Columbus Sat Nav Woes...

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
JustJack

Columbus Sat Nav Woes...

Post by JustJack » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:32 pm

Hello - I have an SE L with an MY17 (the one with the knobs) Columbus system.

Having some problems with the unit. It seems laggy in some ways. The user interface is super slick. However two important areas of lag are:

1. In Sat Nav - it's as if it's only updating the car's position every 10 seconds or so. As you can imagine, this causes problems just before/ just after turnings. It also sometimes says "off road" when on the motorway. I've checked the satellites - it's says it's got about 9 or 10 locked, so that isn't the problem.

2. In parking sensors - it sometimes seems to update only every 2 seconds or so - not much use when your creeping forward to go from "you're miles away" to "you and the wall are now one" on the display.

Anyone else seen this sort of behaviour? I can see a trip to the dealers in my future...

Anyone know how to do a full reset of the system? Tried holding power down for 15s when the unit was off and when the unit was on (with the ignition on), but nothing seemed to happen.

Thanks in advance

Paymaster

Re: Columbus Sat Nav Woes...

Post by Paymaster » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:50 pm

And, please excuse me butting in, how do you navigate to a Postcode?
190 DSG Edition 4x4 with ACC and other stuff in Petrol Blue

Paymaster

Post by Paymaster » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:27 am

Paymaster wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:50 pm
Bump
190 DSG Edition 4x4 with ACC and other stuff in Petrol Blue

JustJack

Post by JustJack » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:30 pm

Paymaster wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:27 am
Paymaster wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:50 pm
Bump
Sorry for the level of unhelpfulness on this - I just go to new destination and type the postcode in and it works - it's a bit odd though - it can give you several different addresses for the same postcode to choose from.

bigboss

Post by bigboss » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:57 pm

Yes, as said, go to new destination and type the post code. I've not had any issues with either the sat nav of the parking sensors, although I must admit, I mostly use Android Auto and Google maps. Have only used Columbus twice for maps. Why don't you use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay?
Kodiaq SE L, 1.4 TSI 150 PS DSG, Magnetic Brown metallic, beige leather, 19" Triglav, towbar, Heated windscreen & washer nozzles, Heated leather MFSW, Adaptive cruise control, Front & rear parking sensors, rear view camera. Škoda ID: 98705067

JustJack

Post by JustJack » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:13 pm

bigboss wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:57 pm
Yes, as said, go to new destination and type the post code. I've not had any issues with either the sat nav of the parking sensors, although I must admit, I mostly use Android Auto and Google maps. Have only used Columbus twice for maps. Why don't you use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay?
I'm an Android man myself. Yes, thanks for the suggestion, that would be a good work around for any sat nav issues. However, as you can imagine, I'm a bit miffed to have spent a lot of dosh on a new car and for any part of it to not work properly!

erniem

Post by erniem » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:02 am

I've found the basic columbus functionality great and not used Android auto except initially to play with it.
The maps seem to be fine and accurate, there should be an update sometime in the year.
If you have not got skoda connect then I guess Google maps would be advantageous to get the traffic info

Normally you can do a soft reset by pressing and holding down one of the knobs for up to ten seconds, other than that you can do a factory reset via the settings menu
Kodiaq 150 TDI SE-L 4x4 DSG
Media Command
3 year Infotainment
Rear heated seats
Lighting pack
Front and Rear sensors

JustJack

Post by JustJack » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:13 pm

Hello - Fixed!

Tried reset using power button and factory reset to no avail.

Took it to the dealers - was a bit worried - the technician said it was the first Kodiaq he'd worked on. Anyway - they did a factory reset of GPS module - apparently GPS calibration had been done incorrectly at factory - and away we go.

Slowness of parking sensors also fixed. I can only assume that the incorrect GPS position threw everything out a bit.

Drew

Post by Drew » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:58 pm

Has anyone else noticed a lag in the reversing sensors? Mine are a bit and wondering if that is just the way they are?
Kodiaq 2.0tdi 190 edition 4x4 DSG with electric tow bar, canton system, spare wheel, heated front screen, quartz grey - arriving at Arbury Leamington Spa Monday and collecting Thursday 6th April.

JustJack

Post by JustJack » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:02 pm

Drew wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:58 pm
Has anyone else noticed a lag in the reversing sensors? Mine are a bit and wondering if that is just the way they are?
I think it might just be the way they are - I've also noticed that they come on on the display, but don't make an audible warning until you're a bit closer. Must remind myself to park slooooowly!

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”