Issues with Columbus & Canton in SEL

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
stevec

Issues with Columbus & Canton in SEL

Post by stevec » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:50 am

Has anyone else had any issues with the quality of the sound in their Kodiaq?

I've got a 9.2" Columbus with Canton system, and quite frankly the sound is awful. The sound has very little bass and seems very thin. The subs kind of mask the lack of bass in the actual sound but you can still hear there's something missing. I've tried every adjustment possible, even the manual EQ settings to try and boost the lacking frequencies but it just doesn't work at all.

When listening to radio it sounds fine, but as soon as you listen to mp3 via the USB or SD Card I'm getting a very weak sound. It's not the quality of the mp3 that is at fault as the tracks all sound fine everywhere else, its just in the Kodiaq where they sound bad.

Any other experience of this, or any known fixes?

Thanks!
1.4 TSi 150 BHP DSG SEL Kodiaq
Black on black

Colin Lambert

Re: Issues with Columbus & Canton in SEL

Post by Colin Lambert » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:03 am

I have the smaller (older ) screen Columbus with Canton and all sound the same.
I admit I am not a great listener to music and had the Canton not been free there is no way I would have wasted £400 on it!
Moderator.SE L. 1.4DSG Jungle Green, PanRoof, Front Sensors, Beige Alcantara, Triglavs.Canton system. S/saver.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
“People say doing nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day”. :lol:
Winnie The Pooh.

Rob M

Post by Rob M » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:03 pm

The only issue I have had/having is when you try and voice command to switch from, say, CD to Radio and the voice tells you that it cannot find the address or the phone is not connected or something.
It even happens when im saying R A Y D I O T W O as clearly as is possible.
Doesn't happen all the time but it has become a running joke.
Kodiaq SE L 1.4 150BHP Manual in Moon White Metallic.
1988 Pontiac Firebird 5.0V8 TBI in Red
1991 Lotus Excel 'Hethel Celebration'

elcamino78

Post by elcamino78 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:08 pm

For those with "bad" sound: Did you try changing the Canton Optimization to "Front" or "Driver" in the Sound Settings Menu?
That makes a major difference.

alexander_5

Post by alexander_5 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:53 pm

stevec wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:50 am
Has anyone else had any issues with the quality of the sound in their Kodiaq?

I've got a 9.2" Columbus with Canton system, and quite frankly the sound is awful. The sound has very little bass and seems very thin. The subs kind of mask the lack of bass in the actual sound but you can still hear there's something missing. I've tried every adjustment possible, even the manual EQ settings to try and boost the lacking frequencies but it just doesn't work at all.

When listening to radio it sounds fine, but as soon as you listen to mp3 via the USB or SD Card I'm getting a very weak sound. It's not the quality of the mp3 that is at fault as the tracks all sound fine everywhere else, its just in the Kodiaq where they sound bad.

Any other experience of this, or any known fixes?

Thanks!

Actually we experience the same, i.e. the bass is no better than with any "average" system -- I don't know if there is any way to get it enhanced.
Edition (7 seats) 2.0 TSI 4x4 DSG Moon White, Sirius, Black leather -- R side airbags, Crew protection assist, ACC, AV+TA+F/R sensors, Heated windscreen+nozzles, Tri-zone A/C, EF towbar, Canton SS, SS wheel, Folding table, Electric child sfty lck+blinds

MoominPapa

Post by MoominPapa » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:10 pm

It gets marginally better with time. Stick with it. I found the Canton in mine was very bright initially, but with burn in over 6 months of driving, it's started to warm up and there are some lower frequencies coming through. At least now it no longer strains my ears with female vocals.

I agree with sentiments here that the Canton system isn't worth the premium.
Driving since May 2017 a 1.4TSI 2WD DSG Edition in Petrol Blue. Car finally sorted after 9 trips to workshop.

Jon Edwards

Post by Jon Edwards » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:59 am

I am unsure what you were expecting from a relatively cheap upgrade, if you thought £400 (actually only £300 when I got mine as I wanted a spare wheel which would have been £100 anyway) would buy you a Bose or Bowers & Wilkins quality system then you are deluded.

I actually find the Canton quite good generally, I agree it’s not high end premium but you are not paying for premium quality components, just extra speakers and more options on the setup. It’s dificult to compare to the standard system as you have to live with it on a daily basis to make an educated opinion.

Additionally if the quality of sound is poor then it could be the quality of the source, many people play low quality lossy files through a system and expect it to sound great, garbage in garbage out I’m afraid, I play high bit rate FLAC files and they seem to have enough definition that I need and can expect in a moving vehicle. Also considering the average age of a kodiaq driver seems to be ‘coffin dodger’ then people should realise that it could be the persons hearing degrading and not the system.
Kodiaq Edition - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey - Canton
Ordered 3rd April - Build Week 26 - Collected 17 August

andyvee

Post by andyvee » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:03 pm

I had Canton in my last 2 Octavia 3's, and didn't waste the money on it this time round. There are gaping 'holes' in the frequency response of the speakers - if you have get a pink noise mp3 and play that and then use a spectrum analyzer on your phone you can see them.

It seems the crossover between the bass/mids and tweeters in the doors is the culprit, and too low a frequency is being passed to the tweeters.
REJECTED BW23 Kodiaq Edition 2.0 TSi 4x4 DSG Petrol Blue with Cream Leather
DCC, ACC, Ventilated seats, Virtual pedal, Heated windscreen, washers, rear seats and leather MFSW, ACC, Ambient lighting, Park assist, Travel assist, Area view, Textile mats.

Esnw33430

Post by Esnw33430 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:51 am

Must admit over the years I have spent lots on car audio, I don't want to count how many hours were spent stripping interiors bare and applying sound deadening mat / running very expensive cables / finding places to hide caps etc.

I read "canton" as nothing more than "extra speakers", anything that's geared to adding more speakers without a serious uplift in signal processing in most factory fit installs is very likely a wasted process. As Andy says above, the complaints scream of poor signal processing. if the crossovers are fudged then adding more speakers just makes the bad sound worse, sort the signals into groups the speakers are designed to reproduce first and it will sound much better.

I'll be looking to sort what's standard first then "maybe" replace the existing speakers or add a small sub.

I'm wondering if there will be a crossover pack in each door or is it done from the under seat module, in the doors is an easy fix; in the under seat module may require some more intrusive surgery.
Ordered 24/10/17 build w46 Edition TDI 190 dsg 4x4, 7 seats in petrol blue. I'm in Wigan :D :D

Esnw33430

Post by Esnw33430 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:23 am

Seems the under seat is "dsp" but I'm not clear so far if that's different to standard. It could be the cables in the wrong connections on the taps in crossovers. Or the crossovers are not properly matched to speakers after a supply change.

More so when some are pleased with the sound and some are not, it would all be bad if the system was naff.
Ordered 24/10/17 build w46 Edition TDI 190 dsg 4x4, 7 seats in petrol blue. I'm in Wigan :D :D

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”