Columbus streaming to tablets? Explanation needed.

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Nick Lag

Columbus streaming to tablets? Explanation needed.

Post by Nick Lag » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:28 pm

Hi. I am new here. Havent received my Kodiaq yet, but am wondering about streaming for the vacation abroad.
Is this possible with a sim installed and wlan hotspot:
Fill a sd card with mp4 movies and be able to stream them to the kids in the back seat with ipads? Or even better, let them independently choose movies on their ipads like in an in-flight system in a airplane?
If yes:
1 what format, codecs and resolution is needed on the videofiles?
2 What apps are needed on the receiving ipads?
3 When streaming over the cars wlan, does it use any data? Eg. Round tripping over internet in some way?
4 Any of you have any good/bad experience of this
190TDI, Style, Sunroof, Park assist, Trailer assist, Area view, Columbus, Canton, Electric driver seat, Kessy, 19" Triglav, Lava blue, Trafic Jam assist, ACC, Leather interior, DSG,

MrTrilby

Re: Columbus streaming to tablets? Explanation needed.

Post by MrTrilby » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:11 pm

You can download the Kodiaq manual - p159 covers this:

1EA57762-D86A-48D6-BD28-E3373CACF909.jpeg

3F7573D4-24D5-4F0A-8378-9A69396CBE2D.jpeg

190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

Inkarr

Post by Inkarr » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:19 pm

There is another post around this.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=402&start=40

Someone pointed out that the app might not yet support the streaming to 2 tablets function. I attached a screenshot of the Media Command description. Not exactly clear.

I actually pick my car up tomorrow so I’ll have a play over the next few days and see what I can figure out

0823E494-C562-4390-AD33-287984857F4E.png

Kodiaq Edition 5 seater 2.0 (190) DSG in Petrol Blue.
Electric towbar, Heated windscreen and washers, Assistance Pack, Area view with trailer assist, Travel Assist, Childrens pack, Virtual pedal, Heated steering wheel

Nick Lag

Post by Nick Lag » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:39 am

Thank you for the replies. Even though I have already read the pages in the manual on this I am curious if this would be and look forward to you testing it out Inkarr!
Giving total control of the infotainment system to two brother, 5 and 10 years old in the back seat while travelling autobahn through Germany would be a lethal situation.
I generally dont see the point in this total control. Why would anyone but the driver have the full control of the navigation or even the radio/music from the back seat? From what I know this far of how it works, it doesnt sound "simply clever"...

Nick Lag

Post by Nick Lag » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:59 am

Besides, the manual does not say if the resoultion MUST be 720x576p, only that it shows max resolution 576p. And must it have any specific audio encoding? 576p is a DVD standard, but what happens if you throw in a 720p or even bigger? Does it resize or reject those files?
Some players can reformat files on the go, some older DVD-only purpose players only accept one size and thats it. The info on h.264 in the manual though, indicates that it might accept and handle different sizes. Todays standard is 720p and 1080p and it would be nice if you could just throw in those files and they would show up correctly.
190TDI, Style, Sunroof, Park assist, Trailer assist, Area view, Columbus, Canton, Electric driver seat, Kessy, 19" Triglav, Lava blue, Trafic Jam assist, ACC, Leather interior, DSG,

Inkarr

Post by Inkarr » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:15 am

Nick Lag wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:39 am
Thank you for the replies. Even though I have already read the pages in the manual on this I am curious if this would be and look forward to you testing it out Inkarr!
Giving total control of the infotainment system to two brother, 5 and 10 years old in the back seat while travelling autobahn through Germany would be a lethal situation.
I generally dont see the point in this total control. Why would anyone but the driver have the full control of the navigation or even the radio/music from the back seat? From what I know this far of how it works, it doesnt sound "simply clever"...
I haven’t actually added the Media Command option to my build, but the dealer said it wasn’t needed for the streaming functionality but I do wonder about the dealers knowledge to be fair.

If the streaming doesn’t work because either, I do need the Media Command option, or the streaming function isn’t actually enabled yet my work around is to download suitable films/programs for offline viewing from Netflix etc onto the tablets. There maybe limitations on viewing when outside the U.K. though.
Electric towbar, Heated windscreen and washers, Assistance Pack, Area view with trailer assist, Travel Assist, Childrens pack, Virtual pedal, Heated steering wheel

MrTrilby

Post by MrTrilby » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:18 am

Nick Lag wrote:
My children are a little older and pretty trustworthy. On many of our journeys they are much more interested in what’s playing than I am, so they frequently control the playlist in our current car by streaming their phone to their car. I’ve ordered the command option so they can properly control the playlist for me.

I can see it wouldn’t work for everyone, but I guess that’s why it’s just an option and not standard.
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

Inkarr

Post by Inkarr » Tue May 01, 2018 6:51 am

Inkarr wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:15 am
Nick Lag wrote:
I haven’t actually added the Media Command option to my build, but the dealer said it wasn’t needed for the streaming functionality but I do wonder about the dealers knowledge to be fair.

If the streaming doesn’t work because either, I do need the Media Command option, or the streaming function isn’t actually enabled yet my work around is to download suitable films/programs for offline viewing from Netflix etc onto the tablets. There maybe limitations on viewing when outside the U.K. though.

I haven't managed to get the streaming function working. Finally picked the car up yesterday and i will write a review of my thoughts at some point. I have a Sim in the columbus system to use as the car hotspot (GiffGaff just to see if it works and if not I just let it expire and revert back to using my phone as the data connection)

When i tried to launch the Media Command app it told me that it wasn't enabled on my car and to contact my Skoda representative so i might need that function to even try and use the streaming feature. I will have a play a bit more and see what i can figure out when i get time. By the time i got back last night, sorted the kids out, tea, baths and bed, but all the child seats, seat protectors, kick protectors and set the basics up (radio, phone, appleplay) it was getting late and i was just that weirdo sat in his car late at night :lol: so didn't get to much more time to play with the media streaming feature. Loving the car so far though.

Nick Lag

Post by Nick Lag » Tue May 01, 2018 8:07 am

Sounds great Inkarr. Looking forward to hear more about your expirience.
I can totally identify with being that weirdo sitting in a car with the manual, setting everything up so everyone else in the family can have a pleasant ride and wife a trouble free drive.
Its for me like setting up a new router and wifi at home, only, that you can do with the shades pulled down. Everyone in the family but me have the impression that everything "just works" right out of the box :lol: , therefore it would be nice to present a slimmed down solution.
Also would be great to not have a media command ipad battle in the back seat of what playlist or volume level that should be on.

Jersey Boy

Post by Jersey Boy » Tue May 08, 2018 5:27 am

Has anyone made any progress with streaming or is it still a case of waiting for an updated app?

Road trip through France coming up so would be useful...

Thanks in advance all.
Edition, 2.0 TDI, 150 HP DSG. Black with black leather, area view, paranoramic sunroof, retractable towbar, child pack (inc fold down tables), Canton sound system, media command and front seat isofix :D

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”