Lost everything I've written !!

Suggestions & Help using the Kodiaq Forum
old man

Lost everything I've written !!

Post by old man » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:26 pm

On more than one occasion when replying to a thread, the cursor in my post has thrown a wobbly and I've lost what I've written thus far.
This seems to occur when writing a longish reply.
Does anyone else experience this and is there anyway for the site to save what has been written thus far ?
I don't get this problem anywhere else, so I'm pretty sure it's not my laptop.

Pink72

Re: Lost everything I've written !!

Post by Pink72 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:00 am

No .. likely your laptop and not the site. Specially if you have one of those awful trackpads or pointers that sit in the middle of the keyboard. They are notorious for erratic pointer behaviour. Personally my laptop is the least favourite method of interaction.
Kodiaq 2.0tdi 190 4x4 DSG quartz metallic - canton, heated steering wheel, screen & rear seats, ambient light, media cmd, personalisation drive mode, front parking sensors, tri zone climate control, vico opia2 cash cam, Thule wingbars.

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:28 am

I would also ensure you have cookies enabled and they are not blocked on the site, then ensure you click the submit button, not the preview one.

old man

Post by old man » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:22 am

Thankyou :D

Swindiaq

Post by Swindiaq » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:14 am

I would echo Pink72's comments.
Personally I always use a wireless USB mouse as those trackpads have caused me similar problems many a time!
2017 SE L / 1.4 TSI 2wd DSG / 7seat / black everything / Canton / front sensors / rear cam / ACC / traffic recog / Williams ceramic protection

old man

Post by old man » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:46 am

I do use a usb mouse as I can't stand touchpads.
I probably didn't explain well enough what is actually happening, and likely it has nothing to do with the mouse.
Partway through writing a longer post, the cursor will skip to another place on the page. Whilst I can bring it back to the correct place for continuation of typing, the system will not allow me to type anything.
Following that, normally on the first line of text I wrote, a coloured bar (normally yellow) will appear and travel back and forward across that line for a while, after which all the text I've written disappears and I have to start again - bloody aggravating !!
After this occurred twice yesterday, I wrote what I needed say in Word and then copied and pasted it here.

A similar thing used to happen several years ago on a paddling site I'm a member of (using a different laptop), but on that site there's a "remember me" box that can be ticked which prevents this occurrence. I don't see one of hose on this site.

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:57 am

The yellow bar might be autocomplete? Where the browser tries to automatically insert something into the box? Or do you have any plugins, adblockers, password managers running?

I would test from a different browser, so try Chrome if using IE or switch to Opera to test.

ChrisL

Post by ChrisL » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:54 pm

When I'm going to compose a long reply to a posting I tend to write it in Microsoft Word which has auto save functionality anyway.

It's important to remember that websites use sessions, which can time out resulting in a posting being lost if too much time has elapsed.
Petrol Blue 2.0TDi 190ps DSG 7 seat Edition with black leather, front/rear parking sensors, heated front windscreen/washer jets, ventilated seats, adaptive cruise control, traffic sign recognition, driver personalisation and rear view camera.

old man

Post by old man » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:03 pm

It's important to remember that websites use sessions, which can time out resulting in a posting being lost if too much time has elapsed.

That's what was happening on my paddling site, although I didn't know it at the time as it was the first forum I'd ever joined.

Putting a tick in the "remember me" box prevents this happening.

old man

Post by old man » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:05 pm

Rob wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:57 am
The yellow bar might be autocomplete? Where the browser tries to automatically insert something into the box? Or do you have any plugins, adblockers, password managers running?

I would test from a different browser, so try Chrome if using IE or switch to Opera to test.

Thankyou again :D

Return to “Website Issues”