Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

RaceChip tuning

17K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  dzuser 
#1 ·
My RaceChip gizmo to reduce accelerator lag has arrived, and easily fitted in 10 mins.
Here's the kit - magic box with male & female plugs, and mode selector
Eyewear Grey Bag Audio equipment Personal protective equipment

Removing original plug at top of accelerator pedal is bit of a pfaff to be honest - press the red locking tab and ease upwards. Here's the new arrangement -
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire

- and selector affixed with adhesive pad supplied (loads of sticky & cable ties supplied.)
Automotive design Steering wheel Steering part Personal luxury car Vehicle

I'll report on performance next week after 750 mile run to Switzerland.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure how I feel about where the controller is placed. If you put it in the small cubby space I think that would've been even more discrete.

Am looking forward to see how the performance is though.

#4 ·
Oh sod it ! I couldn't wait any longer, I have order the same sort of thing but from DTUK.

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/box-details.php?id=27

Reasons I went for this one:
The box looks more compact and all in one.
with next day delivery and a discount I got the Pedal Plus Box for a few quid less than the XLR.
Company is UK based, so less costly if need arises for returns.

Keep us updated on yours KPH, and I will do likewise :)

#5 ·
Zach said:
Not sure how I feel about where the controller is placed. If you put it in the small cubby space I think that would've been even more discrete.

Am looking forward to see how the performance is though.
Zach - I don't really do Discrete!
Magic box is fixed underside above pedals - you'd have to look hard to find it.
Controller position is work-in-progress.

Initial impression is reduction in lag is AmaZing! - any gear at any speed, without craziness of screaming Sport mode. Think I'm going to love it.

#6 ·
More on the RaceChip throttle response modifier, having done a thousand miles on a wide variety of road conditions.
Firstly the module offers 7 setting -
Eco and Eco+ which I can promise you I will never use!
Normal, which is a Škoda intended- bless 'em.
Sport and Sport+ which I find best for general road use.
Race and Race+ which are too leery for me in a car of this sort.
Sport+ virtually eliminates any throttle lag in any gear at any speed, in any driving mode settling. It allows me to accurately call for as much or little power as is needed, without the guesswork of the 2-second lag factory setting - I found this particularly irksome pulling into traffic with generous throttle, when nothing happens and then Bang! - onto the brakes. Passengers hated it, and told me off for "driving like a prat"
Cornering is now a delight, being able apply the right amount of power to drive the car through the corner, and accurately accelerate on exit.
One benefit I didn't expect - I now tootle about in Eco mode most of the time, knowing that easing or jumping on the throttle will provide instant response.
-And in Sport mode? You'll have to try to believe it!

#7 ·
Have you noticed any reduction in fuel economy?

#10 ·
TheSwede said:
Anyone tried this tuning?
https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/tuning/car/skoda/kodiaq-from-2017-onwards/2-0-tdi-4x4-190ps140kw-1968-ccm/

Resonable price for 25% more torque and must be quite an performance improvement.
I've got DTE Systems PowerControl and PedalBox. Works really well, especially when paired with PedalBox that greatly improves throttle response and makes the car more fun to drive. Money well spent. Plus it's quick to install and easy to remove without any trace. Will try to write some more detailed review later on.

#11 ·
BikeBert said:
I've got DTE Systems PowerControl and PedalBox. Works really well, especially when paired with PedalBox that greatly improves throttle response and makes the car more fun to drive. Money well spent. Plus it's quick to install and easy to remove without any trace. Will try to write some more detailed review later on.
I looked into DTUK, DTE and local brand all using the same box. The only thing I'm worried about is the warranty as it's a brand new car.

Any more details, images, are highly appreciated :) I was thinking to go the for 'power box' only and not PedalBox so curious how it's connected and stored in the car.

#13 ·
I obviously can't compare the two as I only need one!
I went for the RACECHIP XLR as I think it is neater and there is a cavity in the Kodiaq bodywork right next to the throttle pedal into which the 'brain' fits perfectly. So easy to instal.
On the XLR you have a round switching control that shows which power you are on at a glance and also lights up. on the DTUK version it is just a controller with up and down buttons.

#14 ·
TheSwede said:
BikeBert said:
I looked into DTUK, DTE and local brand all using the same box. The only thing I'm worried about is the warranty as it's a brand new car.

Any more details, images, are highly appreciated :) I was thinking to go the for 'power box' only and not PedalBox so curious how it's connected and stored in the car.
I posted my short review of DTE Systems boxes here

Oreaird said:
Which to go for! The xlr seems cheaper? Is there much difference between the 2?
I went for PedalBox as the "brain" is smaller and whole unit more compact. In my opinion the XLR switch control has just too many options. In my experience it's rather "set it and foget it" kinda thing. I chose the "Sport" setting as the "Sport Plus" was too aggressive for my taste. Therefore, once you decide on your favorite setting you can simply forget about unit's existence, unless you really like fiddling with things. I installed my controller under the dashboard so it's not visible. However, should I ever need it, I can just reach for it and remove it off from its neat holder/holster and change the settings on the go. But again, some people like to glue all those shiny things in front of them to create StarTrek-like console :)

#15 ·
BikeBert said:
So if you go for the PowerControl it's still worth adding the PedalBox to improve the throttle lag? How is the PowerControl without the PedalBox?

#16 ·
stevekhart said:
BikeBert said:
So if you go for the PowerControl it's still worth adding the PedalBox to improve the throttle lag? How is the PowerControl without the PedalBox?
Please check my answer here:
https://www.kodiaqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1255&p=13561#p13561

#17 ·
Hi All,

New to the forum and Kodiaq ownership. I've been reading up regarding options to reduce / remove the Kodiaq's throttle lag.

Therefore, was wondering if anyone is able to comment regarding the options available via VDCS (e.g. "Audi" setting), and there effectiveness at reducing throttle lag?

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.