Columbus System - Putting my Library on SD Cards

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
legacy2

Re: Columbus System - Putting my Library on SD Cards

Post by legacy2 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:51 am

Does any body know the size of the hard drive in the Columbus infotainment centre I believe you can down load music from a usb straight into the hard drive this will free up a usb socket if possible The reason I ask is that my Bear is being built as we speek and although I downloaded the handbook I can find no sign of the size of the hard drive under the revelant pages
Regards Legacy2

romanv

Post by romanv » Wed May 17, 2017 9:09 am

64 gb.

Ellebees

Post by Ellebees » Mon May 22, 2017 2:36 pm

erniem wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 5:05 pm
There is a limit in the number of files that the columbus can handle from a card, rather than there being a card size issue.

Got an error when it was sorting through a 128gb USB drive indicating as such
Thanks for that info. Any Idea on the File number limit?

I guess that the conversion to FLAC files means that I can fit a lot less files on the SD card so may be okay. could get at least 3 times more MP3 files onto it.

I am currently up to about 70GB with about 80% of my CDs converted. Should therefore be able to fit the lot on a 128GB SD card, leaving the Columbus alone for other stuff. However If I am better to split into 2 x 64GB cards I would rather to do that up front. Price wise, not a lot in it. Often 2 x 64GB are cheaper than 1 x 128GB.
Edition 2.0 TDI 150PS DSG in Petrol Blue / Beige Leather with Rear View Camera, Ambient Lighting & Heated Front/Rear seats. 8-)

Got car 26th June. :P A Happy Bunny

erniem

Post by erniem » Mon May 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Ellebees wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks for that info. Any Idea on the File number limit?

I guess that the conversion to FLAC files means that I can fit a lot less files on the SD card so may be okay. could get at least 3 times more MP3 files onto it.

I am currently up to about 70GB with about 80% of my CDs converted. Should therefore be able to fit the lot on a 128GB SD card, leaving the Columbus alone for other stuff. However If I am better to split into 2 x 64GB cards I would rather to do that up front. Price wise, not a lot in it. Often 2 x 64GB are cheaper than 1 x 128GB.
I split my library across 2x64gb as I couldn't be bothered to find what the limit was
Kodiaq 150 TDI SE-L 4x4 DSG
Media Command
3 year Infotainment
Rear heated seats
Lighting pack
Front and Rear sensors

Sprower

Post by Sprower » Mon May 22, 2017 6:54 pm

I've nearly filled a 64GB SD card using MediaMonkey to convert to FLAC format (compression level 4) and it'll be about 150 individual CDs in total.
Edition, 2.0 TDI, 190PS, 4x4, DSG. Build Week 22. Quartz Grey, Black Triglavs, Black leather. Front & rear sensors, rear camera, heated screen, Canton, sunroof, towbar, Adaptive CC. :D

Ellebees

Post by Ellebees » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:35 am

Now that hat I have my bear can update. Put my music library, 350 cds on a 128 GB Toshiba SD card. Saved everything in flac format and used up about 103 GB. Works perfectly but think that I didn't save some properly as some cds have no song titles. Album artwork is also on screen.
Takes a bit of getting used to to access what you want to listen to but it is great to have the selection.
Edition 2.0 TDI 150PS DSG in Petrol Blue / Beige Leather with Rear View Camera, Ambient Lighting & Heated Front/Rear seats. 8-)

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:02 am

Ellebees wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:35 am
Now that hat I have my bear can update. Put my music library, 350 cds on a 128 GB Toshiba SD card. Saved everything in flac format and used up about 103 GB. Works perfectly but think that I didn't save some properly as some cds have no song titles. Album artwork is also on screen.
Takes a bit of getting used to to access what you want to listen to but it is great to have the selection.
Good to know. I have all mine recorded as FLAC files but will probably convert to MP4 for the car, no benefit for FLAC in that environment and saves space.

One stupid question, can you see all the files as the manual states:

"In the list, the first 1000 entries (titles, directories etc.) are displayed with the oldest creation date."

I have more than 1,000 tracks so I won't see them all but I am guessing to can see all the album's and artists (assuming there's less that 1,000 and you can sort by album and artist - my vRS doesn't have the Columbus system so not familiar with the system setup).
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Edition - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey - Canton
Sportline on order with Virtual Cockpit.

Ellebees

Post by Ellebees » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:04 pm

You can get various views. By artist, album, music genre etc. As these can end up a bit disjointed when you have collaborations on albums I wasn't too happy. Genre is all also all over the place but that's due to the CD ripping not the bear.
I have chosen to view as file folders, as saved. It's in alphabetical order by folder. I may resort on the card to make it easier as with over 80 artists, the time to scroll down is annoying. You can also open any folder and do a random shuffle which is great.
I had read that it can only read so many files, hence kept as flac files. That was less files on the card. Still have expansion room with the other SD slot.

steve1k

Post by steve1k » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:54 am

Can anyone tell me how the system sounds Columbus with the canton system.
At the moment I have the canton speaker system in my Octavia but only with the Amuntsun. I find the sound lacking in bass even when the bass is turned up high in the settings, not impressed with the sound at all my be the canton not designed to go with the Amuntsun sysem.
I don't want to waste money on having the canton fitted if it's going to sound rubbish.

Any recommendations welcome 👍🏻
2.0 TSI Edition 4x4 DSG 7 seat
Moon White, 3 zone climate control, Front & Rear parking sensors, Leather seats black, Adaptive cruise control, Canton sound system, Heated front rear seats, LED interior light, Mythos black dash inserts,

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:35 am

I wound the bass right up on the Canton yesterday with Abba playing (very bassy) and it actually hurt my ears! Not huge volume just max bass. Is that enough for you? :lol:
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”