Columbus System - Putting my Library on SD Cards

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Savage

Re: Columbus System - Putting my Library on SD Cards

Post by Savage » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:36 pm

Personally I wouldn't pay for Canton.
The actual Sub does very little in mine, more bass comes from the actual speakers.
I certainly could find a better option or use for the cost ;)
Superb 280 4x4 Sportline in Black Magic.

MoominPapa

Post by MoominPapa » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:20 pm

I wouldn't pay for the Canton upgrade having lived with it for almost 2 months. Pales in comparison to other systems I have had, most recently the stock first gen Jaguar Premium Luxury XF system. My gripe with the Canton system is that it colours the audio and is far too bright. The subwoofer does very little and is muddy.
Driving since May 2017 a 1.4TSI 2WD DSG Edition in Petrol Blue. Car finally sorted after 9 trips to workshop. Currently running on "winter boots".

steve1k

Post by steve1k » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:11 pm

MoominPapa wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:20 pm
I wouldn't pay for the Canton upgrade having lived with it for almost 2 months. Pales in comparison to other systems I have had, most recently the stock first gen Jaguar Premium Luxury XF system. My gripe with the Canton system is that it colours the audio and is far too bright. The subwoofer does very little and is muddy.
I think your right i found the same in my Octavia with the canton, the speech is a pain in the butt when the music has finished am constantly turning the volume up to hear the announcement then down when the music starts. Also the bass is rubbish in mine too I got it turned up to max and it still does very little.
My wife has just the normal sound system in her Fabia and that sounds a lot better 👍🏻.
I think it was a waste of money having it fitted so when I order my kodiaq shan't bother can spend the money on better things.
I'm going to lease one this time anyway 👍🏻
2.0 TSI Edition 4x4 DSG 7 seat
Moon White, 3 zone climate control, Front & Rear parking sensors, Leather seats black, Adaptive cruise control, Canton sound system, Heated front rear seats, LED interior light, Mythos black dash inserts,

iwarv

Post by iwarv » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:40 am

Ellebees wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:35 am
Now that hat I have my bear can update. Put my music library, 350 cds on a 128 GB Toshiba SD card. Saved everything in flac format and used up about 103 GB. Works perfectly but think that I didn't save some properly as some cds have no song titles. Album artwork is also on screen.
Takes a bit of getting used to to access what you want to listen to but it is great to have the selection.
Hi, new member here. Picking up my Kodiaq this Friday 11 Aug. It's been a long wait. Got some questions though that I hope some of you may be able to help with. The cited post and other posts pretty much answer these questions, but still some doubt remains...

We went to see the dealer last Sat to prep for handover and their tech guy explained the car's connect service and infotainment system to us.
He told me and the wife that the SD card slots in the glove compartment are for SatNav maps and service functionality only. Any music we want to play through the onboard system we should either play through a paired phone, be it BlueTooth or USB wired or we could insert a USB flash drive somewhere.

Q: Ours is an SE-L. Can I presume that unless we spec-ed otherwise (we didn't) our Kodiaq will have the Columbus system?
Q: Are there other SD card slots on this [Columbus] system that are not in the glove compartment? And I mean; one for the music collection.
Q: If we have to go the USB flash drive route, where is the slot? I cannot remember spotting one.

Any help greatly appreciated
SE-L 1.4 150bhp DSG 4x4, 7 Seats, Quartz Grey, Front Sensors, Front DashCam

Ellebees

Post by Ellebees » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:32 pm

iwarv

If you have the Columbus system you will have a box in the glove compartment with two SD card slots. I believe that if you are also post week 22 build then you will also get a SIM card slot.

I loaded my whole library on and put it into the slot. On the screen you select "media" and then "source". You will have the options of Bluetooth, SD1, SD2 as well as USB. Hence don't think that your dealerships knows what they are talking about. The Columbus system has 64GB of inbuilt storage which I believe will be used for map updates etc. There is no other SD slot in the car. The USB slot is in the central console where the cigarette lighter and phone pocket is. I think that on some European models there is also a USB slot in the rear but not sure if that is just to power phones / tablets or actually connected to the infotainment as well.

Pretty sure that the SEL comes with Sat Nav included and you won't need to use your phone. Of course you can but what's the point?
Last edited by Ellebees on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edition 2.0 TDI 150PS DSG in Petrol Blue / Beige Leather with Rear View Camera, Ambient Lighting & Heated Front/Rear seats. 8-)

Got car 26th June. :P A Happy Bunny

romanv

Post by romanv » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:38 pm

Regarding Canton:

I've connected my iPhone with Bluetooth, swtiched to Media screen and started playing Iko Iko by Captain Jack on Canton (via Apple Music). Just WOOOOOW!!!! Subs are great!!! It has to be the right music.

Ellebees

Post by Ellebees » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:03 pm

Whilst not perfect the standard system is pretty decent. The extra for Canton is not really worth it imho. You cannot get a real audiophile experience in any car due to external sound / vibration factors. By playing with the sound settings you can trial probably find a sound or more than one that suits your taste in music / spoken word.

Don't forget to play with the fader positioning. I have it set up for good loud sound when I am alone in the car and reset when carrying others to be a bit more sedate.
Edition 2.0 TDI 150PS DSG in Petrol Blue / Beige Leather with Rear View Camera, Ambient Lighting & Heated Front/Rear seats. 8-)

Got car 26th June. :P A Happy Bunny

stevec

Post by stevec » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:00 pm

Hi, has anyone managed to successfully use a 200GB SC card in their Kodiaq?
1.4 TSi 150 BHP DSG SEL Kodiaq
Black on black

BearNecessity

Post by BearNecessity » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:27 pm

I can confirm that a 128GB SD Card works in my Columbus system in my MY18 Edition.

I used this one from MyMemory:
https://www.mymemory.co.uk/samsung-128g ... 0mb-s.html

I just had high bit-rate MP3 music already available and that worked fine. I am also looking to rip some of my existing collection in FLAC but haven't had an opportunity to do so and test it yet.
2.0 DSG TSi Edition 7 seat in Quartz Grey, Panoramic Roof, ACC, Heated Screen/Rear Seats, Folding Towbar, Park/Trailer/Travel Assist, 360 Camera, Crew & Child Packs, Virtual Pedal, Ambient Lighting, Tri-zone climate, Road Sign Recognition

stevec

Post by stevec » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks! Good to know which actual cards work too!
1.4 TSi 150 BHP DSG SEL Kodiaq
Black on black

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”