Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Is the petrol 1.4 enough for 2 adults + 3 kids and 4x4 ?

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Beledoux 
#1 ·
Hi all,

planning to order soon and thinking of the petrol 1.4 4x4 due to limited km per year. Any happy owner want to comment if engine is powerful enough, including on mountain roads (vacation twice a year)? Is the engine not to sensitive to the load (no need to trail)?

I am not looking for a sporty car but would like to be able to overtake safely when needed !

Thanks a lot!

#2 ·
#4 ·
Unfortunately I can only give my short term experience from test drives as I am still waiting delivery on my 1.4 Kodiaq.
The first test drive was with two adults and two children 1.4 4x4. I found the Kodiaq was quite quick off the line, and I currently drive a 2001 5 litre V8 ML Mercedes so I know what power feels like. Its not surprisingly, the Kodiaq is not as quick, but at 11l/100km Highway and 18l/100km Urban the ML does cost a lot to run.
On the second test drive I simulated a passing maneuver from 80km/h to 100km/h (The maximum speed on New Zealand highways) , and was surprised to see the speedo at 120km/h. I also played with launch control, :D says it all. The Kodiaq is only about 2 seconds slower to get to 100km/h. Based on the test drives I have ordered a 1.4 4x4 and I am looking forward to having more petrol money to use to explore with my family.
The only way for you to know for a certainty that the Kodiaq will meet you expectations is to test drive one yourself, but I would definitely recommend taking one for a test drive.

#5 ·
I can't comment on how much power (if any) the 4X4 saps. but I frequently carry two large adults (I am 17 stone 108 Kg can't give away the weight of female passenger, but she is no light weight! :? ) and 2 large dogs at 27Kg each, = 2 children? I also have spare wheel which weighs about 20Kg and pan roof. which is heavier than a tin roof.
The extra weight over me driving solo makes no discernible difference to speed, acceleration or petrol consumption.
I find the performance and 'overtakeability' to be superb, more like a 2.0litre.

#6 ·
Thanks to all. Test drive is planned tomorrow on a 2wd : no way to find a test car 4x4 in France. but it is always good to get feedbacks from real users, as opposed to car testers who are big fan of diesel in France. According to your comments, petrol should make it, to be confirmed tomorrow.

#7 ·
I drive a 1.4 TSI 150 BHP DSG 4x4 and carry 3 adults (not lightweights) and 3 greyhounds (average 32kg each) regularly. No problems with overtaking or power delivery as I find the DSG gearbox is good at keeping the engine in its sweet spot in normal or sport modes. I had a 2.0 TDI 140bhp Yeti before and I find the Kodiaq in this form just as good apart from fuel consumption, but even that is improving as the engine beds in.

#8 ·
Thanks. Test drive went well and 1.4 is smooth and powerful enough for me. I placed the order but unfortunatly without the sunroof : it would require 1 year for delivery compared to 4 months without it. 1 year was too much for me, too bad !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.