Switching data connection from SIM to phone (Bluetooth)

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
SBell

Switching data connection from SIM to phone (Bluetooth)

Post by SBell » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:04 pm

Anyone have any idea how to switch the data connection from a SIM card to a phone via Bluetooth on Columbus? I originally set up the data connection with a prepaid SIM but it’s limited to 500mb per month so I wanted to switch the data connection to the phone temporarily to download a big map update. I’ve tried everything including the instructions in the manual and I can’t seem to switch the connection. I’m afraid it might require doing the configuration wizard again which would require resetting all sorts of settings. Any ideas?
Kodiaq 2.0 TSI Style, Business Grey, and pretty much every option except for panoramic roof.

MrTrilby

Re: Switching data connection from SIM to phone (Bluetooth)

Post by MrTrilby » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:17 pm

You don’t need to reset everything. Eject the SIM. Enable the hotspot on your phone. Use the WLAN menu (I think) to connect to the Wi-fi hotspot on your phone.

Once you’re done, put the SIM back in.
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

SBell

Post by SBell » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:32 am

Thanks. I hadn’t tried WiFi from the phone since I was focusing on Bluetooth. I’ll give it a try.
Kodiaq 2.0 TSI Style, Business Grey, and pretty much every option except for panoramic roof.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:32 pm

SBell wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:32 am
Thanks. I hadn’t tried WiFi from the phone since I was focusing on Bluetooth. I’ll give it a try.
You can also use the phone data via Bluetooth if it’s connected as a business phone using rSAP assuming your phone supports this function.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Edition - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey - Canton
Ordered 3rd April - Build Week 26 - Collected 17 August

bother

Post by bother » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:20 pm

SBell wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:32 am
You need either Bluetooth (for phone) and WiFi (for data) or Bluetooth rSAP for both.

The downside I found with rSAP was that the car takes over the SIM in your you phone so the phone itself is cut off and has no cellular/data connection (I.e. apps on your phone wonto receive any messages whilst the car has control of the SIM).

You might argue not an issue as you shouldn't be fiddling with your phone while driving...

I use Android Auto almost all the time, especially now my Skoda Connect subscription has lapsed and I don't get any live traffic data
Edition 1.4DSG, Front Sensors, Spacesaver

MrTrilby

Post by MrTrilby » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:05 pm

You can get around your phone losing data when using RSAP by enabling the car’s WiFi hotspot, and then connecting your phone to the car WiFi hotspot.
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

bother

Post by bother » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:15 pm

MrTrilby wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:05 pm
You can get around your phone losing data when using RSAP by enabling the car’s WiFi hotspot, and then connecting your phone to the car WiFi hotspot.
Why would you do that?

You'd only have rSAP enabled to use your (phone) SIM's data connection.

If your car's WiFI hotspot is providing a data connection then it must have it's own data connection (e.g. dedicated SIM) and you don't need rSAP.

Otherwise, what you're suggesting is a very circular way of achieving not a lot.

Would it be simply to enable your phone's hotspot to provide a data connection for the car and allow it to connect via Bluetooth just using the headset/media profiles for phone/media control (if needed).

Another issue I had with rSAP was the phone wanting a SIM PIN entered everytime it got control back after rSAP finished, along with a text from Vodafone telling me I'd put my SIM in a new device and I might need to set some things up again 😕. All a bit of a faff.

MrTrilby

Post by MrTrilby » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:28 pm

You’d do it if you want your phone to continue to have an Internet connection whilst driving, say if you were using Android Auto for navigation.

You’re not quite right in the way that RSAP works. The car doesn’t have a dedicated SIM. That’s the point of RSAP. it essentially shares your phone’s SIM card, and only the SIM card, so the car can use it. You’re effectively plugging your phone’s SIM card into the car’s slot, only wirelessly. So the car’s built in phone can then connect to the mobile network using the car’s more powerful antenna, so you get a better connection. It doesn’t use your phone’s antenna. That’s why your phone loses data service, as it has temporarily given its SIM to the car to use - your SIM card can only be active in one device at the same time - either your phone or the car (via RSAP).

So if you want your phone to have data service, you need to get the car to share its data service via the car’s built in Wi-fi, and then connect your phone to that Wi-fi hotspot.

bother

Post by bother » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:37 pm

I know how rSAP works.

My point was that where do you think the car's own WiFi hotspot that you've connected your phone to is getting it's Internet access from?

That's right, the phone is connected by WiFi to the car which is in turn connected by Bluetooth (rSAP profile) to the SIM in, yes, your phone 🤦‍♂️

And...if you're using Android Auto, why are you bothered about your car having an Internet connection at all? Everything is being driven from your phone which has the Internet connection in the first place.

MrTrilby

Post by MrTrilby » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:12 pm

With respect, the SIM is just an access key that tells the mobile network who you are so it can decide whether to give the mobile device access.

The fact that the SIM is physically located in your phone is pretty much irrelevant when you’re using RSAP - which is the point of it. But it’s a difficult concept to get your head around, which is perhaps why so few phones bother to support it.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”