Steering wheel leather premature wear

Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
stryder

Steering wheel leather premature wear

Post by stryder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:03 am

Hello everyone,

Having the first annoying issue with my Kodiaq: steering wheel leather is starting to degrade. Currently having a 5 cm piece (see picture) that is worn out, and it seems it will advance to the other parts as well. I have the car since late June 2017, currently with 7000 km on board.
At home and workplace it's parked in a garage, so it was protected from sun rays.

I know that the leather wear is normal in time, but I find it unacceptable to have this issue in the first 6 months.

Anyone else experiencing this? I will schedule a service check for a potential wheel replacement under warranty.

20171231_134148.jpg.fef5244dd73ce11c6018f0526bccfe9c.jpg

2017 Kodiaq 1.4 TSI - DSG - Grey Quarz - Style+

Colin Lambert

Re: Steering wheel leather premature wear

Post by Colin Lambert » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:33 am

I have never ever had a leather wheel that looks like that. :o
You are a first!
Warranty claim.>dealer>now!
good luck!
Sportline .1.5DSG. Race Blue. S/s spare, KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

vesku

Post by vesku » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:36 am

Is this real leather?
KOdiaq 2.0 Tsi DSG AWD Panroof and almost all extra (Finnish Exclusive model)

stryder

Post by stryder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:59 pm

yes, it's real leather.

The dealer scheduled me this Friday morning to check out the issue.

How complex is the wheel change operation?
2017 Kodiaq 1.4 TSI - DSG - Grey Quarz - Style+

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:38 am

I assume (with no actual knowledge) that it is only a matter of electrical connections and of course the physical bit of removing the nut,
assuming the new wheel comes complete with air bag.
I must admit that although I have had plenty of non airbag steering wheel off myself I have never need to remove a 'bagged' wheel, luckily!
Sportline .1.5DSG. Race Blue. S/s spare, KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Lord Muck

Post by Lord Muck » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:27 pm

You could try some leather cream on it...

Funnily enough I’ve had a Steering wheel leather issue but sadly mine is man made. My lovely wife keeps scratching the leather with one of her rings. Luckily it cannot be see and its underneath but you can feel the scratch when turning it. I had some autoglem leather cream and it’s really helped. Also had a discussion with the wife about it... this didn’t help! :oops:
1.4TSI Kodiaq SE 4x4 7 seats manual.. build week 23 5/6/17
Extras are window blinds, driver mode, colour computer, reversing camera and a spare wheel.

I swear way too much, apparently the use of colourful metaphors is frowned on in polite society!

MoominPapa

Post by MoominPapa » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:54 am

It took 48hrs for my steering wheel to be replaced, but that was for a different fault. It went back in to the workshop not long after as they had not aligned the replacement steering wheel straight which was obvious as soon as I picked it up.

I use Megs Leather Balm to clean and protect. I've not had any issues with this and the beige interior.
Driving since May 2017 a 1.4TSI 2WD DSG Edition in Petrol Blue. Car finally sorted after 9 trips to workshop. Currently running on "winter boots".

MoominPapa

Post by MoominPapa » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:56 am

Lord Muck wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:27 pm

Funnily enough I’ve had a Steering wheel leather issue but sadly mine is man made. My lovely wife keeps scratching the leather with one of her rings. Luckily it cannot be see and its underneath but you can feel the scratch when turning it. I had some autoglem leather cream and it’s really helped. Also had a discussion with the wife about it... this didn’t help! :oops:
Buy her some soft leather driving gloves. Worked wonders when I had similar issues when I had an IS with a very delicate leather wheel.
Driving since May 2017 a 1.4TSI 2WD DSG Edition in Petrol Blue. Car finally sorted after 9 trips to workshop. Currently running on "winter boots".

Lord Muck

Post by Lord Muck » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:46 pm

MoominPapa wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:56 am
Lord Muck wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:27 pm

Buy her some soft leather driving gloves. Worked wonders when I had similar issues when I had an IS with a very delicate leather wheel.

I just suggested it to her and she growled at me... lol

I treated the marks a few days ago with with some Autoglem leather balm... and WOW what a difference cannot even feel the scratch...
1.4TSI Kodiaq SE 4x4 7 seats manual.. build week 23 5/6/17
Extras are window blinds, driver mode, colour computer, reversing camera and a spare wheel.

I swear way too much, apparently the use of colourful metaphors is frowned on in polite society!

phoenixfx

Post by phoenixfx » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:12 am

Is that the area where you normally rest your hand while driving? Do you normally have a ring /lotion/chemicals /abrasive particles/dirt etc.. on your hands?
2018 Skoda Kodiaq 132 TSI | Moon white metallic |Tech pack |Luxury pack