Tyre Pressure Monitoring

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Alan Chapple

Re: Tyre Pressure Monitoring

Post by Alan Chapple » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:48 pm

I'm probably being a bit simplistic BUT I always assumed the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System would actually monitor TYRE PRESSURE not wheel rotation?
2.0 TDI 190bhp, Edition, 4x4, DSG, Quartz Grey

A18041967

Post by A18041967 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:11 pm

Kef357 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:04 am
Folks
For your info:

On Kodiaq MY19 and earlier cars the tyre monitoring is via the ABS system.

For MY20 this is changing to individual tyre pressure sensors on the valves, so hopefully PSI readings for each wheel.

Will ask the dealer if this can be deactivated or switched for winter wheels/tyres when it arrives
A very basic question but how will I know if I'm getting MY19 or MY20, ordered pre built car which I'll be collecting in the next week?
Duncan
Kadiaq SE 5 Seats, 2.0TDi 150, DSG FWD

Swindiaq

Post by Swindiaq » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:14 pm

Alan Chapple wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:48 pm
I'm probably being a bit simplistic BUT I always assumed the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System would actually monitor TYRE PRESSURE not wheel rotation?
The ABS version is more of a rapid deflation warning. If I understood it correctly, it's able to measure the diameter of the tyre and compare to the other wheels, by counting the rotations.
2017 SE L / 1.4 TSI 2wd DSG / 7seat / black everything / Canton / front sensors / rear cam / ACC / traffic recog / Williams ceramic protection

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:01 pm

Swindiaq wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:14 pm
Alan Chapple wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:48 pm
The ABS version is more of a rapid deflation warning. If I understood it correctly, it's able to measure the diameter of the tyre and compare to the other wheels, by counting the rotations.
An earlier post in this thread says;

"Says in the manual it won't necessarily be triggered by sudden deflation."

I think it can only measure a drop in pressure if one wheel consistently rotates faster than the other wheel on the same axle.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:09 pm

From experience most of these systems are very reliable. The worst one so far is Vauxhall’s which constantly went off on every hire car I had from them.

My experience on Skoda isn’t particularly great either, none on the Kodiaq yet but on the Octavia vRS I had 3 false alarms and when I did blow out the side wall on a tyre on a pothole I got not response from it at all.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey
Somewhere in Scotland.

old man

Post by old man » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:19 pm

I've gotten slightly lost during this thread due to talk of tyre pressures, rolling radius , trolling etc etc, but it was fortuitous that I'd seen this thread before today, as;
I was driving home in a torrential downpour which had recently started, so the roads would have been slippery.
I drove around a small roundabout, and shortly after accelerating away, my TPM alarm sounded and indicated low pressure in my front, left tyre.
Having felt no unusual driving characteristics before or after the alarm, I continued driving until it was safe to pull in. I was loathe to get out of the car to check the tyre because it was absolutely hissing down, but the inbuilt umbrella was a help here, if I disregard the fact that I'm not small and the umbrella is :roll:
I could see no noticeable signs of deflation, so I continued on to my home about 4 miles away after resetting the alarm.
I checked all the pressures once home and the rain had abated and found the offending tyre to have 3psi less pressure than the others.

So, questions going through my head; Did I get some slippage on one of the front tyres after accelerating from the roundabout making the rolling radius theory correct ?
Is my vehicle monitoring actual pressures ?
If the rolling radius theory is correct, how many psi of pressure must be lost before the system alarms (3psi in my case I hear you say) ?
I see pictures in my handbook (yes, I actually looked at it today) of a screen in the infotainment system where pressures can be entered for each individual wheel and a low pressure limit can also be entered. I couldn't find this screen in my car, so I assume my lowly SE L doesn't have this facility ?

I note that the OP had no indication in his Scout of which tyre had low pressure, whereas I did in my SE L. I would have thought that a Scout had more bells and whistles than a SE L. It would be much easier if all the warning functions were made standard across the range, (surely we all deserve the same level of protection), but failing that, it would be nice if the handbook that came with our car was specific to the model we purchased :roll:

old man

Post by old man » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:29 pm

Further to my previous dissertation. I lowered all my tyre pressures last week because I'd had them set high for caravan towing, which made the ride rather harsh on anything other than smooth roads. I noted at the time that one of the front tyres had lost some air. Todays incident looks like it confirmed that, so I'm naturally thinking I have a slow puncture.

I have Pirelli seal inside tyres fitted, so shouldn't they prevent any air escaping if there's a foreign object in the tread ?

flek

Post by flek » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:27 pm

A bit off topic, but Kodiaq is getting pressure monitoring in valves/tyres (I am not sure how to call them in english) in MY20. They can be seen in czech price-list for MY20. In other news Ingite rims can be seen in some pdf with accessories (it has ET38 instead of ET41).

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:58 pm

old man wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:29 pm
Further to my previous dissertation. I lowered all my tyre pressures last week because I'd had them set high for caravan towing, which made the ride rather harsh on anything other than smooth roads. I noted at the time that one of the front tyres had lost some air. Todays incident looks like it confirmed that, so I'm naturally thinking I have a slow puncture.

I have Pirelli seal inside tyres fitted, so shouldn't they prevent any air escaping if there's a foreign object in the tread ?
Depends on what has punctured the tyre. Seal Inside is not guaranteed to cure all punctures. If the hole is slightly too large for Seal inside you may still get a slow leak.
Last edited by Old and Grumpy on Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

old man

Post by old man » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:22 pm

Seal Inside is not guaranteed to cure all punctures. If the hole is slightly too large for Seal inside you may still get a slow leak.

That's pretty much what I thought, thankyou :)

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”