New to the Skoda Kodiaq Forums? Introduce yourself here
Kenny R

Re: Newbie...Hi Peoples.

Post by Kenny R » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:58 am

Old and Grumpy wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:11 am
Kenny R wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:22 am
The SEL has a much better spec for not much more, and the LED headlights over the basic halogens swung my choice.
Interesting item on LBC this morning about the dangers of Xenon and LED headlights to oncoming traffic.
I find that’s its owners of cars with halogen candles that are the problem, they either fit brighter lamps or fit xenon lamp conversions in headlights not designed for them.
They also have a manual level control, but most halogen lamp equipped vehicle drivers leave this set at its highest position to get the best lighting they can from their oh so dim candles/ lights :lol:
Cars factory fitted with xenons as standard have level controls and headlights washers to prevent the scatter of light when the lens is dirty.
Factory fit LED headlights are even smarter they have automatic level control and also adjust the beam patterns for different circumstances ie the flatten the beam in city’s and change the beam pattern when it’s raining to stop dazzle, can halogen lights do any of this...no.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 am

Kenny R wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:58 am
Old and Grumpy wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:11 am
Kenny R wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:22 am
The SEL has a much better spec for not much more, and the LED headlights over the basic halogens swung my choice.
Interesting item on LBC this morning about the dangers of Xenon and LED headlights to oncoming traffic.
I find that’s its owners of cars with halogen candles that are the problem, they either fit brighter lamps or fit xenon lamp conversions in headlights not designed for them.
They also have a manual level control, but most halogen lamp equipped vehicle drivers leave this set at its highest position to get the best lighting they can from their oh so dim candles/ lights :lol:
Cars factory fitted with xenons as standard have level controls and headlights washers to prevent the scatter of light when the lens is dirty.
Factory fit LED headlights are even smarter they have automatic level control and also adjust the beam patterns for different circumstances ie the flatten the beam in city’s and change the beam pattern when it’s raining to stop dazzle, can halogen lights do any of this...no.
Doubtless everything you say is true, but if so why is the RAC the main complainant about the dazzle caused by Xenon and LED headlights? If it really is headlights converted from Halogen to Xenon/LED/bigger candles then such conversions should be made illegal and subject to MOT testing.
Last edited by Old and Grumpy on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual, 5 seater, Petrol blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys. Leicestershire.
My best car in 55 years of driving, including my previous Superb, two Octavias and a Fabia :)

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:43 pm

A18041967 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:21 pm
I decided to purchase an SE DSG as it includes most of the items I need/like. One of the key reasons for the SE was that it did NOT have sat nav, and the reason why? I have been a member of the TomTom beta team for many years and have used all of the various sat nav systems. Yes the built in Google & Waze systems are convenient but map data, live traffic and route calculation are items that TomTom is far better at. I can use Apple CarPlay and have the same TomTom features on the builtin infotainment system (TomTom CarPlay in development).

So even taking into account the cost of a new iPhone £600 you get a better system with realtime traffic, map updates.

You may say that the sat nav systems that are built in to the Kodiaq have better, larger disaplays but should you be watching the screen or the road?

Similar logic goes for a lot of the other features eg collisions detection, basic driving skills should be more important. The only two additions we've added are a towbar and reversing camera.
I have never liked Tom Tom since the one I had failed just out of warranty and their customer support were worse than useless, to be fair that was some time ago so it may have improved. The biggest gripe was that their technical support was not very technical.

I cannot comment on the quality of their guidance now as I don’t use it but one thing that I dislike is having the additional unit on the screen, the number of people who think it’s acceptable to place this in the most inappropriate places is astonishing. I much prefer the inbuilt system where the information is on the infotainment screen as well as the multifunction display/virtual cockpit.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Edition - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey - Canton
Sportline on order with Virtual Cockpit.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:05 pm

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:43 pm
A18041967 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:21 pm
I have never liked Tom Tom since the one I had failed just out of warranty and their customer support were worse than useless, to be fair that was some time ago so it may have improved. The biggest gripe was that their technical support was not very technical.

I cannot comment on the quality of their guidance now as I don’t use it but one thing that I dislike is having the additional unit on the screen, the number of people who think it’s acceptable to place this in the most inappropriate places is astonishing. I much prefer the inbuilt system where the information is on the infotainment screen as well as the multifunction display/virtual cockpit.
I think you were unlucky with your TomTom. I have had one for a couple of years now and no problems at all. The map updates are regular and free, which was certainly not the case with the built in Satnav on my old Superb. I couldn't even update that myself, it needed to be loaded from a dealership CD, and the only update on offer was after three years of driving the car. TomTom updates seem to appear every 3-4 months.

I totally agree about the idiots :evil: who position their SatNav within the windscreen area that is swept by the wipers, even some directly in front of the steering wheel! :evil: :evil: I have my TomTom sitting on the top middle of the dash, (well away from the passenger airbag), and below the line of sight to the bottom of the windscreen on the TomTom "beanbag". It has never moved, not even under cornering or heavy braking, and it is easily removed and put out of sight when the car is parked with no tell tale suction rings on the screen to alert the bad boys to its possible prescence in the car.
Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual, 5 seater, Petrol blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys. Leicestershire.
My best car in 55 years of driving, including my previous Superb, two Octavias and a Fabia :)

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:14 pm

Unfortunately for TomTom, I agree with FA.
I hd an old TT and after a rear it took anything up to 5 miles to lock onto the satellites.
So never again. (not that I will ever need one, as I too am more than happy with the builtin Skoda kit.
I did have (and still own) a low grade Garmin, before built in types and it was always superb in every way AND it gave S-o-G and speed cameras locations (er, sorry road safety cameras (yeah, right! bollox!)
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:26 pm

Colin Lambert wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:14 pm
I did have (and still own) a low grade Garmin, before built in types and it was always superb in every way AND it gave S-o-G and speed cameras locations (er, sorry road safety cameras (yeah, right! bollox!)
I am a Garmin fan. I have one of the original Garmin Etrex handhelds and it's accuracy and reliability cannot be bettered. They've got even better since Garmin teamed up with Leica Geosystems, one of the world's best manufacturers of survey equipment and GPS.

old man

Post by old man » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:43 pm

Another vote for Garmin. I have an 8 year old one which still seems to be able to get anywhere in better fashion than any built in one I've had, as long as I update it every year.
However, I do prefer the large Columbus screen and I especially like the turn by turn instructions on the dot matrix screen in front of me. I find myself looking at that more than the main screen.

It's probably my imagination, but it seems to me that the inbuilt sat nav in my old 2013 Superb worked better than the version I have in my Kodiaq.

Have Skoda changed their mapping supplier in recent years ??

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:50 pm

old man wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:43 pm
I especially like the turn by turn instructions on the dot matrix screen in front of me. I find myself looking at that more than the main screen.
Whereas I hardly ever look at the Satnav screen and simply listen to the spoken instructions. I prefer to keep my eyes on the road.

MrTrilby

Post by MrTrilby » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:26 pm

Old and Grumpy wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 am

Doubtless everything you say is true, but if so why is the RAC the main complainant about the dazzle caused by Xenon and LED headlights? If it really is headlights converted from Halogen to Xenon/LED/bigger candles then such conversions should be made illegal and subject to MOT testing.
It is illegal and you can fail your MOT for it. I suspect the RAC is the main complainant because they’re chasing some free advertising and publicity.
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:29 pm

MrTrilby wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:26 pm
Old and Grumpy wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 am

It is illegal and you can fail your MOT for it. I suspect the RAC is the main complainant because they’re chasing some free advertising and publicity.
Fair enough, thank you for the clarification. 😁

Return to “Introductions”