Automatic stop/start button

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
rsk289

Automatic stop/start button

Post by rsk289 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:21 pm

Does anyone know anyone who can reverse the automatic stop/start engine button function by recoding? I've had this done on a couple of BMWs so that pressing the button enables stop/start rather than disables it. Although the Skoda dealer tells me they cannot change it for legal reasons, I don't believe it's a statutory requirement as my new Abarth 124 Spider doesn't have it at all. It's quite likely that if you have it, it has to enabled, but given that it only becomes energy-efficient once the engine has been idling for around 30 seconds I'd like to lose it for routine driving.
Thanks,
Roger
2019 Kodiak 2.0TSi, DSG, Magic Black with matching black Triglavs, panoramic sunroof (not an L&K), factory towball

Kenny R

Re: Automatic stop/start button

Post by Kenny R » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:52 pm

It amazing how quickly it can become part of the start up routine to press the button to disable the stop/start, then it’s only a matter of a quick push of the button to enable it when required.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

Zach

Post by Zach » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:52 am

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000072226997.html

You could try this
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

rsk289

Post by rsk289 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:57 am

Thanks Zach, not seen one like that before. A bit hard to tell how the 'modified stop-start treasure'(!) actually works, but I'm wary of wiring mods (which is what it seems to be), even if they are plug-in.
On the BMWs I reversed it on (M135i and 330i), a guy with a laptop simply recoded the function by plugging into the OBD port.
2019 Kodiak 2.0TSi, DSG, Magic Black with matching black Triglavs, panoramic sunroof (not an L&K), factory towball

Zach

Post by Zach » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:02 am

rsk289 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:57 am
Thanks Zach, not seen one like that before. A bit hard to tell how the 'modified stop-start treasure'(!) actually works, but I'm wary of wiring mods (which is what it seems to be), even if they are plug-in.
On the BMWs I reversed it on (M135i and 330i), a guy with a laptop simply recoded the function by plugging into the OBD port.
I assume it will detect power then just bridge the connection that would normally be pushed. You can disable it via VCDS/OBDeleven, however you cannot normally reenable it without recoding. I've seen a few workarounds (linking it to AC on/off for example) but not specifically on the Kodiaq.
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

rsk289

Post by rsk289 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:17 am

Thanks - interesting - on the BMWs, the recoding reversed the button's action. When driving in London, for example, I just pressed the button and the stop-start reactivated. The recode simply swapped the default position to off instead of on, it didn't switch the whole system off.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:46 am

Be VERY careful fiddling with ANYTHING on the car. Skoda don't need any excuse to refuse a warranty claim.
To ensure it doesn't work simply set the heater temp to a temperature well above/below the outside ambient temp.
The system is cr@p! It has a mind of it's own, doesn't save any fuel and a replacement battery for a car so equipped is well over £100. It's also a complete pain in the @rse!
As mentioned some manufacturers have given up on the idea. Good for them!
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

rsk289

Post by rsk289 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:24 pm

Don't worry, I'm not about to modify the wiring, even with plug-ins.
Interesting (again) - how does the temperature control affect the stop-start? Not seen that before, either!
I'm told the car has to be stationary for at least 30sec for the stop-start to be environmentally beneficial - but how that would be managed without a crystal ball, I don't know. Makes sense to me - my old cars use much more fuel to restart than they do idling, and I know technology has come a long way since the sixties but to some extent this must still apply. A friend who is very senior in GM Europe told me the whole idea was nonsense and was not applied in the way intended by the development engineers (i.e. cutting out the moment the vehicle is stationary). Apart from that, it really annoys me!

Zach

Post by Zach » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:39 am

Takes 7 seconds for you to start saving gas. I like the system in the Kodiaq as I can come to a stop super smooth as I don’t have the engine/dsg trying to crawl forward. Annoying in town and when the engines not warm, but I’ll just flick the switch when I need to.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:09 am

Zach wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:39 am
Takes 7 seconds for you to start saving gas. I like the system in the Kodiaq as I can come to a stop super smooth as I don’t have the engine/dsg trying to crawl forward. Annoying in town and when the engines not warm, but I’ll just flick the switch when I need to.
Zach, surely when the engine's not warm the stop/start doesn't activate? Isn't that one of the conditions for it to become operative? 🤔
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D