Columbus System - Putting my Library on SD Cards

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Ellebees

Columbus System - Putting my Library on SD Cards

Post by Ellebees » Tue May 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Hopefully someone can advise and this is the right place to ask.

Looking to put my fairly large CD Library on SD cards to plug into the 2 SD Card slots. I want to put into the best format for quality rather than going to put as much as possible on the card(s). Plan to do this before the car arrives in July so looking to get ahead and start the process soon.

Can anyone advise the best format to use and a data rate I should select for optimum quality? I know that most will just opt for MP3 but wanted to check if other formats are supported and whether there is any benefit of using them.

Also, can the readers take 128GB SD cards? Some slots on other devices seem to be limited to only reading 32 or 64 GB.

Last question, I read somewhere on the forum that the Columbus system offers the option of ripping a disc when you insert it. That will then get saved onto the limited memory. Is it then possible to transfer it over to the SD cards or not? Probably want to keep the system memory as free as possible for system upgrades.

Thanks for any advice.
:)
Edition 2.0 TDI 150PS DSG in Petrol Blue / Beige Leather with Rear View Camera, Ambient Lighting & Heated Front/Rear seats. 8-)

Got car 26th June. :P A Happy Bunny

Pheebs

Re: Columbus System - Putting my Library on SD Cards

Post by Pheebs » Tue May 02, 2017 1:12 pm

I was also going to ask about this and wanted to add:
Will it shuffle the music or play in order of each file?
Edition 1.4 TSI 150 PS 4x4 Quartz Grey, Panoramic sunroof, Tri-zone, Spare wheel, Tow bar, Heated windscreen & washer nozzles, Front sensors and Heated rear seats. Ordered 30/03/17. Build week 18. Arrived 25/05. Mine 03/06 :D :D :D :D :D

OlivierW11

Post by OlivierW11 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:14 pm

FYI, i did this this weekend on a 64gb SDXC card from Sandisk... doesn't get recognized.... don't know why... tried putting the music file at root level and in folder structure... no luck... I had done the same in my previous Yeti (which had a larger HD anyway...) with no issue at all...

I'll be curious to hear what other have to say...
Next: Kodiaq Edition 1.4 TSI in Jungle Green (+pano/ambient/virtual pedal/Canton/Child pack/Heated Wheel w/ Shifters/etc.) Triglav to be repainted black soon... :roll:

Ellebees

Post by Ellebees » Tue May 02, 2017 2:12 pm

OlivierW11 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 1:14 pm
FYI, i did this this weekend on a 64gb SDXC card from Sandisk... doesn't get recognized.... don't know why... tried putting the music file at root level and in folder structure... no luck... I had done the same in my previous Yeti (which had a larger HD anyway...) with no issue at all...

I'll be curious to hear what other have to say...
Hmm,

That doesn't bode well as I was going to get a 128GB SD card from Amazon. Had no issues with Sandisk before. However found Kingston to be better. Is the card not being recognised at all or is it the files themselves? What format were your music files in?
Edition 2.0 TDI 150PS DSG in Petrol Blue / Beige Leather with Rear View Camera, Ambient Lighting & Heated Front/Rear seats. 8-)

Got car 26th June. :P A Happy Bunny

erniem

Post by erniem » Tue May 02, 2017 2:31 pm

I have a MY13 Octavia with a columbus, and did this with 64Gb cards and my PC
I have tried to work with 128Gb USB stick, but it did not read all of the directories
One of the thing to thonk of first is how to lay out your music A-Z card 1, N-Z card 2 as an example
It is possible to shuffle music within a directory or through the hold card, plus you can have playlists, bit I never really tried that.
You can also host videos onto the SD card(s) to be played when stationary.
I organised By Artist and then by Album, which worked for me
Good quality 64Gb cards should not be a problem, but the latest version of the Columbus or Amundsens may handle larger drives
Kodiaq 150 TDI SE-L 4x4 DSG
Media Command
3 year Infotainment
Rear heated seats
Lighting pack
Front and Rear sensors

romanv

Post by romanv » Tue May 02, 2017 2:53 pm

Format in exfat.

Savage

Post by Savage » Tue May 02, 2017 3:05 pm

I have my music SD card with folders of artist name, sub folder of album name, ripped from CD with Media player at 320 kbps mp3 and retrieving info from internet so it ads album art/cover.
If the unit supports it, best audio codec to rip to would be flac.

The system in the Octavia can be set to random play from all from the menu.
Superb 280 4x4 Sportline in Black Magic.

OlivierW11

Post by OlivierW11 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:49 pm

Exfat as fat32???? Sorry never heard of exfat...
Next: Kodiaq Edition 1.4 TSI in Jungle Green (+pano/ambient/virtual pedal/Canton/Child pack/Heated Wheel w/ Shifters/etc.) Triglav to be repainted black soon... :roll:

romanv

Post by romanv » Tue May 02, 2017 3:56 pm

Hugh Fanism

Post by Hugh Fanism » Tue May 02, 2017 4:04 pm

I only use FLAC and all my music is already on my laptop like that. I'm not sure I'll bother trying to put it on an SD card since I can plug a music player in or play direct from my phone via Google Music. Is there really a need?
1.4 DSG SE L, council paint, ACC, blinds for the wee one and leccy child locks so I can mess with people. Ordered 14 April and now on BW36.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”