Canton Sound System?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Woolmeister

Canton Sound System?

Post by Woolmeister » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:17 am

Is it any good?

How many speakers and how many watts is it rated at, please? Does it give you anything else over the standard audio system?

Currently looking at used Kodiaq vRS models - some of them have Canton; Some don't. Just wondering if it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Cheers,

Steve

Zach

Re: Canton Sound System?

Post by Zach » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:51 am

10 speaker (including centre speaker and subwoofer), 570W amp. Has DSP so surround sound and sound focus changing (all, front, driver). Worthwhile if you like listening to music on the road, which I assume you are if you're asking about it. You should however keep in mind that it's not going to be on par with the likes of a Bowers & Wilkins or Burmester sound system. I did test drive a new RS4 over a few days with B&O and wasn't impressed, the Kodiaq's Canton system honestly sounded just as good, surprisingly.
BW32 2017 Kodiaq 190TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey + Sirius rims, 5yr Warranty, Sunroof, Sleep Pack, Rear Heated Seats, Driver Profiles
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:56 am

I don't have it and can report that Radio 3 plays perfectly well on the standard system supplied with the SE.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:12 am

I had obligatory Canton as a prezzy from Skoda for being a very early adopter. ( would much rather have had the money off or some other extra that I actually wanted.)
Having had 3 Yetis before the Kodiaq and 2 Karoqs since, I would say, if you have to pay extra, don't bother. My hearing is pretty good and I can hardly notice the difference on radio 3 or classic FM.
Bear in mind, that although well insulated, you are still driving inside a tin box with the attendant tyre and wind noise,
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:43 pm

Zach wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:51 am
10 speaker (including centre speaker and subwoofer), 570W amp. Has DSP so surround sound and sound focus changing (all, front, driver). Worthwhile if you like listening to music on the road, which I assume you are if you're asking about it. You should however keep in mind that it's not going to be on par with the likes of a Bowers & Wilkins or Burmester sound system. I did test drive a new RS4 over a few days with B&O and wasn't impressed, the Kodiaq's Canton system honestly sounded just as good, surprisingly.
I would agree that it doesnt touch B&W in terms of overall performance theres not much that would, that said Canton isn't in that region for price. You get what you pay for and in real terms it's not expensive.

If you like listening to music (other than Radio 3 or Classic FM) then I would recommend it. But as I have said several times on this forum the head unit and speakers are only as good as the source of music. If it's a standard FM signal or low bit rate MP3's then chances are it won't be that noticable, if your listening to high quality FLAC or CDs then you will.

I actually find the extra sub to be a little to heavy and intrusive at times but that's easily changed within Columbus.

Colin was correct in saying that wind and road noise is a slight issue.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Edition - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey - Canton
Sportline on order with Virtual Cockpit.

Fuzzz

Post by Fuzzz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:14 pm

Still canton is waaaaaay better than standard system. Standard system is totally crap...the worst I ever heard...so if possible take the canton...set the mode to DRIVER and voila...
Skoda Kodiaq 2.0TDI 190hp Elegance.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:22 pm

Fuzzz wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:14 pm
Still canton is waaaaaay better than standard system. Standard system is totally crap...the worst I ever heard...so if possible take the canton...set the mode to DRIVER and voila...
Strange! I listen to Classic FM, (on DAB), on the standard system and the quality is certainly not crap. That's more than can be said about some of the music played on other radio stations!
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (123HP more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

Fuzzz

Post by Fuzzz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Taste of sound is personal...I do not like standard system.
Skoda Kodiaq 2.0TDI 190hp Elegance.

C2atb

Post by C2atb » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:05 pm

If you want a bit of depth to your music then it’s needed

I’ve never owned a car without a subwoofer but seriously miss when I’m in a rental you really hear what your missing
Black magic 1.4 SE ,7 seats , canton , rear view , privacy glass with tints, heko wind deflectors , ambient lighting , Amundsen , kessy , power tailgate/foot ,DCC, 22” OZ wheels , sportline style grill,montecarlo badges , ghost lights

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:38 pm

C2atb wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:05 pm
If you want a bit of depth to your music then it’s needed

I’ve never owned a car without a subwoofer but seriously miss when I’m in a rental you really hear what your missing
I'm not even sure I know what a subwoofer is.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”