VCDS / VCP coding

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Colin Lambert

Re: VCDS / VCP coding

Post by Colin Lambert » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:50 am

Chris (& all Pan roof owners.)
I checked with SUK and the poor precious little things have done away with ALL rain closing Pan roofs on ALL models. So it cannot be enabled using a VCDS.
Apparently it is a 'safety' thing! Some poor ickle diddums might decapitate themselves or chop a hand off if said limb is poking out through the roof when it starts raining!!!!!
Another simply STOOPID idea from Skoda!
All they need have done was put pressure switches on the seats and then if there were any bums on seats THEN it would be disabled. You don't need auto closing if someone is in the car DUUUH!
Another simply stoopid idea they had on Yetis was that you could not fold the mirrors if you were doing more then 9.5 miles an hour. Nearly caused one up my exhaust pipe on more than one occasion.They have finally seen sense and now the max speed for mirror folding is approx 30mph.
Skoda are not as clever as they think they are!
Moderator.SE L. 1.4DSG Jungle Green, PanRoof, Front Sensors, Beige Alcantara, Triglavs.Canton system. S/saver.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
“People say doing nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day”. :lol:
Winnie The Pooh.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:53 am

Sprower wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:18 pm
Gizmo68 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:08 pm
Yes they are basically the same, but having had previous issues with DTUK I would never darken their doorstep again, I went with the RaceChip version after reading a few reviews... and I am glad I did.

Most people will just leave it on setting 3 or 4, mine lives in the little cubbyhole by the light switch.
Thanks Gizmo....have ordered one 😀
Sprower, (& Savage, for the DTUK version)
Would you do us all a favour and when you have fitted it, could you do a review of how easy it was to fit and if you consider it worth it & what setting you use.
I know Kodiaqpetrolhead has done a review. Just thought it would be interesting to see if you both agree.
Many thanks.
Moderator.SE L. 1.4DSG Jungle Green, PanRoof, Front Sensors, Beige Alcantara, Triglavs.Canton system. S/saver.
Winnie The Pooh.

Sprower

Post by Sprower » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:10 am

Colin Lambert wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:53 am
Sprower wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:18 pm
Gizmo68 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:08 pm
Yes they are basically the same, but having had previous issues with DTUK I would never darken their doorstep again, I went with the RaceChip version after reading a few reviews... and I am glad I did.

Most people will just leave it on setting 3 or 4, mine lives in the little cubbyhole by the light switch.
Thanks Gizmo....have ordered one 😀
Sprower, (& Savage, for the DTUK version)
Would you do us all a favour and when you have fitted it, could you do a review of how easy it was to fit and if you consider it worth it & what setting you use.
I know Kodiaqpetrolhead has done a review. Just thought it would be interesting to see if you both agree.
Many thanks.
I've just fitted it.......10 minutes, dead easy. Remember to release the small 'cubby' by your right knee and when that drops down you can see exactly what you're doing.

I've not had a proper chance to try it, but have just taken it for a quick spin "round the block" and can instantly tell the difference. To be honest I probably won't use it on any of the "extreme" settings.......even just on the "S" setting (1 up from normal) or "S+" (2 up from normal) it's obvious that it makes a noticeable difference in terms of eliminating the lag, so I doubt I'll really need to use the upper 2 (R / R+) settings.

Once you've set and selected it you can, if you want, remove the controller and it will stay set in your previous setting.....so if you decide to just stick with a given setting there's no need to have the controller knocking about if you don't want to......though it does tuck very nicely into the small cubby.
Edition, 2.0 TDI, 190PS, 4x4, DSG. Build Week 22. Quartz Grey, Black Triglavs, Black leather. Front & rear sensors, rear camera, heated screen, Canton, sunroof, towbar, Adaptive CC. :D

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:03 pm

Thanks very much. I have written to my dealer to ask if it's 'do-able' using VCDS. But even if it is they will probably not admit it. as they are forbidden by SUK to alter some things which CAN be altered.
Thanks for your input . Much appreciated.
Cheers,
Colin.
Winnie The Pooh.

andyvee

Post by andyvee » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:47 pm

Colin Lambert wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:50 am
Chris (& all Pan roof owners.)
I checked with SUK and the poor precious little things have done away with ALL rain closing Pan roofs on ALL models. So it cannot be enabled using a VCDS.
Apparently it is a 'safety' thing! Some poor ickle diddums might decapitate themselves or chop a hand off if said limb is poking out through the roof when it starts raining!!!!!
Another simply STOOPID idea from Skoda!
All they need have done was put pressure switches on the seats and then if there were any bums on seats THEN it would be disabled. You don't need auto closing if someone is in the car DUUUH!
Another simply stoopid idea they had on Yetis was that you could not fold the mirrors if you were doing more then 9.5 miles an hour. Nearly caused one up my exhaust pipe on more than one occasion.They have finally seen sense and now the max speed for mirror folding is approx 30mph.
Skoda are not as clever as they think they are!
Absolute rubbish ref the rain closing - rain closing only works when the car is turned off and locked.

I don't have a pano roof in mine so won't be able to check, but the setting is on the BCM anyway, so I can check if the setting still exists.

Has anyone enabled rain closing for the windows yet - do we know if the version of the rain sensor fitted supports it?
Kodiaq Edition 2.0 TSi 4x4 DSG Velvet Red with Cream Leather
DCC, ACC, Ventilated seats, Virtual pedal, Heated windscreen, washers, rear seats and leather MFSW, ACC, Ambient lighting, Park assist, Travel assist, Area view, TJA.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:21 am

Andy,
Why do you say it is absolute rubbish? Are you saying Skoda are lying to me?? Presumably the dealer is lying as well?

I agree with you that their decision is rubbish, but the information and the fact is NOT !

I have just gone to the car and tested it with the windows and roof open and the car locked. IT DOES NOT SHUT EITHER ROOF NOR WINDOWS WITH COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF WATER POURED ON THE SENSOR!
If you don't have a pan roof on your Kodiaq I am not sure why you are being so dogmatic?
My 14 reg Yeti SE L, would shut everything if it started raining locked or not.
Kodiaq windows (but NOT pan roof) can be opened or closed using prolonged press on key fob either lock or unlock.
I repeat Skoda AND dealer have said rain closing of pan roof is NOT available on any Kodiaq model currently as a safety precaution.
Some moron did in fact get their head caught in it as it closed. A good candidate for the Darwin Awards!
She was not sure about other Skoda models as the 'Brand tech department's were not available. Skoda Customer Services note answer the phone as Volkswagen C S!
Skoda U.K have confirmed these facts again this morning.
Winnie The Pooh.

andyvee

Post by andyvee » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:09 pm

What Skoda are telling you is a load of rubbish.

Rain closing has not been enabled on any MQB platform car that Skoda have manufactured as far as I am aware.

The Yeti is the old platform based on the Golf V/VI/VII. A lot of these did leave the factory with Rain Closing enabled.

So, back to the MQB platform, if the correct rain sensor variant is fitted then rain closing can be enabled. This will close the windows if it starts raining and the vehicle is locked. There is a separate setting on an adaptation channel in the BCM that controls if the sunroof closes or not as part of the rain closing. There is also another setting that sets if the sunroof slides, tilts or does nothing on a long press of open on the remote.

To make matters even more complicated, some revisions of the BCM do not have these adaptation channels. Some have these channels, but enabling them does nothing, the sunroof is not opened or closed on long press or rain closing.

The Q7 I have at the moment does not have rain closing, but the sunroof does shut on long press close. The sunroof doesn't open or tilt on long press open. This is a 3 month old car.

The Octavia 3 I had tilted the sunroof on long press open and closed it on long press close. The rain sensor fitted to the MY15.5 Octavia did not support rain closing.

So Skoda telling you it was a conscious decision because someone got their head trapped is absolute rubbish. The sunroofs have, the same as the windows do, a safety mechanism that causes them to open fully if they sense an obstruction whilst closing.

Hope that helps, when I get my Kodiaq I will test if rain closing can be enabled, and also if the adaptation channels are present to set the sunroof to close.
DCC, ACC, Ventilated seats, Virtual pedal, Heated windscreen, washers, rear seats and leather MFSW, ACC, Ambient lighting, Park assist, Travel assist, Area view, TJA.

Sprower

Post by Sprower » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:15 pm

andyvee wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:09 pm

Rain closing has not been enabled on any MQB platform car that Skoda have manufactured as far as I am aware.

The Yeti is the old platform based on the Golf V/VI/VII. A lot of these did leave the factory with Rain Closing enabled.

So, back to the MQB platform, if the correct rain sensor variant is fitted then rain closing can be enabled. This will close the windows if it starts raining and the vehicle is locked. There is a separate setting on an adaptation channel in the BCM that controls if the sunroof closes or not as part of the rain closing. There is also another setting that sets if the sunroof slides, tilts or does nothing on a long press of open on the remote.

To make matters even more complicated, some revisions of the BCM do not have these adaptation channels. Some have these channels, but enabling them does nothing, the sunroof is not opened or closed on long press or rain closing.

The Q7 I have at the moment does not have rain closing, but the sunroof does shut on long press close. The sunroof doesn't open or tilt on long press open. This is a 3 month old car.

The Octavia 3 I had tilted the sunroof on long press open and closed it on long press close. The rain sensor fitted to the MY15.5 Octavia did not support rain closing.

So Skoda telling you it was a conscious decision because someone got their head trapped is absolute rubbish. The sunroofs have, the same as the windows do, a safety mechanism that causes them to open fully if they sense an obstruction whilst closing.

Hope that helps, when I get my Kodiaq I will test if rain closing can be enabled, and also if the adaptation channels are present to set the sunroof to close.
I've just checked mine which is a Build Week 22 vehicle with pano roof. I can confirm that the sunroof does close when holding (long press) the lock button.

Once someone can assess whether this can be coded for closing in the rain I'd definitely be keen to have mine updated with that option.
Edition, 2.0 TDI, 190PS, 4x4, DSG. Build Week 22. Quartz Grey, Black Triglavs, Black leather. Front & rear sensors, rear camera, heated screen, Canton, sunroof, towbar, Adaptive CC. :D

andyvee

Post by andyvee » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:06 pm

Sprower wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:15 pm
andyvee wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:09 pm

I've just checked mine which is a Build Week 22 vehicle with pano roof. I can confirm that the sunroof does close when holding (long press) the lock button.

Once someone can assess whether this can be coded for closing in the rain I'd definitely be keen to have mine updated with that option.
As soon as I get mine I will take a look at the rain sensor, and if the adaptation channels are present on the MIB unit and BCM.

I intend to do a thread on here similar to my one on Briskoda for the Octavia 3 with lots of tweaks :)

Try this for me please - open the sunroof (not tilt) and then close it but try and stop it closing with your hand and see if it opens again or chops your fingers off (only joking, obviously get your hand out of the way if it shows no sign of stopping closing).

If you do a long press open do your windows and sunroof open? Does the sunroof tilt or slide?

Sprower

Post by Sprower » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:43 pm

Hi Andy,

Long press (unlock button) - Driver's window lowers and car unlocks. No other movement of any other windows or the pano roof.

Closing the sunroof with an obstruction (hand) - sunroof immediately stops closing (with relatively little pressure) and immediately reverses back to its previous fully open position. I tried this twice.

Long press (lock button) - window closed, and the pano roof started closing.......but only up to the place where the "obstruction" had been (even though obstruction is now removed). It stops at that point. I tried long-pressing again, but the roof wouldn't close any further. The only way I could close roof was by unlocking the car, starting ignition, and using the roof switch.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”