Columbus System - Putting my Library on SD Cards

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
ilpolase

Re: Columbus System - Putting my Library on SD Cards

Post by ilpolase » Tue May 02, 2017 5:14 pm

I'm running a 256GB SD card in my Amundsen system and it works fine. The best format is a looseless format (for exampleFLAC) for sure. MP3 at 320 is in my opinion the best solution. While driving the car you cannot detect any difference between high res MP3 and flac both with standard and Canton system
Kodiaq 2.0 D 2wd Style (something between SE L and Edition compared with UK market) plus some extras

bigboss

Post by bigboss » Tue May 02, 2017 6:25 pm

The Columbus (as well as Amunsden) system should play FLAC.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/3 ... o-formats/
Kodiaq SE L, 1.4 TSI 150 PS DSG, Magnetic Brown metallic, beige leather, 19" Triglav, towbar, Heated windscreen & washer nozzles, Heated leather MFSW, Adaptive cruise control, Front & rear parking sensors, rear view camera. Škoda ID: 98705067

Ellebees

Post by Ellebees » Wed May 03, 2017 8:14 am

Thanks for the advice. Will start converting my CD's to FLAC files in preparation.

Takes up more memory (about 3-4 times more from what I have tried) but quality should be much better.
Edition 2.0 TDI 150PS DSG in Petrol Blue / Beige Leather with Rear View Camera, Ambient Lighting & Heated Front/Rear seats. 8-)

Got car 26th June. :P A Happy Bunny

Sprower

Post by Sprower » Sun May 07, 2017 11:41 am

I've started doing the same......got myself a 64GB SanDisk card, and am starting to convert loads of my old CDs to FLAC (using Media Monkey), ready for my Columbus system.

Before I spend hours on a wasted effort, I'd really appreciate if others could confirm that this format is / isn't working on Columbus systems.
Edition, 2.0 TDI, 190PS, 4x4, DSG. Build Week 22. Quartz Grey, Black Triglavs, Black leather. Front & rear sensors, rear camera, heated screen, Canton, sunroof, towbar, Adaptive CC. :D

$k0d1ak

Post by $k0d1ak » Sun May 07, 2017 11:23 pm

Sprower wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 11:41 am
I've started doing the same......got myself a 64GB SanDisk card, and am starting to convert loads of my old CDs to FLAC (using Media Monkey), ready for my Columbus system.

Before I spend hours on a wasted effort, I'd really appreciate if others could confirm that this format is / isn't working on Columbus systems.
I'm so geeky about this I'd go to the dealer to try it on a test model :)
Please let us know - I'm preparing to start ripping my stuff too.
2.0TDI 150bhp DSG, Style trim
Candy White
7 seats, Sunroof, Towbar, Canton, ACC, Lane Assist
Ordered 2017-04-08 in Ireland

Hugh Fanism

Post by Hugh Fanism » Mon May 08, 2017 12:20 pm

ilpolase wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 5:14 pm
I'm running a 256GB SD card in my Amundsen system and it works fine. The best format is a looseless format (for exampleFLAC) for sure. MP3 at 320 is in my opinion the best solution. While driving the car you cannot detect any difference between high res MP3 and flac both with standard and Canton system
I think you're probably right about it being hard to notice a difference in the quality between them in the car. The only thing worth pointing out though, is that MP3 files degrade and jump over time and when you copy them over. FLAC files don't.
1.4 DSG SE L, council blue, acc.
"Johnny ain't so crazy, he's always got a line for the ladies"

$k0d1ak

Post by $k0d1ak » Mon May 08, 2017 5:21 pm

Hugh Fanism wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 12:20 pm
ilpolase wrote:
I think you're probably right about it being hard to notice a difference in the quality between them in the car. The only thing worth pointing out though, is that MP3 files degrade and jump over time and when you copy them over. FLAC files don't.
Mp3 files degrade and jump? Can you explain, I thought digital music doesn't degrade unless it's a CD or something where the media becomes scratched.
2.0TDI 150bhp DSG, Style trim
Candy White
7 seats, Sunroof, Towbar, Canton, ACC, Lane Assist
Ordered 2017-04-08 in Ireland

Hugh Fanism

Post by Hugh Fanism » Tue May 09, 2017 5:10 am

$k0d1ak wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 5:21 pm
Hugh Fanism wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 12:20 pm
ilpolase wrote:
Mp3 files degrade and jump? Can you explain, I thought digital music doesn't degrade unless it's a CD or something where the media becomes scratched.
I used to think the same thing until I started getting issues. Some songs refusing to play, some jumping, and some small bits of songs just plain disappearing. This is on files 10+ years old. I read up on it and it seems there's a degradation issue if you believe them that seem to know what they're talking about. Many scoff at the idea and are of the belief that their music files are bullet proof.

Having had issues I'm inclined to believe that there are degradation issues and as I've got no wish to upload all my CD's again I redone them as FLAC. No problems many years on and difference in quality is notable with decent headphones.

Read up on it and make your own mind up
1.4 DSG SE L, council blue, acc.
"Johnny ain't so crazy, he's always got a line for the ladies"

Zach

Post by Zach » Tue May 09, 2017 5:47 am

Is there really a point using FLAC in a car with all the road noise? I find that I can't hear a tangible difference between a high-quality 320kbps MP3 and a FLAC. I can definitely hear the difference between 192kbps, 256kbps and 320kbps however. Hugh - copying MP3 files through Windows Explorer etc. does not degrade the quality but when exporting lossy files with a program such as Audacity or Adobe Audition it will. Regarding "Some songs refusing to play, some jumping, and some small bits of songs just plain disappearing" it sounds like data degradation (ie. if stored on a hard drive it can lose magnetic orientation of the bits) which has happened to me before.
BW32 2017 Kodiaq 190TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey + Sirius rims, 5yr Warranty, Sunroof, Sleep Pack, Rear Heated Seats, Driver Profiles
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

erniem

Post by erniem » Mon May 15, 2017 5:05 pm

There is a limit in the number of files that the columbus can handle from a card, rather than there being a card size issue.

Got an error when it was sorting through a 128gb USB drive indicating as such
Kodiaq 150 TDI SE-L 4x4 DSG
Media Command
3 year Infotainment
Rear heated seats
Lighting pack
Front and Rear sensors

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”