Tyre Pressure Monitoring

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
SinglePointSafety

Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring

Post by SinglePointSafety » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:45 pm

On the off-chance that this is still useful..... with my Edition 2.0TSi due for collection in a few weeks, I asked Skoda UK if the car would have direct or indirect TPMS. This matters because I'm going to change the wheels from 19 inch to 17 inch and fit all-season tyres, so needed to know if there are TPMS sensors involved. Anyway, the official reply was that my car will have indirect TPMS, which makes things a lot easier.

Colleague's experience with his Honda: "brilliant reliability, only thing that gives me trouble is.... the TPMS sensors."
Kodiaq Edition 2.0TSi Business Grey, with some extras

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:43 pm

SinglePointSafety wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:45 pm
On the off-chance that this is still useful..... with my Edition 2.0TSi due for collection in a few weeks, I asked Skoda UK if the car would have direct or indirect TPMS. This matters because I'm going to change the wheels from 19 inch to 17 inch and fit all-season tyres, so needed to know if there are TPMS sensors involved. Anyway, the official reply was that my car will have indirect TPMS, which makes things a lot easier.

Colleague's experience with his Honda: "brilliant reliability, only thing that gives me trouble is.... the TPMS sensors."
I have had two false alarms on my two Kodiaq’s, the tyre pressures were as required. Generally I am happy this it, compared to the Vauxhall version it’s great. One reason, of many, why I would not get a Vauxhall.

On the new Sportline I noticed uneven tyre wear on the near side front. The tyres they put on as standard ( Continental ContiSportContact™ 5) seem to wear quickly compared to the Hankooks which I expected but they are almost gone after 10k miles., online reviews seem to suggest this is normal for them as they are soft compound)

Anyone had the same issue?

Which all season tyre do people suggest, value versus performance?
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:02 pm

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:43 pm
SinglePointSafety wrote:

For best all weather performance and long lasting life it would seem that Michelin Cross Climate are hard to beat. Not the cheapest, but like all Michelin's, they last for lots of miles.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:38 pm

Old and Grumpy wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:02 pm
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
SinglePointSafety wrote:

For best all weather performance and long lasting life it would seem that Michelin Cross Climate are hard to beat. Not the cheapest, but like all Michelin's, they last for lots of miles.
Thank-you, unfortunately they don’t do the right size from what I can see.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:01 am

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:38 pm
Old and Grumpy wrote:
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:

235/55R18 are available but not sure about the other rims.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:34 am

Old and Grumpy wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:01 am
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:38 pm
Old and Grumpy wrote:

235/55R18 are available but not sure about the other rims.
Looks like they only go up to 19".

wokwon

Post by wokwon » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:41 am

Can retrofit the TPMS-Direct, works fine. The parts are pretty cheap. Problem is you can't code a new controller module using VCDS, you need ODIS to do it (or VCP). ODIS seems to be in a competition with IBM Notes for the worst user interface ever.
5Q0907273B - Controller module thingy
4x 5Q0907275B - Wheel pressure sensor thingies

20200115_173612.thumb.jpg.346b9ee770dbc2b24b9d2165137e3973.jpg

20200115_173616.thumb.jpg.00988f702532ff6c9baaf7ac83937b3c.jpg

---
MY19 Skodiaq 132TSI

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:40 am

SinglePointSafety wrote:
This matters because I'm going to change the wheels from 19 inch to 17 inch and fit all-season tyres,
Don't forget to notify your Insurer of the wheel change or risk a non payout for any claim. Also might be worth a quiet word with your dealer viz-a-viz warranty?
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:10 pm

Thanks Colin, that's excellent advice, I am indeed aware of the need to tell the insurance company. have already had a conversation with them: because the wheels I intend to use are (a) smaller, with higher-profile tyres and (b) conform to Skoda's approved list of sizes, their response was 'no problem'. But if I wanted to do something weird and pointless, like mega-big wheels, rubber band tyres, spacers to move the wheels out by 50 cm (slight exaggeration) then their response would be, er, different.
Regarding warranty, the advice from Skoda UK was 'no problem, but any issue with the wheels themselves is down to me claiming from the supplier'.

SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:43 pm

Brief update: did indeed notify my insurance company (LV) regarding the changes to smaller wheels, they are totally happy. Due to collect the car later this week, Covid-19 permitting, then change the wheels the day after collection. My local tyre fitter operates a wheel/tyre 'hotel', plan is to re-fit original wheels when I eventually sell the car.