Video out

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Genebaby

Video out

Post by Genebaby » Sun May 13, 2018 9:43 am

Is there a way to get a video out signal from the system?

I'm thinking of sending it to screens in the headrests but not sure if it's possible.

I have had it in another car that way for years but it was coming from a DVD player we fitted, so it was easy to do.

Just wondering if I can do something similar.

iwarv

Re: Video out

Post by iwarv » Sun May 13, 2018 10:43 am

My kids are teenagers now, but way back when they were just toddlers I had the same line of thoughts as you do. Obviously not for the Kodiaq, but the Honda.
Even then there were commercial systems that catered for this, and I got close to buying such a system.

But then I thought; "why bother with that?"

It's far more convenient (and cheaper?) to buy two tablets which the kids could also use for games, video, music etc. inside and outside of the car?
Luck would have it Google had just released their first Nexus tablet. Snapped up two of them and the kids loved them. For a while.

You can even get convenient holders that you can hang from the headrest of the front seats, but in our case the kids just wanted to hold on to theirs so didn't even bother getting those.
SE-L 1.4 150bhp DSG 4x4, 7 Seats, Quartz Grey, Front Sensors, Front DashCam

iwarv

Post by iwarv » Sun May 13, 2018 10:57 am

And my point was????

You can put anything on that tablet you want.

Boys don't want to watch "Angelina Ballerina" and girls don't want to watch "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers".
So why stream the same content to all the devices and get bored, upset offspring ?

Put onto each tablet what each child likes.

I don't have of these, but you can even get DLNA devices like this one. But that's a bit more tech savvy, because now the kids would need to learn how to browse that device. But the selling point for some might be that you put all the content centrally onto one device and let each tablet stream from it what it wants.

This may also be a great alternative to the Kodiaq's Media Command option, which some here seem to struggle with (as may I, if I ever bother to look into it).
SE-L 1.4 150bhp DSG 4x4, 7 Seats, Quartz Grey, Front Sensors, Front DashCam

Genebaby

Post by Genebaby » Mon May 14, 2018 8:45 am

Thanks for that, I'm not sure entirely yet what is possible with the system in the Kodiaq, I was thinking of looking into it on an extended test drive soon.

I have a few questions to answer in regards to if I am more likely to use my Android phone connected via Android Auto, or just via BT.

The kids do have a tablet each, and in Oz the Kodiaq comes with tablet holders as standard, but there is something special about screens in the headrest, like I have in the one car. The kids do love it, and it sure helped when the youngest was very small, she was well entertained.

Thinking about it now, like I did when I did the previous install, I'm not sure what happens to those tablets in the event of an accident, which is why I put them fully into the headrest, and not attached or strapped on as an afterthought, which was much easier....hmmm.....

I'll have to look into that so I'm hoping that they have been crash tested.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”