Tyre Pressure Monitoring

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Colin Lambert

Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:17 am

TPMS works on the rolling radius of the tyre. Therefore if you get a puncture the RR decreases. This is measured against the other tyre's RR hence the warning coming up. It CAN be 'mis-triggered' by hitting a pot hole, ice or snow or simply axle tramp, caused by over exuberant acceleration especially when a large degree of lock is applied i:e: pulling out of a side road and turning left or right.

Hugh.
I think your response to Sheepskin & Trilby was a bit OTT.
Please play nicely!
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
"Trolling" redirects here. For other uses, see Troll (disambiguation).
"Do not feed the troll" redirects here. For the Wikipedia advice, see Wikipedia:Deny recognition.

This particular troll lives in Honningsvåg, Norway about 500 km north of the Arctic Circle
In Internet slang, a troll (/troʊl, trɒl/) is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Hugh Fanism

Post by Hugh Fanism » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:21 am

Sheepskin & Trilby wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:56 pm
"Are you trolling now? Let's pretend you're not for a while. It's clearly only going to think you've got a flat if a wheel is consistently rotating slower than the others. Missing a rotation here and there because you've hit a pothole or ran over a goat isn't going to make your car think you've got a flat."

Hugh, a bit of an abrupt response to a serious comment, lets pretend that its only bad manners on your part, for a while at least. Hugh, cars don't think, they have computers that make calculations and these will be set by mathematicians, so you appear to be saying that the mathematician has built errors into the monitoring programme ???

What you appear to be saying is that if you drive round a circular track or perhaps a short oval the tyre detection system would think you have a flat, but if you had a puncture you might notice immediately but the detection system would not ?

Old and Grumpy "I believe it does work on a difference in rotation speeds of the wheels over a medium period so will not activate on turning corners." If so there is the question about how long does it measure for before it decides there is a problem, what is the is the % rate of rotation of the other wheels of that calculation and would it be an average of the others or just the fastest, ie does it decide more quickly for motorway driving than urban driving, what is the margin of error of under rotation ie what % of the tyre revolutions would the under rotation have to be to be in order to be classified as an error.

If that is the situation and you have quite a number of independent rotations on for example slowly traversing a gap on a ditch, that must show up as a pressure error rather than a diff notification, surely. Worrying to think you might think you have a puncture in that situation. What happens if you deflate when you are stopped, say parked would a slow puncture not show up before you started driving, worrying if it can't detect a problem before you drive !

I would have thought a better and more accurate system would be to monitor the actual pressure of the tyre, originally via caps on valves, these days inside the wheel rim .

Why measure rotation when you can do the job properly and measure pressure, unless its manufacturing cost ?
You asked quite a silly question that had a fairly obvious answer that you most likely already knew. I'm not rude, I'm just pragmatic and to the point.

You answer your own question in the end there as well. It certainly is a more expensive system that measures pressure.
1.4 DSG SE L, council blue, acc.
"Johnny ain't so crazy, he's always got a line for the ladies"

Hugh Fanism

Post by Hugh Fanism » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:25 am

Colin Lambert wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:17 am
TPMS works on the rolling radius of the tyre. Therefore if you get a puncture the RR decreases. This is measured against the other tyre's RR hence the warning coming up. It CAN be 'mis-triggered' by hitting a pot hole, ice or snow or simply axle tramp, caused by over exuberant acceleration especially when a large degree of lock is applied i:e: pulling out of a side road and turning left or right.

Hugh.
I think your response to Sheepskin & Trilby was a bit OTT.
Please play nicely!
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
"Trolling" redirects here. For other uses, see Troll (disambiguation).
"Do not feed the troll" redirects here. For the Wikipedia advice, see Wikipedia:Deny recognition.

This particular troll lives in Honningsvåg, Norway about 500 km north of the Arctic Circle
In Internet slang, a troll (/troʊl, trɒl/) is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.
I'll be honest Colin, I do think he's trolling. His posts are well written and show intelligence but is asking questions to which the answers are obvious. Then when people give the obvious answers is insinuating that they're wrong.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:28 am

Hugh,
I'll PM you.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:29 am

That seems to be a completely different definition of "trolling".
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

Sheepskin & Trilby

Post by Sheepskin & Trilby » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:37 am

Hugh, why would you expect me to know ???????

This is a forum - not a 'I have more knowledge than you fest' so your response was abrupt and unnecessary.

An answer was provided, I responded in a way that I considered there could be issues and Colin confirms my thoughts.

My consideration that TPMS does not actually monitor pressure so will not detect a parked car air leak on starting is confirmed. So in this situation pressure monitoring is better than getting half way down the road to find that X fragment of a bar is missing from the tyre.

I don't mind robust responses but when you write that I am trolling by my providing an alternative opinion and highlighting issues to anothers response, then you appear to be stifling forum discussion ! ( as well as being insulting)
Last edited by Sheepskin & Trilby on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:43 am

"Hugh, why would you expect me to know ???????

This is a forum - not a 'I have more knowledge than you fest' so you response was abrupt and unnecessary.

An answer was provided, I responded in a way that I considered there could be issues and Colin confirms my thoughts.

My consideration that TPMS does not actually monitor pressure so will not detect a parked car air leak on starting is confirmed. So in this situation pressure monitoring is better than getting half way down the road to find that X fragment of a bar is missing from the tyre.

I don't mind robust responses but when you write that I am trolling by my providing an alternative opinion and highlighting issues to anothers response, then you appear to be stifling forum discussion ! ( as well as being insulting)"

I cannot agree with you more. WELL SAID!
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

Hugh Fanism

Post by Hugh Fanism » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:10 pm

Sheepskin & Trilby wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:37 am
Hugh, why would you expect me to know ???????

This is a forum - not a 'I have more knowledge than you fest' so your response was abrupt and unnecessary.

I don't mind robust responses but when you write that I am trolling by my providing an alternative opinion and highlighting issues to anothers response, then you appear to be stifling forum discussion ! ( as well as being insulting)
I think you're crediting the system with having much more sensitivity than it has. If it went off every time you went over a pothole we'd be in trouble. I drive over an uneven surface every time I get in the car and mine has never went off yet.

Kef357

Post by Kef357 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:04 am

Folks
For your info:

On Kodiaq MY19 and earlier cars the tyre monitoring is via the ABS system.

For MY20 this is changing to individual tyre pressure sensors on the valves, so hopefully PSI readings for each wheel.

Will ask the dealer if this can be deactivated or switched for winter wheels/tyres when it arrives
Edition 190Tdi DSG 4x4, ordered sept 2018

Zach

Post by Zach » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:37 pm

Kef357 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:04 am
Folks
For your info:

On Kodiaq MY19 and earlier cars the tyre monitoring is via the ABS system.

For MY20 this is changing to individual tyre pressure sensors on the valves, so hopefully PSI readings for each wheel.

Will ask the dealer if this can be deactivated or switched for winter wheels/tyres when it arrives
Both will be available, with indirect TPMS (via ABS) standard and direct TPMS a cost option.
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows