Tyre Pressure Monitoring

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
CEL321

Tyre Pressure Monitoring

Post by CEL321 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:02 am

Does anybody know how the Skoda Kodiak tyre pressure monitoring works?

I recently got a warning while on the M40 but there was no indication of which tyre and a check of pressures did not reveal anything untoward.

I reset the tyre pressures and all seems to be OK.
2.0 TSI Scout. Driver Assistance package and Dynamic Chassis Control

Sheepskin & Trilby

Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring

Post by Sheepskin & Trilby » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:49 am

As far as I can make out the tyres are set on the infotainment when cold. When you drive the pressures change and the warning comes up.

Reset to when hot, you may get a cold warning but in normal driving they should be ok.

This happened to me and reset. All ok since.
Last edited by Sheepskin & Trilby on Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hugh Fanism

Post by Hugh Fanism » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:58 am

Sheepskin & Trilby wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:49 am
As far as I can make out the tyres are set on the infotainment when cold. When you drive the pressures change and the warning comes up.

Reset to when hot, you may get a cold warning but in normal driving they should be ok.

This happened to me and I did hat you did all, ok since.
:lol:

I'm pretty sure the warning comes on if the car thinks a wheel is rotating at a different speed to the others.
1.4 DSG SE L, council blue, acc.
"Johnny ain't so crazy, he's always got a line for the ladies"

Sheepskin & Trilby

Post by Sheepskin & Trilby » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:17 pm

"I'm pretty sure the warning comes on if the car thinks a wheel is rotating at a different speed to the others."

What happens when the car turns corners or you are in snow, mud etc . This might be diff message light ???????

Swindiaq

Post by Swindiaq » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:10 pm

Hugh Fanism wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:58 am
I'm pretty sure the warning comes on if the car thinks a wheel is rotating at a different speed to the others.

Yes I believe that's how it works... when wheel rotation changes unexpectedly. Possibly uses the ABS sensor?
Says in the manual it won't necessarily be triggered by sudden deflation. Though I would think you'd notice that anyway!
2017 SE L / 1.4 TSI 2wd DSG / 7seat / black everything / Canton / front sensors / rear cam / ACC / traffic recog / Williams ceramic protection

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:58 pm

I have had this happen once on the A14. Stopped and checked all tyres, all OK. That is the only time it has happened in six months from new. I believe it does work on a difference in rotation speeds of the wheels over a medium period so will not activate on turning corners.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

Hugh Fanism

Post by Hugh Fanism » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:32 pm

Sheepskin & Trilby wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:17 pm
"I'm pretty sure the warning comes on if the car thinks a wheel is rotating at a different speed to the others."

What happens when the car turns corners or you are in snow, mud etc . This might be diff message light ???????
Are you trolling now? Let's pretend you're not for a while. It's clearly only going to think you've got a flat if a wheel is consistently rotating slower than the others. Missing a rotation here and there because you've hit a pothole or ran over a goat isn't going to make your car think you've got a flat.
1.4 DSG SE L, council blue, acc.
"Johnny ain't so crazy, he's always got a line for the ladies"

Sheepskin & Trilby

Post by Sheepskin & Trilby » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:56 pm

"Are you trolling now? Let's pretend you're not for a while. It's clearly only going to think you've got a flat if a wheel is consistently rotating slower than the others. Missing a rotation here and there because you've hit a pothole or ran over a goat isn't going to make your car think you've got a flat."

Hugh, a bit of an abrupt response to a serious comment, lets pretend that its only bad manners on your part, for a while at least. Hugh, cars don't think, they have computers that make calculations and these will be set by mathematicians, so you appear to be saying that the mathematician has built errors into the monitoring programme ???

What you appear to be saying is that if you drive round a circular track or perhaps a short oval the tyre detection system would think you have a flat, but if you had a puncture you might notice immediately but the detection system would not ?

Old and Grumpy "I believe it does work on a difference in rotation speeds of the wheels over a medium period so will not activate on turning corners." If so there is the question about how long does it measure for before it decides there is a problem, what is the is the % rate of rotation of the other wheels of that calculation and would it be an average of the others or just the fastest, ie does it decide more quickly for motorway driving than urban driving, what is the margin of error of under rotation ie what % of the tyre revolutions would the under rotation have to be to be in order to be classified as an error.

If that is the situation and you have quite a number of independent rotations on for example slowly traversing a gap on a ditch, that must show up as a pressure error rather than a diff notification, surely. Worrying to think you might think you have a puncture in that situation. What happens if you deflate when you are stopped, say parked would a slow puncture not show up before you started driving, worrying if it can't detect a problem before you drive !

I would have thought a better and more accurate system would be to monitor the actual pressure of the tyre, originally via caps on valves, these days inside the wheel rim .

Why measure rotation when you can do the job properly and measure pressure, unless its manufacturing cost ?

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:54 am

Sheepskin and Trilby

"I would have thought a better and more accurate system would be to monitor the actual pressure of the tyre, originally via caps on valves, these days inside the wheel rim ."

So go to Halfords and buy yourself a set of those pressure monitoring valve caps.

Simply Clever.

:P
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

Sheepskin & Trilby

Post by Sheepskin & Trilby » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:02 am

Old and Grumpy "So go to Halfords and buy yourself a set of those pressure monitoring valve caps."

I can only just remember that they were about in the 90's Can you still buy these, perhaps from an antiques market rather than somewhere so modern as Halfords?