Interior and Exterior bodywork Faults and Fixes
FoxtrotAlpha

Re: Dark nights.... terrible lights

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:45 pm

Kodi1311 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:15 pm
Silverbear wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:38 am
I'd agree the single reversing light is awful on the SE and seems an economy too far to me. I have reversed with such an SE and it was so bad I had to put my hazards on to create more light AND keep getting out to see where I was reversing. On mine I have the reversing camera simply because it brings with it the second reversing lamp which I need to reverse on narrow country roads in the pitch black, something I have to do on most journeys as the roads are so narrow. I was lucky to realise this on an SE with just the one light and managed to sort in on my car before it was built. Now it is just as easy to reverse as any other car I have driven. It seems strange to me that Skoda would do this with the SE. The camera itself I find only marginally useful, it works perfectly well, lovely bright image, but I can't bring myself to look forwards while moving backwards.

I have not found the halogens on the front a problem and I drive daily at night around a busy town, on dual carriageways and lonely narrow pitch black country lanes so really the full gamut of night time driving. They are just ordinary halogens like cars have had for decades. What are the conditions you drive in? Do you find these halogens worse than halogens you have had on other cars?

Did you buy new or used and does the car have the proper bulbs installed?

Thank you for your input. I’m mainly B roads but as I’m in Scotland it’s usually raining. I just feel the beam doesn’t project far enough at a decent angle. I bought the car brand new so definitely has the standard Skoda bulbs in. I have found a couple of aftermarket bulbs but after researching the topic have found that companies such as osram who say 150% brighter bulbs are basing information on a test station. The biggest Element seems to be the standard of reflector in the light itself. If they are poor doesn’t matter how bright the bulb is, the output will be poor.
I totally understand your point about where you drive, I am also in Scotland and mainly on B roads. That’s why I love the LEDs as they are head and shoulders better than halogens on the roads I drive, if your in brightly lit cities then it’s less of an issue. I know that doesn’t help.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:07 am

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:45 pm
Kodi1311 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:15 pm
Silverbear wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:38 am
I'd agree the single reversing light is awful on the SE and seems an economy too far to me. I have reversed with such an SE and it was so bad I had to put my hazards on to create more light AND keep getting out to see where I was reversing. On mine I have the reversing camera simply because it brings with it the second reversing lamp which I need to reverse on narrow country roads in the pitch black, something I have to do on most journeys as the roads are so narrow. I was lucky to realise this on an SE with just the one light and managed to sort in on my car before it was built. Now it is just as easy to reverse as any other car I have driven. It seems strange to me that Skoda would do this with the SE. The camera itself I find only marginally useful, it works perfectly well, lovely bright image, but I can't bring myself to look forwards while moving backwards.

I have not found the halogens on the front a problem and I drive daily at night around a busy town, on dual carriageways and lonely narrow pitch black country lanes so really the full gamut of night time driving. They are just ordinary halogens like cars have had for decades. What are the conditions you drive in? Do you find these halogens worse than halogens you have had on other cars?

Did you buy new or used and does the car have the proper bulbs installed?

Thank you for your input. I’m mainly B roads but as I’m in Scotland it’s usually raining. I just feel the beam doesn’t project far enough at a decent angle. I bought the car brand new so definitely has the standard Skoda bulbs in. I have found a couple of aftermarket bulbs but after researching the topic have found that companies such as osram who say 150% brighter bulbs are basing information on a test station. The biggest Element seems to be the standard of reflector in the light itself. If they are poor doesn’t matter how bright the bulb is, the output will be poor.
I totally understand your point about where you drive, I am also in Scotland and mainly on B roads. That’s why I love the LEDs as they are head and shoulders better than halogens on the roads I drive, if your in brightly lit cities then it’s less of an issue. I know that doesn’t help.
The LED headlights were the main reason I chose the SEL over the SE. I simply couldn’t go back to candles after having bi xenons on my previous Yeti, and so glad I did, the LED’s are really impressive .
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:38 am

Agree completely !
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

C2atb

Post by C2atb » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:25 pm

I only found out mid order had halogens and couldn’t be added I was gutted
Black magic 1.4 SE ,7 seats , canton , rear view , privacy glass with tints, heko wind deflectors , ambient lighting , Amundsen , kessy , power tailgate/foot ,DCC, 22” OZ wheels , sportline style grill,montecarlo badges , ghost lights

Return to “Interior and Exterior Cosmetics”