for the difference in reliability reports between petrol and diesel.

I have no experience of the Skoda 1.4, 1.5 petrol engines, but based on my experience with my 2.0 TSi, these petrol engines are surprisingly economical, if that's a factor in your decision.
Kodiaq Edition 2.0TSi Business Grey, with some extras

Grandad Brian

Post by Grandad Brian » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:14 pm

Hi guys,
Thank you for the replies. I actually get 45 to the gallon on my Greece trips even though it’s the old 2.2 diesel.
My worries are about pulling power, when we do that trip the car is well loaded, me and my wife in the front, the dog has two thirds of the boot (I have the Saab dog guard and boot divider) and the rest of the boot, the back seat and footwells are full of ‘stuff’. I have always told people that my Saab is a tractor in a posh frock but the engine pulls well even when the car is well loaded and on inclines.

Will the 1.4 tsi DSG be as willing?

Zach

Post by Zach » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:59 am

The 1.4's throttle response is made to feel peppy especially compared to the diesels. Once loaded it will feel fine in terms of response but don't expect diesel pulling power... It really depends what compromise you want to make - a car more suited to what's probably 90% of your driving a year, or get the car that can do that 10% while sacrificing some comfort of the 90% of driving you do.
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

Grandad Brian

Post by Grandad Brian » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:20 am

Thanks Zach, I obviously need to drive both 1.4tsi and 2.0 diesel, the problem I have of course, living in Norfolk, is finding a long hill to try them on!
Also having problems now with Covid in getting any test drive at all.