Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

First Month with a Skoda Kodiaq

6K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  JamieK 
#1 ·
Hi All,
This is my first post on the Kodiaq site and would like to share my first months experience.
I took delivery of a new 1.5TSI SEL, DSG 7 seater in Onyx Grey, looks great.
Took delivery on Friday 20th November. Saturday 21st and 30 miles on the clock, in torrential rain, a warning light came on that the Bonnet was open. It wasn't and I couldn't reset after opening and closing the bonnet. I was about 8 miles from home. The main problem is that when the car thinks that the bonnet is open the wipers are disabled so I had to drive home without wipers which was very scary as I couldn't see a thing and it was now dark. Took it to the dealers in the rain on the Monday where they resolved the problem with half an hour and has not returned.
About 2 weeks later I decided to visit my daughter in her new home in Mid Wales from my home in Swansea. At this time I hadn't used the Sat Nav before and set her new address into the satnav. Within 5 minutes I noticed that the screen was showing my position about 6 miles from where I actually was. It then decided to tell me to turn left in 50 yards and then do a U turn which at 70 miles an hour isn't a good idea on the M4. A little later it showed me that I was driving through a lake miles from any road although I was on a main A road. The map on the screen kept saying calculating route. At one time it actually informed me to keep on this road for 376 miles. Myself and my wife found this hilarious as the sat nav showed that I wasn't on a road at all. To keep a long story short it sorted itself out after about half an hour and was ok for a while but then the screen went blank. Fortunately I have satnav on my I phone and used that instead. Both my wife and myself found the sat nav situation hilarious. I have tried the sat nav a couple of times since the fun and games and sometimes it works and then goes bonkers again
My car is going into the dealer this week, but I don't think they will believe me.
So that's my first month with Skoda, let's hope that things improve.
Regards to all.
Alan Fox

See less See more
#2 ·
Assuming you have a Columbus system (might work with Amundsen as well) and based on the fact your screen went blank, try rebooting the Columbus.
To achieve this, turn off the unit by pressing the on/off icon until you hear a click (might take a few seconds) and then turn back on normally. You may need to do this more than once in succession e.g. 3 times and it might not work, but for what's involved, it's worth a try.

Whilst I didn't have the sat nav misbehaving, I did have the screen go blank several times during the same trip in my first month of ownership. The dealer rebooted the system and checked for loose connections (didn't find any) and it's been okay since - 2 years.

#3 ·
I've had it where the sat-nav said I was in the middle of the Bristol Channel (I was in Bridgend) took 3 trips to sort out: 1st to White Dove where they 'reset' it, yeah I know a fob off. 2nd it was off to Capitol who replaced the wire between GPS aerial & head unit, although they did say it would probably go again but couldn't change the aerial through warranty this time around. So last time it went in it got a new aerial. All good for the past 10 months.

#4 ·
Bit shitty experience on brand new car.

The above replies re: sat nav are interesting but given the timescales, both have different software to OP. Those will be MIB2 systems, OP will have MIB3 in his new car.

Dealer is the best solution. There have been several reports of the newest MIB3 infotainment systems playing up. I also have a 1.5tsi which I collected in November and apart from some wierd 'road closed' indications where the roads were never closed, all has been OK with the touchscreen Columbus system. ( trying to configure Skoda Connect was a pain tho. If you haven't already done this then don't bother - it's not worth the hassle ).

There is a new map update which with the new MIB3 systems but Skoda has a problem downloading it at present. If your dealer downloads the latest software for you then that may resolve your problem.

Must admit I wouldn't have driven in rain without wipers - I'd have called Skoda Assist and let them sort it out.

PS - Oynx Grey? Never heard of it.

#5 ·
Hi JamieK,
Thanks for your reply, I didn't think about contacting Skoda Assist. I'll update the forum after it's been with the dealer, but it does look like that there are known problems with the system, so hopefully they'll be able to fix it first time.
The Onyx Grey, is a mid to dark metallic grey that looks good with the chrome pack on the car and additional chrome I have fitted to the car. It was not though my first choice, my first choice would have been the metallic blue.
Thanks again
Alan

#6 ·
The above replies re: sat nav are interesting but given the timescales, both have different software to OP. Those will be MIB2 systems, OP will have MIB3 in his new ca
It doesn't necessarily work like that. I had a warning light on the Kodiaq that I couldn't extinguish and somebody mentioned rebooting 3 times as it was a trick he'd used on an old Fabia he'd owned several years previously.
It worked :D

#7 ·
old man said:
It doesn't necessarily work like that. I had a warning light on the Kodiaq that I couldn't extinguish and somebody mentioned rebooting 3 times as it was a trick he'd used on an old Fabia he'd owned several years previously.
It worked :D
But you don't say what software the Fabia was using - it may have been the same / similar to yours.

What we defo know in this case is that your system is different to the one the OP has.

In an ideal senario, the problem will be present when the OP takes his car back to the dealer, but it still needs to be reported. There will already be a list of known problems and hopefully solutions, but if the OP's issue is not on the list then because the MIB3 software is new, the feedback will be welcomed by the developers - it' might aid future software revisions.

The 'reboot 3 times' solution sounds to be a bit of an old wives tale if I'm being honest. I've worked in IT since 1985 and I can't think what difference that would make - it's not how software is written. The reboot process itself can sometimes skip or loop on a section of software, but there's nothing in the past 35years I can think of which indicates a specific number of identical reboots will somehow resolve a problem. Perhaps its witchcraft :lol:

#8 ·
But you don't say what software the Fabia was using -
That's because I don't know and I doubt the person who told me about it knows either as it had been some years previous that he'd owned the car.

What we defo know in this case is that your system is different to the one the OP has
That's true, but in this case it doesn't matter as the fix he'd used years previously was still the answer to my problem. So although the software might have changed, the fix was the same.

The 'reboot 3 times' solution sounds to be a bit of an old wives tale if I'm being honest.
So even though I've stated that it worked for me, you're implying I'm a liar ?

In similar vein, in my previous car I had a low level oil light illuminate on the dash. Even after topping up the oil, the light would not extinguish. Over the phone, the dealer told me to turn my ignition on and off 5 times. Who's have thought, but it did the trick and I can confirm it worked because I was there at the time. ;)

#9 ·
Hi All, I took the car into the dealer today, but it was unable to communicate with the satellites. Their going to fit a new aerial next week. They mentioned it has the latest software version and also were aware of the exact symptoms as they have had a few cars in with this problems.
Regards
Alan

#10 ·
Hi All,
Quick update on my misbehaving Columbus Sat Nav. Just had it back from the dealer who has replaced the aerial and checked all the system, it worked for about 30 seconds then again started to drift away from my actual position. My the time that I arrived home it was showing that I was on a main road 6 miles from my actual position.
Dealer is a bit stumped so is going to speak with Skoda and will get back to me early next week.

#11 ·
Foxkodiaq said:
Dealer is a bit stumped so is going to speak with Skoda and will get back to me early next week.
You mean to say they didn't reboot it three times? The bods at Skoda HQ didn't ask you to reboot it three times either? And to think they call themselves engineers. :lol:

The aerial / hardware is obviously a logical step but given the differences I see between driving our Karoq ( which has the older Columbus software ) and the Kodaiq ( which has the same system as you ) my money would be on the issue being software related. Mind you I've never won on the lottery nor the Grand National so it'd be a first !

#12 ·
Hi All,
Quick update, has had a software update, worked for about 5 miles, then started giving me false information again about my actual location. When I park the car outside my house it shows my location is about 300 yards, 3 streets away and my car is off road. Going in again next Monday for 2 or 3 days. Getting a bit fed up now. I have had satnav on numerous cars over the last 20 years or so, and this is the first fault I have ever experienced. Considering the Columbus system is approximately £1400 to have installed on some Kodiaq models it's really poor. Already planning a possible replacement, and sending this one back.

#13 ·
Foxkodiaq said:
Getting a bit fed up now. Already planning a possible replacement, and sending this one back.
Don't blame you.

Just a couple of things - what software version are you running? I think you have to go to 'SYSTEM' and then... is it 'information'? ( Sorry I forget, both car's tucked up in bed at the moment ).

Another thing is, do you use the 5hite that's more commonly known as the Skoda-Connect App? The only thing that seems to be reliable about my Skoda-Connect App is it tells me the location of the car. Just wondering where it thinks your car is?

#15 ·
Foxkodiaq said:
Already planning a possible replacement, and sending this one back.
I reckon that's what I'd be doing too.

Apart from seemingly nobody knowing how to download the latest map software on MIB3, the only complaint I have with the MIB3 Sat Nav is it picks up roadworks that are not there. I run two cars, a Kodiaq with MIB3 and a Karoq with MIB 2.5 ( I believe ). Both are 9.2" touchscreen Columbus. The Karoq doesn't inform me about roadworks that are in my village, the Kodiaq does. But it also told me about roadworks that have never been there. I don't know how it identifies roadworks or who supplies the data. Somebody was having a laugh tho - the road closure was on the main artery road so anyone using a MIB3 Sat nav would have been re-directed thru residential streets.

#16 ·
Hi All, Just a quick update re the Sat Nav situation on my Kodiaq. It is now over 3 months since I collected my new Kodiaq, and despite a couple of visits to the dealer and attempts to fix a fault where the Satnav system doesn't know where it is, I am still waiting for it to be repaired. The dealer has ordered a new Columbus system, but unfortunately they are on back order and the dealer doesn't have a delivery date. Also the issue I had with the bonnet warning light has reoccurred but after opening and closing the bonnet a couple of times the warning light went out. This is my first Skoda and it will probably be my last.

#17 ·
Hi All, Quick update on the faulty Columbus Satnav system. After several visitors to the dealer, and changing all of the Satnav equipment. Ariel, and main Satnav computer all was well for about 3 weeks. On a recent visit to North Wales it shut itself off and then tried to reboot itself, but wouldn't and just displayed Satnav initialising. After about an hour it started again. It's been alright for about a week but again it has got lost. I was passing Cardiff on the M4 earlier today when it just froze and told me I was outside a house in Port Talbot 30 miles away. Again it rebooted, but at every junction on the M4 to Bristol and the return journey it told me to leave the M4 to go onto the A roads. It's driving me mad as I can't find any instructions for it to use Motorways when possible. I've had enough with this C**p. This is the most unreliable car I have ever owned, this will be the 7th visit to the dealer and it's only done 3500 miles.
Thankfully I haven't sold my trusty Nissan Xtrail which I can use that when I need to go somewhere I am unfamiliar with.

#18 ·
It'll be of no help to say a few months down the line, the SatNav system in my car appears to be working fine. I hardly ever use it to give me directions but the map is always displayed on my instrument cluster and it's 100% accurate. The software version remains the same version but it now updates on roadworks and I notice a few other enhancements on the map which makes me believe it's updating itself over-the-air.

I'd be really annoyed tho if I were you. It's easy to say for someone not in your position but I think I'd be asking the garage for a MY21 loan car with the same columbus sat nav system and see how you get on with that. If the system in that car worked OK for me, then I'd be looking for the garage to replace the Kodiaq I bought. If they weren't open to that solution then it sounds like you have more than enough basis to reject the car. What a bummer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.