Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Winter Tyres

11K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Savage 
#1 ·
I've been running winter tyres on my cars for the last 10 years, mainly because we travel in to Czech in the winter and it makes sence especially if we go skiing.

I was wondering if anyone has brought or thought about getting a set of winter wheels and tyres for their Kodiaq. I've seen that they do them as an extra but haven't seen the cost.

I must say I've always been really impressed with the winter tyres on my Toyota and suspect the Kodiaq would be amazing in the snow with them on!

#2 ·
I'm thinking about winter tyres but on steel rims (cheaper and also more robust against the salt/grit on our UK roads). My Kodiaq is due in early May and once here I'll size up for a set of 19" rims. The extra precaution before I do all this is that I'd have to check out how much my insurer would charge for a modification to the original spec with steel rims. I can't get away with cheaper 17" basic OEM alloys as it would need the speedo etc to be recalibrated each time the wheels are swapped over.

#3 ·
With my old cars when I swapped the alloys with summer tyres to steels with winters the insurance companies were not interested... it was only if I upgraded the alloys did they start charging!
I'll have 18 inch alloys but 17 inch steels with larger profile tyres should be ok and not mess with the speedo too much.

#4 ·
MoominPapa said:
I can't get away with cheaper 17" basic OEM alloys as it would need the speedo etc to be recalibrated each time the wheels are swapped over.
Yes you can use 17's, if you use the correct profile tyres the speedo will not need recalibrating.
On 17's the stock car has 215/65/17 giving a 0.89% speed reading difference, well within margins.

#6 ·
Gizmo68 said:
I'm not away of any VAG 19" steel wheels (or 18")

You may find some 17" steels if you are lucky.
Skoda do a 17" steel with winter tyres as an accessory. They also offer an 18" alloy with winters as an accessory. Not sure about the 19"

#7 ·
I may have a spare set of 19inch triglavs available for offers come end june - i've ordered 19inch craters to go on mine.

#8 ·
In my experience wide tyres in winter (particularly in snow) are a hindrance.
Used to have a Series 3 Land Rover on really skinny tyres, that would cut through and go anywhere, towing out flashy new cars on wide low profiles!

#9 ·
KodiaqPetrolHead said:
In my experience wide tyres in winter (particularly in snow) are a hindrance.
Used to have a Series 3 Land Rover on really skinny tyres, that would cut through and go anywhere, towing out flashy new cars on wide low profiles!
Yep, I remember my old tatty zafira on 15" wheels with snow tyres sailing up a snowy hill past an X5 who was going no where! :D
I'll either be going with the 17" steels and winter tyres or the 18".
Winters tend to have a wider tread to help self clean and a softer compound to help it grip better in the low temps. They are a vast improvement at 7 deg or below.

#10 ·
Lord Muck, why don't you buy them in Czech if you go skiing. They maybe cheaper than the uk and more choice? Winter tyres as your will probably know are mandatory in CZ in the winter.

#11 ·
Geoff. said:
Lord Muck, why don't you buy them in Czech if you go skiing. They maybe cheaper than the uk and more choice? Winter tyres as your will probably know are mandatory in CZ in the winter.
Yeah we are going over in July, so I'll pop into the Skoda dealer over there and price them up.

#12 ·
Dealer here (Sweden) has a list price of 1500 Euros for 17" alloys with winter tyres (nordic climate).

I have always used alloys during winter from VAG, BMW, Volvo etc, and never had problems with the vast quantities of salt on the roads. Those alloys come with quality surface finishing. It's when you get a less expensive set of alloys from the local wheeler dealer you end up with corrosion problems.

By the way, I find wider (like 205-235) winter tires work a lot better in the nordic winter than the old 175-195 dimensions. The wider tires don't wander around so much on the road.

#13 ·
We pick up our K mid-October so will be looking at winter tyres pretty soon afterwards. Our Edition will have 19" Triglavs so wondered if anyone had recommendations on tyres to swap out?
Thanks

#15 ·
davebakerpurton said:
You could look at the Michelin Cross climate, I've used them, very good
Do they go up to 19" now?

Last time I checked it was only up to 18".

#16 ·
Yes Andyvee I think you are right, the Michelin website only shows them up to 18"
We've usually had a proper winter tyre and then swapped back out for the summers in the spring

#17 ·
I'm not a big fan of all weathers, but those cross-climate got excellent reviews.

I normally do the same - swap wheels over, but I'm not sure with the K if I can be bothered, unless I can get a set of 17" steels for sensible money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.