New user, new car

New to the Skoda Kodiaq Forums? Introduce yourself here
CaptainNemo

New user, new car

Post by CaptainNemo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:22 am

Hi all, scouted the forums in the build up to getting the car and figured I'd join now I have something to talk about.

Needed a bigger car to fit the kids and dog so regrettably traded in my 17 plate Audi for a Kodiaq. Ordered in August as per my sig block and drove the car home a couple of weeks ago. Order process took too long due to WLTP and the "conversion" process from MY18 to MY19 (which I was very annoyed about).

Generally happy and the space is certainly great, everyone has a seat now! In hind sight I would have ordered the pano roof and the ambient light pack but we wanted to reduce costs.

A few gripes I do have though:

Interior lights. The car is generally finished very well, why the horrible yellow halogen lights in the interior! Surely Skoda/VW group haven't saved much by not putting LEDs in.
Has anyone had experience changing them? Can't see any Kodiaq specific videos online. I've seen some forums mentioning which lights to replace them with.

Maps. Coming from audi virtual cockpit which had Google maps (I understand that this will no longer be supported for new cars? Hence not on my Kodiaq) the Skoda maps are noticeably worse, even the standard view (not Google earth) is worse.
Has anyone attempted or know if its possible to put custom maps on the car? Theoretically you could have a custom satellite map if there is a facility to get it on the car.

Rear bumper. The number around the car is plastic (assuming because its a 4x4 so as to not damage 5he paint?) however the rear bumper seems excessively plastic. Just a gripe and can't change anything clearly.
SW England
Kodiaq Edition, 2.0 TDI, DSG, 150PS, Black Magic Pearl
Virtual cockpit, 19" Sirius, Space saver spare, Rear view camera full LED rear lights, Front/rear parking sensors, Children's pack, Heated steering wheel, Isofix front seat.

old man

Re: New user, new car

Post by old man » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:40 am

I'm of the opinion that there is no such beast as the perfect car. If there were, we wouldn't have the need to keep changing them ;)
With regard to the plastic bumper, I had someone reverse into my bumper within two weeks of ownership. The bumper deformed slightly and then reformed with just a bit of paint missing which the perpetrator paid to have repaired. So whilst the incident was an annoyance, it was easily fixed, which would not have been the case if the material had been something different.

CaptainNemo

Post by CaptainNemo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:48 am

True. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the car 😉
SW England
Kodiaq Edition, 2.0 TDI, DSG, 150PS, Black Magic Pearl
Virtual cockpit, 19" Sirius, Space saver spare, Rear view camera full LED rear lights, Front/rear parking sensors, Children's pack, Heated steering wheel, Isofix front seat.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:15 pm

Welcome Capt Nemo,
I agree about the interior lights, very short sighted of Skoda. (same in my replacement Karoq)
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:09 pm

My 2018 SEL roof and boot lights are LED. Fair enough the footwell lights are normal lamps, but I like the warm glow in the footwell, LED’s would be a bit much.
I like the Google earth overlay on the maps, and a few passengers have commented that it looks “classy” :lol:
I fitted Milotec fake exhaust trims to the back bumper, I find they brighten up the black plastic bit nicely.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

Daddy2Bears

Post by Daddy2Bears » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:18 pm

I've had someone nudge my rear bumper in a car park. As it was plastic it bounced back and the mark was easily erased at the next wash.

If it had been a painted bumper I'm sure it would have cracked the paint and meant a call out to scuffs or some such to put it right.

Also, I rather like the rugged look it gives.
190 TDI 7 Seat Edition
Petrol Blue, Black Leather, Front Isofix, Tow bar Prep, Canton, Spare Wheel, ACC, Park Assist, Heated W/S-Wipers, Alu Pedals, Area View, Ambient Lighting, Personal Drive Mode Select
Various VAG-COM tweaks

Return to “Introductions”