Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Apple Carplay 101

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  daveskis 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Let me know how you get on.

After a few days of the car's built in Media / phone / voice control / satnav functionality, I was really unimpressed when I got CarPlay working. The built in functionality just seemed so much slicker and I'm now having difficulty disabling the car's recognition of my phone as a CarPlay device in the car's settings. Could mean a factory reset... :(

Some minor advantages of CarPlay:

- Songs display an 'E' for explicit lyrics which is useful for cycling through inappropriate tracks while the kids are in the car. As a regular listener to Classic FM, I have absolutely no idea why I have developed a penchant for 90's Gangsta Rap and subsequent Hip Hop but it does mean skipping a significant number of tracks in my iTunes library :oops: (the very first tune I played in the Skodiaq were 'Two Miles an Hour' by Ludacris and 'Ridin Dirty' by Chamillionaire :D )

- CarPlay's handling of text messaging is very good, done entirely in voice control, including reading back received messages - but it can be done through 'Hey Siri': CarPlay just makes it a little more convenient.

- While Apple maps is a bit meh visually, the traffic info is much more granular. Could be important to some folk.

That said, the Kodiaq Edition's built in voice control is excellent all by itself and 'Hey Siri' works in a pinch for additional iPhone functionality alongside. i.e CarPlay isn't really necessary for voice control and I much prefer the Media and Satnav displays on the Skodiaq, to CarPlay.

In fact, I'm so cross with CarPlay, I'm going to put the instrumentation through a factory reset in an attempt to get the Kodiaq to forget my phone... Wish me luck,,,,

#3 ·
dalglir said:
In fact, I'm so cross with CarPlay, I'm going to put the instrumentation through a factory reset in an attempt to get the Kodiaq to forget my phone... Wish me luck,,,,
Right! I think I may have fixed this - persistent disconnection of CarPlay (because its a bit rubbish) - without factory reset.

While CarPlay is connected, you can go to the Smartlink Screen either by hittin the 'App' button on the touchscreen or by selecting the 'Skoda' app within CarPlay on the car's touchscreen and it displays a top level Smartlink screen.

From there, there is an option to 'disconnect'.

This disconnects the CarPlay device i.e. iPhone from Smartlink but, crucially, although Smartlink will continue to remember that the phone is CarPlay capable, it seems to prevent Smartlink _automatically_ re-establishing CarPlay connectivity each time you connect the phone, and allows the phone to quickly connect to Media via USB, instead.

Haven't had a chance to test this further but, honestly, just really glad CarPlay is no longer seems to be overriding my phone's USB connection to the car.

#4 ·
dalglir said:
dalglir said:
Right! I think I may have fixed this - persistent disconnection of CarPlay (because its a bit rubbish) - without factory reset.

While CarPlay is connected, you can go to the Smartlink Screen either by hittin the 'App' button on the touchscreen or by selecting the 'Skoda' app within CarPlay on the car's touchscreen and it displays a top level Smartlink screen.

From there, there is an option to 'disconnect'.

This disconnects the CarPlay device i.e. iPhone from Smartlink but, crucially, although Smartlink will continue to remember that the phone is CarPlay capable, it seems to prevent Smartlink _automatically_ re-establishing CarPlay connectivity each time you connect the phone, and allows the phone to quickly connect to Media via USB, instead.

Haven't had a chance to test this further but, honestly, just really glad CarPlay is no longer seems to be overriding my phone's USB connection to the car.
Thanks mate this will be good advice when I get my own bear........finally cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.