Understanding Skoda Connect Licenses and Having a Data SIM in the car

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
xiaokai

Understanding Skoda Connect Licenses and Having a Data SIM in the car

Post by xiaokai » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:38 am

Hi

I am trying to understand what is the point of having a Data SIM in the car?
And if it can do some of the things Skoda Connect does.
I got a SIM card, put it in the car. And I am not sure what I can do with it apart from using it as a Hotspot to connect other devices and make calls from it.

I assumed it would be able to do the things below from Skoda Connect. But I guess it does not after trying it. So What is the point of Data SIM in the car? As the car does not need to send or receive any data unless you have Skoda Connect, which it will send and receive data regardless of having a SIM or not.

Infotainment Online
  • Online Map Update
    Online Route Import
    Gracenote
    News
    Parking Spaces
    My Points of Interest
    Online POI-Search (voice)
    Online POI-Search (text)
    Online Destination Import
    Google Earth
    Petrol Stations
    Online Traffic Information
    Weather
Care Connect - Remote Access
  • Driving Data
    Vehicle Status
    Speed Notification
    Area Notification
    Online Anti-Theft Alarm
    Parking Position
    Honk & Flash
2017 Skoda Kodiaq Edition TSI 1.4 4x4 DSG 7 Seater

MrTrilby

Re: Understanding Skoda Connect Licenses and Having a Data SIM in the car

Post by MrTrilby » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:55 pm

From your list, all the Care Connect functionality is handled by the car’s built in SIM. All the Infotainment Online functionality is handled by the data SIM that you provide (or by connecting your car to your phone’s data connection).

So you only need to fit your own SIM if you are wanting to use Infotainment Online functionality, or provide an in car wireless hotspot.
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

xiaokai

Post by xiaokai » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:19 pm

If I want to use the Infotainment Online do I need to buy the licence for it for £36.67 plus have the SIM card?
So if I buy Infotainment Online but not put my own Data SIM in the car, it would not work?

Or

Will buying an Infotainment Online licence mean this service will be provided by the car’s built-in SIM? (which would be the same as buying the Care Connect licence)

MrTrilby

Post by MrTrilby » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:34 pm

You need an Infotainment licence (first year is free) *and* a data connection so that it can get the data. The only ways it can get the data is by connecting to your home Wi-fi, a hotspot from your phone, or a SIM you provide. Without a live data source, it is not much use.
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

xiaokai

Post by xiaokai » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:41 pm

MrTrilby wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:34 pm
You need an Infotainment licence (first year is free) *and* a data connection so that it can get the data. The only ways it can get the data is by connecting to your home Wi-fi, a hotspot from your phone, or a SIM you provide. Without a live data source, it is not much use.
Thank you

That clears things up.

So if you want to use Infotainment Online service, buy a licence from Skoda and buy data on your own SIM card. (or connect it to wifi)
So having a Data SIM in the car is not very useful unless you buy the Infotainment Online licence. (Unless you want to use the car as a hotspot for other users to connect to.)

And Care Connect will work regardless of you putting your Own Sim or not as long as you buy the Care Connect licence.

I wish this was clearer on their website.

SkodaVRS1963

Post by SkodaVRS1963 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:48 pm

I am very proficient in all things computer-related (I can completely dismantle a pc, be blindfolded, have all the bits mixed up and I can then rebuild it) but am a total duffer where anything to do with mobile / wireless is concerned.

I have put a 3 data only sim into my Kodiaq (200mb free every month). I have registered the sim with 3 and have downloaded the Skoda Connect App and completed the triangle (car <-> Cloud <-> me).

All seems good; occasional journeys to work show the little world symbol as red (I guess that means it's not talking to the cloud?) but by and large it seems to work.

As in, if I fire up the app it tells me all about my last journey, where my car is parked etc (big brother anyone?)

Any features I'm missing?
Kodiaq VRS 2019 build, velvet red paint, heated windscreen, heated steering wheel

threndydd

Post by threndydd » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:25 am

I find live traffic better than tmc. Sometimes send destinations from pc to car (online destinations are more comprehensive than car database)
Google earth was good but I've just been told by customer services that it has ended?
Globe should be white when connected but is unreliable, search web .

Kiltedpict

Post by Kiltedpict » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:00 pm

Apologies for resurecting this thread but I've a query about the whole Wi-Fi Hotspot thing and not found a clear or suitbale answer in the threads.... I had assumed that getting a data sim and setting up a wifi hotspot would allow the kids to connect their tablets to surf the web etc...?

I have got the sim set up (3 network which allegedly has excellent 4g service at my postcode) and connected my phone to the car's hotspot and although it does connect to the internet, it's uselessly slow.. using a speed checker i am getting 0.3 Mbps download speed.

The symbol shows the white globe with 3G...

Is this normal or is this an issue with 1) the 3 network or 2) the car?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
'19 plate, 2.0 TDi DSG 190 4x4/AWD SE L in white.

Kiltedpict

Post by Kiltedpict » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:32 am

Update: ended up having to head into town to pick up the wife and her friends to save them waiting an hour plus for a bus then an hours trip home. Gave me a chance to let the kids try their tablets and it seemed to work just fine... Not blisteringly fast but enough to keep them happy.

Interestingly though, the globe continued to show 3g, despite being a 4g card??
'19 plate, 2.0 TDi DSG 190 4x4/AWD SE L in white.

FunBundle

Post by FunBundle » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:58 pm

I too have a 3 4g sim in the car, but experiencing 3g connectivity. I had understood Kodiaq was 4g compliant. So why the 3g connectivity. It is frustrating and very annoying. What do I have to do to get the 4g connection speeds. Not with external smartphone or dongle.

Would really appreciate some thoughts on this.