Rear Pads and Discs Premature Failure

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
ianlovell1959

Rear Pads and Discs Premature Failure

Post by ianlovell1959 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:04 pm

Just had a second service on my Kodiaq. Rear pads worn and discs scored and pitted. Need replacement. Car is DSG and only 18 months old, 27k motorway miles. Rear discs typically last much much longer than this and fronts always wear out first. I have seen other people commenting with the same issue, citing issues with electronic handbrake not releasing quickly enough or binding. Equally I cannot find a way to let the car sit on level ground with the handbrake off. Has anyone else had similar problems?

FoxtrotAlpha

Re: Rear Pads and Discs Premature Failure

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:49 pm

ianlovell1959 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:04 pm
Just had a second service on my Kodiaq. Rear pads worn and discs scored and pitted. Need replacement. Car is DSG and only 18 months old, 27k motorway miles. Rear discs typically last much much longer than this and fronts always wear out first. I have seen other people commenting with the same issue, citing issues with electronic handbrake not releasing quickly enough or binding. Equally I cannot find a way to let the car sit on level ground with the handbrake off. Has anyone else had similar problems?
Had the same issue after 12 months and 16k miles. Dealer and Skoda UK discounted as a goodwill gesture but will not replace under warranty of say that this is acceptable wear and tear. I will be taking this further as Skoda UK are not denying or confirming that this is acceptable. This is an expert of their latest email:

“I can confirm that the fault on your vehicle is classed as wear and tear and is, therefore, not covered by ŠKODA UK’s comprehensive manufacturer’s warranty since your vehicle is more than 6 months old as well as the mileage on your vehicle is above 6500 miles.

The goodwill gesture made to yourself is made without prejudice considering your disappointment with the issue. As you can appreciate ŠKODA UK is not legally obliged to make a goodwill gesture, we are unable to change to this decision.”

I was a bit bemused as they have admitted it was a fault but was also wear and tear.

PM me if you want more details.

I won’t be getting another Skoda.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

ianlovell1959

Post by ianlovell1959 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:07 pm

I have contacted Skoda and lodged complaint. They also told me to ask Dealer for goodwill, but not right as a manufacturer issue.

JamieK

Post by JamieK » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:12 pm

If I can offer some advice.

I do not see where Skoda have admitted any fault in that response quoted above. How would you have phrased the letter? It's perfectly obvious what's meant is the fault you complained about has been put down to wear and tear, which given your car's mileage and age, isn't covered under warranty.

Take it further if you want but unless you employ the services of an independent engineer; that you're prepared to take the matter to small claims and you're prepared for small claims to say Skoda are in the clear i.e. you'll loose even more money, then I suggest your wasting your time. It's just not worth it given the relatively small replacement costs, especially when the 'goodwill' tool has been applied.

The other point of course from both replies is people are talking about contacting Skoda UK. You bought the car of a dealer, your contract is with the dealer so if you're serious about taking matters further and not just letting off stream then you truely are wasting your time contacting Skoda UK.

It's a bugger when things like this happens, but at the end of the day, Skoda could be correct, it could well be down to wear and tear, the onus is on you to prove otherwise.

The only thing I agree with is when someone says it'll be my last Skoda. Voting with your feet is the only way that'll hurt them. That said, you better not buy a SEAT, VW or Audi either as they all use the same parts.

Sorry if that seems negative to you but that's life.

update: thinking on it, if I were in your position, I change whatever needs changed, but I would be using parts from a branded supplier who has a good reputation.

ianlovell1959

Post by ianlovell1959 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:06 pm

Thank you JamieK, for your advice on how best I should proceed, however my question was whether anyone has had a similar experience with their Skoda Kodiaq? like FoxtrotAlpha and others on different forums.
So, if anyone has had a similar issue or equally has had rear pads and discs that have lasted a long time, I would be interested to hear from them.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:23 pm

JamieK wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:12 pm
If I can offer some advice.

I do not see where Skoda have admitted any fault in that response quoted above. How would you have phrased the letter? It's perfectly obvious what's meant is the fault you complained about has been put down to wear and tear, which given your car's mileage and age, isn't covered under warranty.

Take it further if you want but unless you employ the services of an independent engineer; that you're prepared to take the matter to small claims and you're prepared for small claims to say Skoda are in the clear i.e. you'll loose even more money, then I suggest your wasting your time. It's just not worth it given the relatively small replacement costs, especially when the 'goodwill' tool has been applied.

The other point of course from both replies is people are talking about contacting Skoda UK. You bought the car of a dealer, your contract is with the dealer so if you're serious about taking matters further and not just letting off stream then you truely are wasting your time contacting Skoda UK.

It's a bugger when things like this happens, but at the end of the day, Skoda could be correct, it could well be down to wear and tear, the onus is on you to prove otherwise.

The only thing I agree with is when someone says it'll be my last Skoda. Voting with your feet is the only way that'll hurt them. That said, you better not buy a SEAT, VW or Audi either as they all use the same parts.

Sorry if that seems negative to you but that's life.

update: thinking on it, if I were in your position, I change whatever needs changed, but I would be using parts from a branded supplier who has a good reputation.
It is not my job to word their emails, they used the word fault so I would assume they deem it as such.

I treat as such as my previous Kodiaq did over 40k miles and the discs had plenty of life on them before it was returned. I know exactly what should be expected on this car and it is obvious that 16k miles is woefully inadequate. If it’s not a fault why is it that Skoda are refusing to answer the simple yes/no question such as “is 16,000 miles Skoda’s expected life for these components?” Of course they won’t answer that but we all know the answer.

Of course you could replace the discs and pads yourself with another makes but if this is related to the electric braking system not releasing correctly and not a component defect then they will get shredded too. If this a break setup/design problem that is causing excessive wear to the brakes then surely it’s a valid warranty claim against the electric brake system and the pads and discs should be replaced as a consequential loss. Skoda is not addressing the route cause of this.

For your information I have not bought any car and my contract is with Skoda Financial Services so I feel I have every right to contact Skoda directly and not just the dealer who supplied it. I do not own or will ever own any part of that car as it’s leased.

If you think, which you clearly do, that it was a waste of time raising this as a complaint with Skoda UK it wasn’t. They have matched the dealers goodwill offer so I think it was worthwhile.... OK it’s only another £80 off but was worth the effort unless you like throwing money away.

I think it’s also worthwhile pointing out that as part of a hire contract you are expected to replace all parts with official Skoda OEM components. That’s in the contract so if I did replace with non-Skoda parts then they could have me for breach of contract and it could invalidate my warranty and affect any further warranty claims.

If you believe the only other other course of action is small claims court then you are sadly mistaken, there are other things I can do and am doing, but I welcome your comments although I already knew the cost and consequences of going that route.

I hope you will be as charitable to Skoda if or when your brakes have expired prematurely.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey