Winter tyres and spare rims

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Faults and Fixes
Italy Paul

Winter tyres and spare rims

Post by Italy Paul » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:58 am

Hi all, I have been driving my Kodiaq for 4 months and absolutely love it. What an amazing car. I need to put winter tyres on and thought I would get spare rims as well. My mechanic here thinks I need to get rims compatible with the tyre pressure sensors. Is that correct or will any rims do? What does a cheap set of rims cost for tyres of this size, 215/65/17” 99V ? On my last car I had 1 set of rims and each year he swapped them over. Any thoughts?
Delivered 1.4 TSI 125, Active, manual, 7 seater, jungle green.

Gloucskodi

Re: Winter tyres and spare rims

Post by Gloucskodi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:46 pm

I thought the tyre pressure sensor worked by sensing the rotations of the tyre. I.e. when the diameter changes it will rotate differently.
I don't believe there's anything special about the rims. It will be taking data from the abs system.
There is a setting in the car infotainment to reset the pressure warning, which does the calibration. You need to do it after changing the pressure in the tyres, and probably if you change the Rim sizes etc.
1.4 se-l 2wd dsg.
Petrol blue alcantera beige
Reversing camera, heated front screen

andyvee

Re: Winter tyres and spare rims

Post by andyvee » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:42 pm

Correct, it doesn't use tyre pressure sensors.
BW23 Kodiaq Edition 2.0 TSi 4x4 DSG Petrol Blue with Cream Leather
DCC, ACC, Ventilated seats, Virtual pedal, Heated windscreen, washers, rear seats and leather MFSW, ACC, Ambient lighting, Park assist, Travel assist, Area view, Textile floor mats.

Return to “Wheels, Tyres, Suspension”