VCDS / VCP coding

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
andyvee

Re: VCDS / VCP coding

Post by andyvee » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:07 pm

LordBiscuits wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:02 pm
Quick query, is it possible to code ACC & is a different stalk needed?

Are there any issues doing this in a lease car?
A non-starter I am afraid.

More than just a different stalk is needed and a bit of coding.
REJECTED BW23 Kodiaq Edition 2.0 TSi 4x4 DSG Petrol Blue with Cream Leather
DCC, ACC, Ventilated seats, Virtual pedal, Heated windscreen, washers, rear seats and leather MFSW, ACC, Ambient lighting, Park assist, Travel assist, Area view, Textile mats.

Sprower

Post by Sprower » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:34 pm

LordBiscuits wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:02 pm
Quick query, is it possible to code ACC & is a different stalk needed?

Are there any issues doing this in a lease car?
A different stalk is needed for ACC so I doubt it can be achieved simply via coding.
Edition, 2.0 TDI, 190PS, 4x4, DSG. Build Week 22. Quartz Grey, Black Triglavs, Black leather. Front & rear sensors, rear camera, heated screen, Canton, sunroof, towbar, Adaptive CC. :D

Dr4004

Post by Dr4004 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:32 pm

Hi ! First message in the forum ... Hello everybody ! Anyone with a VCP in France and preferably in the vicinity of Aix (Provence) to help a French happy K owner ?
If not, will a simple obd do the job ?

Thx in advance for help !

Gizmo68

Post by Gizmo68 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:07 am

Dr4004 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:32 pm
Hi ! First message in the forum ... Hello everybody ! Anyone with a VCP in France and preferably in the vicinity of Aix (Provence) to help a French happy K owner ?
If not, will a simple obd do the job ?

Thx in advance for help !
Welcome

It depends on what you want doing whether a cheap version will do it.
VCDS & VCP - PM me if you want coding done

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:13 pm

Gizmo,
Thanks for your write up on the box.
I would like to get rid of the throttle lag, but it certainly isn't bad enough IMHO to warrant nearly £300 on solving it.
Is there a much cheaper alternative?
What is the control box for? Why does one need so many options.
All I want is maximum reaction/minimal lag.
Moderator.SE L. 1.4DSG Jungle Green, PanRoof, Front Sensors, Beige Alcantara, Triglavs.Canton system. S/saver.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
“People say doing nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day”. :lol:
Winnie The Pooh.

Gizmo68

Post by Gizmo68 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:23 pm

Colin the box for the throttle (RaceChip XLR) is ‘only’ £189
https://www.racechip.co.uk/throttle-tuning/xlr.html

Unfortunately thats about as cheap as they come, they have so many setting so you can personalise them to your own taste, from eco (loads of lag) to full out and out track mode (on / off switch :lol: ) mine normally stays on No. 3 or 4, this just removes the lag without making the pedal super sensitive.

That said it is the best £189 I have spent on the car as IMO the lag really spoils the car

Sprower

Post by Sprower » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:23 pm

Gizmo68 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:23 pm
Colin the box for the throttle (RaceChip XLR) is ‘only’ £189
https://www.racechip.co.uk/throttle-tuning/xlr.html

Unfortunately thats about as cheap as they come, they have so many setting so you can personalise them to your own taste, from eco (loads of lag) to full out and out track mode (on / off switch :lol: ) mine normally stays on No. 3 or 4, this just removes the lag without making the pedal super sensitive.

That said it is the best £189 I have spent on the car as IMO the lag really spoils the car
I've never chipped or adjusted a car previously so am somewhat cautious in this respect, but very tempted by the throttle option due to the lag.

I presume the racechip XLR and the DTUK equivalent https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/bo ... .php?id=27 are essentially the same, but would welcome any comments as to any strengths / weaknesses. I would be looking to find a single setting that works for me, and leave it there, so wouldn't need ready access to the controller.
Edition, 2.0 TDI, 190PS, 4x4, DSG. Build Week 22. Quartz Grey, Black Triglavs, Black leather. Front & rear sensors, rear camera, heated screen, Canton, sunroof, towbar, Adaptive CC. :D

Gizmo68

Post by Gizmo68 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:08 pm

Yes they are basically the same, but having had previous issues with DTUK I would never darken their doorstep again, I went with the RaceChip version after reading a few reviews... and I am glad I did.

Most people will just leave it on setting 3 or 4, mine lives in the little cubbyhole by the light switch.

Sprower

Post by Sprower » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Gizmo68 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:08 pm
Yes they are basically the same, but having had previous issues with DTUK I would never darken their doorstep again, I went with the RaceChip version after reading a few reviews... and I am glad I did.

Most people will just leave it on setting 3 or 4, mine lives in the little cubbyhole by the light switch.
Thanks Gizmo....have ordered one 😀

chris320

Post by chris320 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:59 pm

Gizmo68 wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 7:16 pm
What is VCDS?
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/

VCP (Vag Can Pro) https://www.vagtech.eu
This is similar to VCDS but it can do a few other things as well (but it is nowhere near as user friendly)

Basically they are a diagnostic tool (pretty much like your dealer will use) that can also be used for coding things to work on the car, these things are usually built into the car at the factory, but many are not turned on, some things like TSR are a cost option (£85) but providing the car has the camera above the interior mirror can be coded to work.

As well as the comfort rain closing for the sunroof here are just some of the things that can be done:

Enabling refuel quantity in the maxidot

Enable DRL menu in the infotainment (so you can turn them on and off)

Enabling fan (blower) speed display in AUTO mode (as std when the heater is set to AUTO the fan speed LEDs are blank)

Enabling Traffic Sign Recognition on models with Lane Assist

Turn on Rear DRLs (with front DRL and ‘eyelashes’ if required)

Heated seat level memory - Lets the car remember the last used heated seat level (currently it only remembers for 10 mins)

Changing the upper speed threshold for cornering fogsPermanently Disable Start-Stop

Driving mode display on maxidot

Disable tailgate beep

Automatically change clock to summertime

Activating High beam assist (not tried with LED headlights yet)

Activating alarm chirps locking/unlocking (and lets you turn them on and off via the infotainment screen - Does not work on the Kodiaq.

This list is not exhaustive, there are also a few things some will see as pointless.... we are all different so please resect that.

How do I go about getting VCDS / VCP changes done?

You can either buy your own interface (they are not cheap at between £225 - £600 though) or you can find someone local to you who already had it.

A few places to find owners are here:

Hi Gizmo

Have you been able to get rain closing to work? I know may people have been trying this without success on the latest MQB vehicles

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”