Android Auto / Mirror Link - which phones

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
glenlivetguy

Android Auto / Mirror Link - which phones

Post by glenlivetguy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:34 am

Hi all,
first real question...

My other half's iphone connects fine to our scout, but I'm an Android user. I've installed the latest Android Auto on my handset (wileyfox swift 2) but it doesn't connect when I plug it into the USB, and activating it manually makes no difference.

Handily enough, my contract finished a while back so looking for a new phone - wondering what phones people are using that work with Android Auto or MirrorLink? And which is better of those two?

Cheers,
Simon
Quartz Grey Scout - 190PS DSG 4x4 7 Seat

Colin Lambert

Re: Android Auto / Mirror Link - which phones

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:27 am

I use Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) running Nougat (Android 7.0)
i only connect via bluetooth, which connects perfectly, so cannot help with other connectivity - sorry.
Moderator.SE L. 1.4DSG Jungle Green, PanRoof, Front Sensors, Beige Alcantara, Triglavs.Canton system. S/saver.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
“People say doing nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day”. :lol:
Winnie The Pooh.

glenlivetguy

Post by glenlivetguy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:28 am

Colin, can you get the apps via bluetooth - I thought they needed a wired connection?
Quartz Grey Scout - 190PS DSG 4x4 7 Seat

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:11 pm

To be honest I haven't tried.
I am so old fashioned ;) I haven't felt the need. I don't have the car connected to the internet either as I am retired so I don't need it for business & it is actually nice to have a pause from t'internet.
My 'phone gets any emails and texts.
So I only BT it so that I can make and answer calls.
I must admit, I do think cars are getting far too techy.
I am just waiting for the first Mway pile up caused by some idiot engrossed in web surfing while driving.
But then I am only an old dinosaur :lol:
Moderator.SE L. 1.4DSG Jungle Green, PanRoof, Front Sensors, Beige Alcantara, Triglavs.Canton system. S/saver.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
“People say doing nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day”. :lol:
Winnie The Pooh.

iwarv

Post by iwarv » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:21 pm

Certain features can only be had if you boot into Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. I certainly do not use these features. I presume neither does Colin, so us two are not the best people to inform you about using these features.

What I will say is:
A colleague of mine uses Apple CarPlay in his car (not a Skoda) and he *has* to connect to his entertainment unit using USB. It will not work over BlueTooth.
God knows what he does while driving that requires these features.

For placing and receiving phone calls, and to play music from your phone - all over BlueTooth - you do not need Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. The Columbus system itself performs these features perfectly.
SE-L 1.4 150bhp DSG 4x4, 7 Seats, Quartz Grey, Front Sensors, Front DashCam

Hugh Fanism

Post by Hugh Fanism » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:06 pm

glenlivetguy wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:34 am
Hi all,
first real question...

My other half's iphone connects fine to our scout, but I'm an Android user. I've installed the latest Android Auto on my handset (wileyfox swift 2) but it doesn't connect when I plug it into the USB, and activating it manually makes no difference.

Handily enough, my contract finished a while back so looking for a new phone - wondering what phones people are using that work with Android Auto or MirrorLink? And which is better of those two?

Cheers,
Simon
Android auto should work with any Android phone I would have thought. It's rubbish regardless.

Mirrorlink will only work with phones that are licensed for it. My Oneplus 3 won't connect to it but my works Samdung S5 does. I'd prefer to have use of Mirrorlink than Android Auto but I can't say I've got a real use for either. I'm always using the Columbus navigation because I've got no sense of direction and I don't live where I grew up though so I always make sure the car's connecting to my phone's hotspot for traffic evasion.

Bluetooth is good enough for connecting and playing music via Google music/Spotify etc.

Edit: I meant to give you this link to compatible Mirrorlink phones. I'd suspect that any phone from the listed manufacturers will be licensed whether listed or not https://mirrorlink.com/phones
1.4 DSG SE L, council blue, acc.
"Johnny ain't so crazy, he's always got a line for the ladies"

bother

Post by bother » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:27 pm

Android Auto currently requires a USB connection, although Android Auto over Bluetooth is apparently in the offing.

I had a Google Nexus 5X which worked fine although the phones processor speed made it a little laggy at times. Don't forget that with Android Auto & Apple CarPlay the processing is done on the phone and the car head unit is simply a display, so the more powerful your phone the better the experience.

I now have a Google Pixel 2 and it's silky smooth. Way way better than with the Nexus 5X.

I use Android Auto most of the time now as I find Google Maps or Waze much better than the built in Sat nav when it comes to traffic and disruption and avoiding them. It also gives me access to podcast apps from my phone and various music apps which I use (Beyondpod, Google Play Music, Deezer, Audible, Spotify etc).

Being Google, it generally knows what I'm up to before I do, so when I get in the car and plug the phone in, the home screen is more than likely already showing a link to the place I want to go to if I've either been searching for a location using Google Maps, or it's in my Calendar.

Another plus of Android Auto is that you've got access to the Google Assistant which is infinitely more powerful than the built in voice control.

I'm not an Apple user so haven't really player with CarPlay but I'd assume it does similar stuff.
Edition 1.4DSG, Front Sensors, Spacesaver

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:57 pm

For a list of compatible phones by model and which services are suppoted by phone/infotainment system go here:

https://compatibilitylist.skoda-auto.com

Android Auto requires a USB connection but its pretty pants anyway so i wouldnt bother.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Edition - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey - Canton
Ordered 3rd April - Build Week 26 - Collected 17 August

Philippe72

Post by Philippe72 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:26 am

hello

It's ok with latest samsung.

And by the way, i have an iphone, car play is very confortable to access podcast
Deezer is ok also

With android, you can get Waze on your main screen, useful to avoid traffic jams in big cities. unfortunately, Apple is blocking it on car play to avoid competition with her own maps application....

Have a nice day
Now driving a Mazda CX-5, waiting for a KODIAQ TDI 150 DSG (April 2018)

whataniceday

Post by whataniceday » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:14 am

https://www.android.com/auto/faq/

Android Auto is not available everywhere and it doesn’t support all android devices. You can read more about it in the link.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”